New guy here, Big fixer upper!

So today after install I went to jump my bike and i got sparks and my starter turned over. The rubber cover of the starter relay came off and made contact with + jumper causing the starter too turn but i think in the wrong direction and blew the 30 amp fuse connected too it. I'm currently charging my battery any idea's if i fried a few things? pretty sure i had full reverse current going through whole bike.

Last edited:
Take your time rebuilding your carbs. I've tried to cut corners and it never works. Sadly, There were several great threads on FZ1OA.

Even experts like Ivan will tell owners not to de-rack the carbs into individual units.......... but I wouldn't do carbs without separating them and replacing the fuel log O-rings (Item 58) in the fishe. It's a bitch to put the carb balancing springs back in after de-racking (hint use heavy thread to tie them closed on two sides, then cut thread with exacto knife once in place. Hemostats (roach clips) help to place the springs where they need to go. I've had the fuel log o-rings fail and start leaking, that why I always replace them. There were also some great threads on FZ1OA about the McMaster Carr O-rings alternatives to OEM. Personally I replace every o-ring.

There might be some good threads on carbs here, just haven't looked.

The other electrical failure that seems like a carb problem is bad intermittent spark plug caps and the connection with the H/T leads. They are easy to take apart and clean up. Spent weeks on carbs to find out that was the culprit.

Just a Q what happened too FZ10a? normally if a website is shut down most ppl archive it for reference too help people like right now.

Also wanted too say, small springs and screws are exactly why I would rather do a whole motor rebuild than a carb lol, my hands shake more than i'd like.

Last edited:
OK, so I heard the FZ1OA was going down (but I thought I had at least until spring)... and I started pulling info that I thought would be useful. I haven't had a Gen 1 for over 10 years, but have a buddy that has one. I figured this would be helpful, so I grabbed it.

Here is the Yamaha / McMaster Carr Cross-reference for the carb o-rings. I think I screenshot all of this, and the first table isn't super clear, but I think still good enough. I'll have to fish and see what else I may have pulled.
it looks like I can't attach a Word file... had to print to pdf... a bit more loss in clarity on the first page... I zipped the original Word file just in case.

One great source of information that is still out there is Pat Glenn's FZ1 Page. it was linked from the FZ1OA site. Over time, things disappear. May want to pull all the information from this site you can. I guess I need to do that as well.
https://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Attachments

• FZ1 Carb rebuild parts.pdf
    979 KB · Views: 5
  • O-Ring Xref.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Great save. Glad someone was thinking ahead. I wanted to download all the Raven Rider stuff related to carbs. In reality I've been through my carbs enough that i don't need much written instruction. The cqrb removal/reinstall info on Pats site is still available. Rebuilders have to decide if buying in bulk from McMaster make $ sense. It did for me.

I remember the first time I pulled the carbs and I got out the blue tape and labeled everything as to where it goes. Now I just throw everything in a box because it really only goes back one
way.

The tip from Falcon in Pat's instructions to remove the carb cables at the handle bar first, makes the job easier.

There was some talk about an online archive. The plan as Blue Flash says was to close FZ1Oa in the spring, but then the site got hit with a data base error that crippled it, and lead to early demise. Always will be appreciative of FZ1OA's developer (Ed). He seemed like a selfless individual with tons of technical website skill.

So i've had my motor apart twice looking for my new oil leak, just found it. my oil pan is actually cracked by a bolt... jb weld inc!
thought for a week now i F'ed up the water pump haha no it's a crack.

Keep an eye on it, jb weld wont stop the crack from getting bigger. Better yet get on ebay and buy a pan and forgetaboutit.

Ok big sad face here..... I had my first seizure in 16 years as I was pulling out on my bike thank god only doing 10mph. I turned right in the panic (i think) so fast throwing my bike too the left hand side. my tank is busted/leaking and my headlights are broke off and left handgrips/buttons are trashed. super sad.....

Yes i'm ok, my right wrist took most impact is bruised too the elbow but am gaining movement back as swelling goes down. On a side note if anyone has a 01-05 headlight or gas tank plz hit me up.
I got home around 4 had plans too go right too the bank. they said at 9:45 i tried too pull out, ending up on side of road. I was most likely having seizures for hours and that was just a break in between.

IDK where you live, but in wa state you cant drive or ride any motorized vehicle unless you have your seizures under control. Just happened to my mom a couple years back.

Back