Neutral light not coming on and bike shut down on freeway once...

No dammit that wasn't it. Was wiggling one and the other was moving. It's all hidden down there behind that coolant reservoir. At least that's what it looks like as it's completely empty.

No dammit that wasn't it. Was wiggling one and the other was moving. It's all hidden down there behind that coolant reservoir. At least that's what it looks like as it's completely empty.

You might need to remove the front sprocket cover to get at the neutral switch.

ok... here ya go.

3590d1280337569-neutral-light-not-coming-bike-shut-down-freeway-once-img_0717-800-x-600-.jpg

Epic thread for one switch. Good though for future reference just as Aaron stated.

Aaron, is your bike in pieces at the moment? I see a cable end, an open plug above said-switch, open bolt holes, etc.... Or, is this all to find the switch and help out? :tup:

As I leave to go find some kind of amazing new tool that let's you go around corners, provides leverage with no room to move, I will leave the forum with this to ponder until I finish this repair.

Hope your Neutral Sensor never fails. EVER. If you don't fix it your self, you will spend hundreds in labor as the mechanic curses his way through a four hour job!

yep... that's where I got the picture from... from one failing before...

since it's a single wire... I'm not sure how you would test the dang thing... but there has to be a way...

You did check all of the connection first to ensure that it wasn't just a loose / dirty connection right?

Last edited:
That pic you sent is with the whole right side of the tranny removed! You have to: loosen coolant reservoir. Remove left foot peg assembly and shift linkage pin. Remove front sprocket cover, then, fight through a nest of wires to get a wrench on it, which I am putting off doing by bitching on this thread. Taking photos of each step though! Somebody will have to walk me through posting them when all this is over.

By the way, the sensor is a single pole, single wire connector. No way to bypass it by crossing poles.

I cleaned connectors and replugged it. No change. Then I simply disconnected it. No change which tells us it's broke. Do you have a part number on this?

This just turned into a nightmare. I finally got a wrench on it and as I was attempting to loosen the sensor, it broke off. Ni know that it has to be drilled and retapped. Any idea how to do that in such a tight spot?

Is there any way to just plug it and bypass it? I am thinking I will have to pull the whole swing arm to get at it. This is a safety device, correct? It really doesn't affect performance at all right? My only real concern as long as that is true is how to get the neutral light functioning again.

I am assuming my mistake was that this is a reversed thread?

in order for the neutral switch to ever work again, it'll have to be replaced... the problem probably stems from a steel sensor screwing into aluminum.... so... yeah.. you've got 2 choices.. drop the swingarm and go at it from the back, or drop the whole engine out.

Well fellahs, the gods are with me. On a whim I tried poking at it with a long flexispring screwdriver to see if now that the head was off, the remaining part that broke off might be sitting in the threads loosely. I got lucky. It cam out with no problem.

We will just assume then that it was broken to begin with;-/

Ok, now to find the part!!!

Thanks for all the help. Once I find the part, get it ordered and ceat something, I will put the pics up of how to do this. Thanks for all of your help, and I will definitely give a report as to whether this fixed everything!

Well fellahs, the gods are with me. On a whim I tried poking at it with a long flexispring screwdriver to see if now that the head was off, the remaining part that broke off might be sitting in the threads loosely. I got lucky. It cam out with no problem.

We will just assume then that it was broken to begin with;-/

Ok, now to find the part!!!

Thanks for all the help. Once I find the part, get it ordered and ceat something, I will put the pics up of how to do this. Thanks for all of your help, and I will definitely give a report as to whether this fixed everything!

Just Google the part number that Aaron posted and you'll get several hits on places to order. ;)

Back