New guy with some questions.....

O.K., just picked up a Killer Bee last Sunday. PO has a Yoshi FZ1 2001-05 Street TRS slip on. She seems to babble and backfire a lot. Coming off a Kawi ZRX1100. They have a smog removal deal with block offs and the K-Tric is un-plugged to stop-lessen the backfires. Anything like that on the FZ1? Looking thru the Yoshi website I see that they say to drill four holes at the top of the air box.... mine doesn't have them. Should I grab the drill?

Attachments

• 03FZ1.jpg
    03FZ1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 111
O.K., just picked up a Killer Bee last Sunday. PO has a Yoshi FZ1 2001-05 Street TRS slip on. She seems to babble and backfire a lot. Coming off a Kawi ZRX1100. They have a smog removal deal with block offs and the K-Tric is un-plugged to stop-lessen the backfires. Anything like that on the FZ1? Looking thru the Yoshi website I see that they say to drill four holes at the top of the air box.... mine doesn't have them. Should I grab the drill?

take it to a dyno. have a dyno tuner run a baseline on it. it will then give you a printout of your hp, tq, and air fuel ratio. any dyno tuner worth his salt, will know exactly what you need to do, to fix your problems. do not, do anything, before this, because you have no idea whats going on in the bike, without it. how do you know the jetting is off? is it fat or lean? maybe you have an exhaust leak. maybe maybe maybe, you have no clue until you throw it on the dyno. especially since its a new bike to you and you don't know its history. maybe jetting was already done?

also yes air box mod is helpful, opening it up pre filter does help the fz1's a little bit.

On the GenI you just need to do the same as your other bikes. Block off and remove your A.I.S. system and your backfiring problems will be solved. And aside from that it will clean up the top of your cylinder head. Ivan sells a block off kit for the GenI with detailed instructions. Very easy job.

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen.... Never did the block offs on the ZRX... bought the kit... sold the bike!! I'm loving this thing!! Anyone from the Syracuse/CNY area?

you can block off the ais also by simply disconnecting the hoses, and blocking them off with a screw/marble and some zip ties, or use plastic caps and zip tie em on. cheaper and less time consuming than block off plates

I live in Scranton. Only rode to Syracuse for bbq once. What made you switch? I ride with a few die hard zrx people that would never switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can block off the ais also by simply disconnecting the hoses, and blocking them off with a screw/marble and some zip ties, or use plastic caps and zip tie em on. cheaper and less time consuming than block off plates

He has a GenI which is different than the GenII. He actually needs to remove the AIS System altogether and either Tap and Plug with Ivan's kit or a similar procedure with other kits out there. I used Ivan's and it was an easy process. No Block Off Plates on the GenI motor. Either way, it's an easy deal and really stops almost all the backfiring.

Here is the link for when I had my GenI and did the removal. Easy to follow photos.... http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/1775-i-s-kit-done-thumbs-up.html

Last edited:
Back