New member welcome thread...

Hello from NorCal

Well, I am a member of the FZ6 forum... but I sold my FZ6 and could not stop myself from jumping on a deal for an FZ1!!! No mods yet, but I don't think I will be able to stop myself from at least adding a pipe to this one and possibly a jet kit.

Hi Guys,
I just joined the forum having purchased a gorgeous 2001 Black FZ1 this week. It joins my stable of a 2006 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle Heritage Classic and a 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650. The Suzi is stock except for a Givi touring windshield and Kuryakyn ISO-grips. The HOG has a recent 95" big-bore kit and now puts out 95HP and 97lb. of torque and it has the usual tons of chrome. I got the fazer basically to run the curves in the country and zip around town on lazy summer days.
The mods to the FAZER include: Speedo-healer, Carbon-Fiber panels replacing the stock plastic, CF fuel-filler trim, CF tank protector, Corbin gel seat in CF with silver piping (trim), rear fenderectomy, LED smoke flush-mounts front and rear, GYTR slip-on pipe, bar-risers, Zero-Gravity tall-touring shield (smoke), Frame-sliders, and new chain and sprockets with -1 and +2 gearing. It also came with new Shinkos' (with zero miles on them). I Don't know much about Shinkos' but I'll try them out. That's some of the hardware in the garage, now about me.
I am located in west central Indiana along US-40. I am a 58 yr. old male, married 40 years (same gal) with 1-son at home (in college). I have been riding something since 1967. I have owned 35 motorcycles since then, and have just recently sold a 2000 Honda Gold Wing SE with 11K. on the clock. I also recently sold a beautiful 2006 Yamaha R1 in the yellow and black anniversary edition that only had 1,910 mi. on the clock. The R1 was heavily modified with extras and was scary fast. After knee replacement over last winter it just hurt my knee to much ride it. Enter the fazer with the R1 engine and a more relaxed riding position.
Besides motorcycles, I have owned 11 airplanes and flown those, and several more too. Everything from 4-place Cessnas' to experimental single place aerobatic screamers. I retired from the Indiana Carpenter's Union after 30 yrs. at age 55 and now just enjoy M/C-riding, flying, and playing tennis.
If you know of anyone looking for a nice Burgman 650 I will be selling it. It won't be getting ridden much now with the addition of the fazer to garage. The Burgie is SILVER/BLACK and only has 3,501. easy miles on the clock. Never damaged and always garaged just- $4,450.00 OTD.

Hi Guys,
I just joined the forum having purchased a gorgeous 2001 Black FZ1 this week. It joins my stable of a 2006 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle Heritage Classic and a 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650. The Suzi is stock except for a Givi touring windshield and Kuryakyn ISO-grips. The HOG has a recent 95" big-bore kit and now puts out 95HP and 97lb. of torque and it has the usual tons of chrome. I got the fazer basically to run the curves in the country and zip around town on lazy summer days.
The mods to the FAZER include: Speedo-healer, Carbon-Fiber panels replacing the stock plastic, CF fuel-filler trim, CF tank protector, Corbin gel seat in CF with silver piping (trim), rear fenderectomy, LED smoke flush-mounts front and rear, GYTR slip-on pipe, bar-risers, Zero-Gravity tall-touring shield (smoke), Frame-sliders, and new chain and sprockets with -1 and +2 gearing. It also came with new Shinkos' (with zero miles on them). I Don't know much about Shinkos' but I'll try them out. That's some of the hardware in the garage, now about me.
I am located in west central Indiana along US-40. I am a 58 yr. old male, married 40 years (same gal) with 1-son at home (in college). I have been riding something since 1967. I have owned 35 motorcycles since then, and have just recently sold a 2000 Honda Gold Wing SE with 11K. on the clock. I also recently sold a beautiful 2006 Yamaha R1 in the yellow and black anniversary edition that only had 1,910 mi. on the clock. The R1 was heavily modified with extras and was scary fast. After knee replacement over last winter it just hurt my knee to much ride it. Enter the fazer with the R1 engine and a more relaxed riding position.
Besides motorcycles, I have owned 11 airplanes and flown those, and several more too. Everything from 4-place Cessnas' to experimental single place aerobatic screamers. I retired from the Indiana Carpenter's Union after 30 yrs. at age 55 and now just enjoy M/C-riding, flying, and playing tennis.
If you know of anyone looking for a nice Burgman 650 I will be selling it. It won't be getting ridden much now with the addition of the fazer to garage. The Burgie is SILVER/BLACK and only has 3,501. easy miles on the clock. Never damaged and always garaged just- $4,450.00 OTD.

Let me just say that I'm jealous and HATE you already!:poke: No, but seriously, I really do HATE you! (Just Kidding) of course. Welcome to the forum and nice choice of FZ's. Mine is a 01' Black as well. They are really a great bike for sure. The "flying" thing is real interesting. I was really into planes from a really young age and was headed for the Air Force until I met some girl back in 77'. I never went and I regret it today. I too would be retired by now, enjoying my bike everyday. I'd take that scoot of your hands but there is 4,450 reasons why I can't right now. (kidding again). Welcome to the board, and I'll leave you with these small words of wisdom when it comes to posting here::needpics:

Thanks Billy,
Thanks for the kind words. I am also a member of the R1-forum, the GW-forum and the HD-forum. Everyone is so nice. Motorcyclists are very outgoing and friendly. . . !
I am looking into uploading some pics right now. But, I need to find them, resize them and I'll be sending them along soon.
I didn't start flying until the ripe old age of 38. Always wanted too. Absolutely love it. Sold my last plane just last year, then sold the hangar. ONLY motorcycles now, unless a buddy takes me along and lets get some air-time in their plane. Total knee replacement and two shoulder surgeries just make it too difficult to get in and out of small planes very often. I still fly. I get on the smoker, (slang for commercial jet), and fly pretty regularly.
Now, where are those pics hiding, ,, ,

Billy, , , Here are some pics.
Hope to get more up soon.
BTW, that's not me on the scooter. That's the shop owner where I like to hang out with all the guys. He has it parked in his showroom for me.
Early pic of the FAZER without the new ZG-touring windshield.

Billy,

More pics of the scooter and the FAZER.
The orange cord in the pics is the battery tender of course. All of my M/C's have them.
Now, if the weather would just ease up a bit. . . ..

Pilot, that is one good looking FZ1! Nice stable as well!
Thanks mabbott !
I just installed a slick ZG touring screen in smoke. I thought it was to be a 'light' smoke. However, their definition of 'light' and mine are different ! I can barely see thru it. Can't decide if I want to 'black-out' the lower portion to hide the wiring below the instruments or not.

Welcome! I also am excited to hear that you fly.

My uncle has a fly-in every year at his ranch in Reklaw Texas at the Flying M Ranch. His name is David Mason. Ever hear of that event? It is one of the largest in the country. Often times over 400 private airplanes will come in over the weekend.

I go out there early sometimes to help get property ready and camp out for the weekend. Anyway if you ever make it to that event I will look for ya.

I guess its time I introduced myself. Roy Fox. Currently on a Sportster but I'm trying to remedy that. The last couple of months have seen the wife and I setting on every motorcycle imaginable from fat tired cruisers to adventure/touring and sport touring bikes to several naked bikes. The new bike has to be two up comfy and performance oriented. Almost didn't ask my wife to set on the FZ1 as I never thought she would like the seat. Imagine my suprise (and sheer joy) when we did set on the FZ and she said "Oooo, I like this." A few minutes later she confided that when we first started riding together she was pretty scared but she like riding fast now! At this point I was trying to figure out when I had gone to sleep 'cause I had to be dreaming. Since then we've been checking numbers (money) and I've been hanging out here trying to learn as much as I can about the bike I now lust after. The numbers have all come back in favor of a new motorcycle and I'm taking a fist full of cash to the dealer tomorrow and ask him to move it to the back room until the IRS gives me some of my money back.

I must compliment the members and moderators at this time as I have greatly enjoyed cruising this board for the last few weeks and look forward to hanging out here a great deal in the future. It is well organized and seems to have a great deal of knowledgable people contributing on a regular basis. I spent several years on a Buell that I loved (the wife didn't) and consequently I spent several years over at Bad Weather Bikers. I'm fond of that board and its members and this group compares very favorably. Hope to be an FZ1 owner soon so that, hopefully, this year I won't have the wife complaining that "this thing felt wiggly in that one corner" or "why do the footpegs drag so soon on this thing? We weren't even leaned over very far." Nobody at this house is happy with the Sportster on our beloved West Virginia back roads.

Nice meeting all of you,

Roy

Welcome Roy and congrats on the move to the FZ1! The two of you will certainly get all the speed and cornering in you want on this bike. Be very careful out of the gate... she's a BEAST when you twist the throttle!!! Make sure the little Lady has a darned good hold when you unleash that bike. :tup:

-Eric

Thanks Eric,

First order of business after signing the papers is to order the necessary parts to mount my Ventura Sport Rack and Sport Bag to serve as a backstop for the wife. I'll probably modify it to add a small backrest/butt stop to it but it should keep her from sliding off the back. I'll try to keep things under control until she learns not to topple off the back.

How do you post those official "thank you" posts anyway?

Roy

Thanks Billy,
I've had more FUN with that dang FOX ! He sure spices things up when he's on the BIKE !
BTW, I spent the afternoon in the shop changing the oil and filter on the FZ. While out there, I finally couldn't stand it (any longer) and pulled the new ZG smoke screen. I degreased it (removing the wax I just put on), masked it all off and then blacked out the lower portion to hide the wiring mess below the gauges. Looks way better now ! ( I did what ZG should have done. . .)
Oil change: 3.5 qts. MOBIL-1 15W-50
K&N 303 filter (black)
BTW, I was reading your 'brake caliper' cleaning and painting modification today. WOW! That Glossy-RED color really sets things off! Surely compliments the gorgeous RED-stripes on your wheels. Dang, now you got me thinking. . . . . .

Last edited:
Back