Muffler Swap

I looked into this some time ago. From what I remember the joining gasket (sealing ring) from the two bikes appeared to be the same diameter so I guessed it would slip on the the header ok ,, that said the fz8 rear mounting sits further forward than the gen2 So I reckon Its shorter so won't be a straight swop , but I'm sure with a little modification it would go on .
If I could have found one cheap enough at the time I would have had a go ...

I looked into this some time ago. From what I remember the joining gasket (sealing ring) from the two bikes appeared to be the same diameter so I guessed it would slip on the the header ok ,, that said the fz8 rear mounting sits further forward than the gen2 So I reckon Its shorter so won't be a straight swop , but I'm sure with a little modification it would go on .
If I could have found one cheap enough at the time I would have had a go ...

When you say it is further forward, you mean the tab on the can that mounts to the pillion footpeg bracket? I went and looked at the microfiche for the FZ8 and it just dawned on me that the FZ8 doesn't have an EXUP either. ;) Also curious to know if it is more restrictive than the OEM FZ1 can with smaller openings.... It is, however, a better looking can than the OEM FZ1 cannon!

As I remember the hanger is different to the fz1 . I'm sure this was to do with there being no ex up valve making the can mount further forward . That said I was told by a forum member the fz8 header is shorter than the fz1 , may me the use of a surplus link pipe may be of use ??

Back