New member welcome thread...

Hi,

This is AJ. I have a granite gray 08 fz1. I had been looking for an upright sports bike, but surprisingly there are very few choices available in USA; so i zeroed in FZ1 and no repents... Its a fun bike.

I m about 30 yrs old, marrried for 6 years and have a one year old daughter( and she hates my helmet. :D )

Thanks!
AJ.

Hi,

This is AJ. I have a granite gray 08 fz1. I had been looking for an upright sports bike, but surprisingly there are very few choices available in USA; so i zeroed in FZ1 and no repents... Its a fun bike.

I m about 30 yrs old, marrried for 6 years and have a one year old daughter( and she hates my helmet. :D )

Thanks!
AJ.

Welcome AJ! The FZ1 is a great all around bike. The vast majority of people love it once they start riding it. Have fun and be safe :tup:

My name is Brian, I was an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician in the Air Force and a UXO contractor for the US Government for a total of 23 years. I own a 97 Vmax and a 2002 FZ1. I love em both. The FZ1 just turned over 27,000 miles on my last ride.

I live in Colorado which has some of the greatest riding anywhere (as long as you stay west).

I'm married to a great wife who lets me ride as much as I want.

I love photography too, I'm just not very good at it.

bigb_eod-albums-some-rides-i-ve-taken-picture380-wolf-creek-pass-colorado-way-durango-vail-2003.jpg

Welcome Brian. Beautiful 02' ya have there. I like the blue and the chin scoop. Have you done any adjustments on your bike because of your elevation out there?

Hey

Hi I`m from Canada, N.B , Just bought a 06 FZS 1000. I use to be a Gixxer rider, but my new Fizzer is awsome..I`m glad i found a site like this..nice to be here....

Welcome cid69! Nice bike you got there. The silver is probably my second favorite color for the Gen II bikes. By the way I love the name you gave your bike (saw it in your other post)...LOL

Welcome Brian. Beautiful 02' ya have there. I like the blue and the chin scoop. Have you done any adjustments on your bike because of your elevation out there?

Thanks Billy. I haven't done anything yet. We haven't lived here long. I haven't noticed a significant change in performance but in a few weeks I'm getting a major tune up done so I'll see if it's a noticable difference.

I usually keep my bikes stock but thought the chin scoop really improved the look of the bike.

Good pictures, you can always tell when someone has a new machine by the way they take the pictures,The beginning of the love affair. I should know, I have lots of shots of my own machine. I like the tasteful graphics and the tank pad, nice how well it fits with the rest of the bike.

Thanks !!
It is quite the love affair haha

Hi, I'm John. My wife Nicci and I bought a 2008 FZ1 about a month ago. Of course we picked the coolest color, red! We have 3 kids, 6,9, and 13. We both took up motorcycle riding this year and we share a 2008 Suzuki C50 and our star child the FZ1. We put a lowering kit on the FZ1 so my wife can touch flat footed. We both prefer the Yamaha, but it is fun trading back and forth. I've enjoyed searching the site, we are looking for input on aftermarket seats and luggage if anyone has opinions.
Thanks for all the great information!

06 or 08

hi everyone. Scott here. First post. My brain is very tired from spending hours reading this great forum until 2am most nights. For my first bike at age 46, I'm trying to decide between a Silver, $5200, FZ1-'06 with less than 1200 miles or a Red $6200 '08, again with less than 1200miles but with racing exhaust, sliders and its first service. Both are beautiful. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this message. Thanks anyone who can give some advice. Leaning toward the 06 because of color and it being cheaper. Does it matter that the '06's did not have the R1 engine (as some sales guy told me)?

hi everyone. Scott here. First post. My brain is very tired from spending hours reading this great forum until 2am most nights. For my first bike at age 46, I'm trying to decide between a Silver, $5200, FZ1-'06 with less than 1200 miles or a Red $6200 '08, again with less than 1200miles but with racing exhaust, sliders and its first service. Both are beautiful. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this message. Thanks anyone who can give some advice. Leaning toward the 06 because of color and it being cheaper. Does it matter that the '06's did not have the R1 engine (as some sales guy told me)?

Welcome Scott :tup: Both bikes have the same engine so that sales guy didn't know what he was talking about. The only issue with the '06 is the throttle snatch that people complain about. You can either live with it or buy Ivan's $195 FCE and call it a day. The throttle snatch on the '08 will probably not be noticeable and it does have some aftermarket goodies so I don't think you can go wrong either way. I think it comes down to your budget and color preference.

Hi, My name is Misty. I have a silver 2003 FZ1. I bought it new with 3 miles on it. It now has over 10,000 miles. Yes, it is my first bike, and I do like to jump in with both feet :)

I found this site when a thread popped up for a google search I was doing. I'm looking for the top triple clamp for my FZ1. It was stolen in September '07 from work. I figured I'd wrench on it over the winter and have it up and running by April/May. Then-- surprise, I got pregnant-- with twins (that's the surprise part, I was trying for one ;) ). Anyway, I chose not to ride pregnant. Now my little tykes are just over 10 months old and I'm itching to get back to my first love.

I've already fixed everything else and just need this one part to get things going!! The ignition was locked when the bastids stole it so the ring that houses it broke. Plus I don't want to drill out those nasty torx bolts to take the rest of the old ignition off, so I'm just replacing the whole thing.

Glad to have found this forum!

NJFZ1, thanks for the info and for clearing up the engine thing. I thought that sounded a little fishy. Do you have any opinion on those prices? I have physically seen both bikes and they are spotless.

money

From my experience you will spend that $1000.00 before you have the bike a month on some aftermarket bit, or another, and the 08 doesn't have the throttle issue. The red looks great too. If it were me I would get the tricked out and newer one. The exhaust if it is a full system is more than a grand anyway. Compared to Canadian prices that is a bargain for either.

Last edited:
NJFZ1, thanks for the info and for clearing up the engine thing. I thought that sounded a little fishy. Do you have any opinion on those prices? I have physically seen both bikes and they are spotless.

I think both prices are very good. I paid $5500 for my '06 back at the beginning of June of this year. It had 3500 miles and well over $1k worth of mods. Those are my two favorite colors for the Gen II bikes, but if you can afford the '08 I say go for that one...and by the way I am impartial to the red ;)

Hi all. My name is Kevin, and I just picked up my FZ1 today. It is a blue 2001. It has a two brothers can, Ivan's jet kit, and a few other goodies. I have been riding cruisers for about 10 years. I sold my midnight warrior a few months ago :frown:, and have been trying to find the right bike for me. Something that I won't drag pipes and pegs in every corner and something that I fit on. Being 6'4" and having size 17 feet, I don't fit on most sport bikes very well. I was looking at the Triumph Sprint, and the FZ1. I found the FZ1 on craigslist and it wasn't too far to go get it. I have only rode it about 10 miles so far, but it seems like a great bike. It will be nice to corner without dragging every time, and also to be able to keep up with my wife.

Hi all. My name is Kevin, and I just picked up my FZ1 today. It is a blue 2001. It has a two brothers can, Ivan's jet kit, and a few other goodies. I have been riding cruisers for about 10 years. I sold my midnight warrior a few months ago :frown:, and have been trying to find the right bike for me. Something that I won't drag pipes and pegs in every corner and something that I fit on. Being 6'4\" and having size 17 feet, I don't fit on most sport bikes very well. I was looking at the Triumph Sprint, and the FZ1. I found the FZ1 on craigslist and it wasn't too far to go get it. I have only rode it about 10 miles so far, but it seems like a great bike. It will be nice to corner without dragging every time, and also to be able to keep up with my wife.

Welcome to the group Kevin, glad to have you aboard! Excellent choice you've made. I also ride a 2001 but in black. It's got to be the best bike I've ever owned and ridden. Looking forward to helping you make the transition from cruisers to your new sport tourer.

New FZ1 Owner

Traded in my 07 FZ6 (after 2 years/9k miles) for an 07 FZ1

Rides great and am still finding differences btw the 1 & 6 like no helmet lock, more midrange, higher passenger footpegs, better suspension etc.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone & hope to learn a lot about my new awesome bike from you guys.

Welcome! Seems we have a lot of former FZ6 owners here. Nice FZ1 by the way. I see it has some nice mods on it already. That Corbin Smuggler is very handy since our bikes lack any real storage space.

Back