New member from North West Florida

didier9

image.jpg

Hello everyone,
I just realized I started posting without introducing myself, how rude...
I just bought my first bike after a 45 years hiatus in riding. My last bike was a Triumph 250 mono. How time flies!
Not getting any younger, I did not want to go through the 250-500-750 training/upgrade route before having a real bike.
I had a short list of bikes I was interested in and was very lucky to find this beautiful 2003 FZ1 locally.
It was in good shape and had not been mistreated but with only 13,000 miles in 12 years, it had predictably been a little bit neglected.
So in the first week of ownership, I have cleaned the bike, put air in the tires, adjusted the headlights, changed the fluids (oil and coolant), cleaned and greased the chain, adjusted the slack and put almost 400 miles on it :)
Next will be the air filter, then it will go to the shop for fork seal replacement and a jet kit.
Later will be the rear tire (front is new)

It is hard to express how much I love riding the bike and I wonder why it took me so long to get back riding. But I am not the type to cry over spilled milk. I am glad to be riding and I love my bike.

Last edited:
Welcome, the best thing you can do to a new bike is a 100% make-over. brakes, fluids, tires, filters, chain. That will guarantee a happy healthy relationship between you and the bike! lol.

Welcome, the best thing you can do to a new bike is a 100% make-over. brakes, fluids, tires, filters, chain. That will guarantee a happy healthy relationship between you and the bike! lol.
I agree, particularly considering the age, even though it does not have too many miles. Things like the fork seals do not wear because of mileage but they do because of weather. In Florida, the sun cooks everything exposed to it, particularly rubber. But the chain and sprockets are in good shape. The chain is very smooth with no stuck link, and even though it needed a good cleaning, there was no sign of rust or damage so it is probably good to go. I will ask the shop about it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Back