Neutral light not coming on and bike shut down on freeway once...

DonnieBee

I got on my bike the other day and the neutral light would not come on. Then I noticed bike suddenly will not start unless clutch is engaged. Then I noticed bike shutting down In neutral when kickstand is put down. Then on a long highway ride yesterday, the bike suddenly shut down at highway speed. Let alone freaking me out, this is a puzzling problem.

I am thinking side stand switch. Fuses are all good. Wires are all whole as far as I can tell. Would this keep the neutral light from coming on?

Please help. Driving me nuts!:confused:

I'm thinking Neutral Safety switch..

28564_electrical1.gif

#12 on this diagram...

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_sect...=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2009&fveh=28564

NEUTRAL SWITCH ASSY
3GB-82540-01-00 $23.31

Last edited:
So, I know where the wires from the side stand switch come up and li shorted across the terminals to troubleshoot it and the light won't come back on, although it will now run in gear with the stand down, it does seem to point to something else. I still have no idea where this thing is and all I can find just points to a general area in the middle somewhere with a picture of the shape. No color or material. I hate this!!!

Ok. So my bike doesn't have this does it? I just put two and two together (I'm kinda slow sometimes). That schematic was from a gen 2. I just have the side stand switch. Does both right?

Ok found wire coming off top of left side of tranny goes to big honking white connector that leads to main wire bundle which in one direction leads to fuses and rear lights. The other direction leads to...
Does this lead to the right side of carbs?

so... the service manual doesn't say much about the neutral safety switch other than "if it doesn't work, replace it" ... no diagrams... nothing other than telling you where the wiring connection is for it... so... pull that side cover, look for the connection.. and trace it down...

but, the good news is, this is what the problem has to be.. it's the only thing that would provide the symptoms you describe.

Found it. Looking on wrong side of bike. Was following some instructions from an old posting. Ok. How do I troubleshoot this? Cani cross the poles on the connectors?

Back