New MT10

I was really hoping I'd like it, so I built myself up to thinking yeah I can get on to that.....kinda. I then saw it at the NEC and its incredibly underwhelming....heaps of cheap angular plastics and actually less comfortable ergos than the FZ1..for me the looks were one thing but it just feels too cheap. Its a bit sad that they've gone with quite such a complicated bit of fairing for it... taking a few more design cues from the R1 would have ended up with a much nicer looking bike.

Do these m-10 have to get the tranny rebuilt as the R1 does?
Seeing as though they haven't hit the showroom floors yet, I doubt it.

heaps of cheap angular plastics and actually less comfortable ergos than the FZ1
Remember, this isn't aimed at FZ1 riders, this is a pure sport bike, not a sport tourer like the FZ1. Which makes me wonder why onyone would buy this over an R1. Only the guys that like a naked sport bike will end up buying it (Heck 5 years ago I would have, I love naked bikes, but I built my FZ to be this bike).

I think the ergonomics and geometry are quite different between the MT-10 and the R1.

With that and the other changes they made, it would seem like your standard issue super naked; less powerful, slightly softer and with a bit more travel than the super bike.

Last edited:
The advertising I have seen is for an easier to ride (ergonomically) sport bike.

I'd love to take one for a test ride. but with all the mods I've done to my FZ, I'll be keeping it. I would like to get a teniere for long distance riding, and/or a motocross bike for fun, but I don't have a lot of spare time with a young family to ride as much as I want and fit in my other hobbies and family time now. I think another bike would be a divorce for me.

Seeing as though they haven't hit the showroom floors yet, I doubt it.

Remember, this isn't aimed at FZ1 riders, this is a pure sport bike, not a sport tourer like the FZ1. Which makes me wonder why onyone would buy this over an R1. Only the guys that like a naked sport bike will end up buying it (Heck 5 years ago I would have, I love naked bikes, but I built my FZ to be this bike).
Is the same reason that I bought the Tuono over the RSV4. My broken skateboard wrists simply can't do clip-on s on the street.

And I thought my TV4 was ugly... Yikes Yamaha!

It wouldn't be too hard for Yamaha to add some fairings to this to pacify the FZ1 riders. I wouldn't be surprised if a faired version comes out a year or 2 later.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I compared the R1 rake, trail and suspension travel to the MT-10 and they're actually identical, as is the fuel capacity. The wheelbase is 20 mm longer on the R1 and it's 20 lbs lighter; I'm sure the pegs are higher and the rider triangle is much more aggressive. It really does look like they aimed for 'superbike with handlebars' with the MT-10, similar to the Tuono I guess.

The previous comments about Yamaha possibly releasing a faired version in a year or two makes sense, just like they did with the FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer

It wouldn't be too hard for Yamaha to add some fairings to this to pacify the FZ1 riders. I wouldn't be surprised if a faired version comes out a year or 2 later.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Looks bad enough cosmetically as it is, I imagime it would be even more hideous with a fairing

You have to remember, this is a Naked R1, NOT a replacement FZ1. This is not aimed at the sport tourer, this is aimed at the canyon carver.

This is the bike I wanted from Yamaha but they didn't sell it back then - so I converted mine to be like this, Now they have brought this out.
Are you going to buy it? I'd like to have some wind protection, I like to go fast on the freeway. The saddle was too hard and angular, but they are going to sell a comfort saddle. I think I'll wait until 2017 to see if a faired one is planned

Sent from my waste-time-device

Seeing on some forums that Yamaha Canada is bringing this bike in and it will be called the FZ-10. Seems like Yamaha USA has no plans of bringing it in.

Seeing on some forums that Yamaha Canada is bringing this bike in and it will be called the FZ-10. Seems like Yamaha USA has no plans of bringing it in.

My wife and I went to a motorcycle show last weekend in Indianapolis and I had a chance to talk to one of the Yamaha reps there about the MT10 coming to the USA. He said they were taking a look at the sales in the European market first before thinking about releasing in the USA

The mt10 felt a little bit taller than the fz1 but that could be due to the showroom mounting. It has a thin edgy saddle that makes your as# sore in 30 seconds. You sit more upright than on the fz. There are a few thin plastic bits that look cool but could potentially break easily, such as the wings near the tail light. I really hope that they plan some fairing-like bits even though I feel like buying it as it is. If it had a top fairing my wife would probably not even notice the difference

It looks like there is a mounting point for add-on windscreens/flyscreens. Maybe if you find one that doesn't look like a barn door, it will suffice?

Haha that's funny.. I thought about it, it could be enough. But then you have the thing with the mirrors. On a naked you see mostly your elbows. I'd like to have a fairing with mounted mirrors..

It was at the Montreal moto show this weekend,the Yamaha rep told me that they will announce the price in may and that some units will be showing up in dealerships sometime in june,and will be sold as 2017 model year.

Back