MrsFZ1inNH Build Thread - ***REVEALED!*** Vid and Pics!

When I used to paint cars we would use scotch bright also. But we would also use an abrasive cleaner like boraxo along with the pad. The scotch bright along with the mild abrasive cleaner makes much quicker work of scuffing up the parts and has the added benefit of being a much more uniform "scuffing".

Well, we're down to the three lower fairing pieces needing a ultra-fine sanding and the tank still needing both sandings but I have to evacuate the remaining fuel in the morning first. I'll tape it all off then start the sticky stuff removal with the hair dryer and get it prepped. Looking GREAT for a Monday AM delivery to the paint shop!

My damned fingers feel like they've all been hit with a hammer a couple times. It's a pain to even push the keys on the laptop! :(

Bath time!

Take note guys and girls. This is how you wash your FZ1, ok? She seems to like it! It was hard to get her out with all the toys she was playing with. :party0011: BTW, this is the last time you'll see these parts this color... next time, they will be the new ####### ######## ##### with a lot of ##### ####### all throughout! :D

attachment.php

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see the new color (not colour :p), but it's all a touch painful too. I don't know which hurts me more, seeing that fast blue all scuffed up, or the Red Sox's shirt (I'm sure it's just a rag that you don't care if it gets messed up)...

Go Cardinals!
05StLouisCardinalsTeamLogo.jpg

:fencers:

Today I was able to pull apart the steering head and mount the PIAA horns using Billy's method. :D

First, the forks came out.
attachment.php

Then remove the steering stem cap nut and set aside with the spacer washer.
attachment.php

Lift off the upper triple to expose the spanner nuts and locking washer.
attachment.php

Remove the washer.
attachment.php

Remove the upper spanner nut. This should be done with only your fingers. There is a rubber washer between the two spanner nuts.
attachment.php

Since I didn't have the spanner wrench, I used a drift and a hammer to tap the nut loose. While holding the lower triple in one hand, remove the nut with the other hand. The lower triple with the steering stem will then drop out.

As you can see, I had no worries. The bearings and races all looked 100% and was loaded with grease, thus no need for me to do anything further. It all went back together to prepare for the PIAA horns. (next post...)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a couple of the shots of the PIAA horns mounted. Still concerned about clearance because of how far I've lowered her bike. I may have to remove those funky covers they put on the bottoms of the horns to gain another 1/2" of clearance. I assume they are there for weather related reasons? Dunno but it might be worth trying without them. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

The horns look good. I need to get me a set of those ;) I don't see an issue with removing those covers. I would imagine that you are correct and that they are only for weather protection. The fact that they point down like that should minimize the chances of any moisture getting into them.

Nice job on both ends Eric. The steering stem looked to be brand new. You won't have to worry about that for a while. The horns mounted up nicely. Were you able to remove the bracket without the screw turning? That saves you a lot of time tuning it up. I see what you mean by the clearance issue because the bike was lowered both front and rear. I guess time will tell. You know what they say...."Where there's a will, there's a way".

I wasn't able to keep it from turning Billy, but I did put a scribe mark on it so that I knew where it had to be when it went back together. I haven't tested them yet but expect I may have to tweak them if I missed the mark or changed the dynamics with the bending. Went smooth!

I decided that since the steering head looks so good, I'm going to leave the swing arm alone and not bother looking. For me, the steering head was convincing enough that the bike was not kept in the weather. :tup:

Now I need to go visit a welder and see me about a chopped kickstand! :D

All parts are now at the painter's shop as of this morning. He showed us a couple of cool tricks he can do with the paint and she was floored! She decided not to do the metallic flake and is going with a pearl base. I cannot wait to see the end result because this is going to make the factory finish look like a rattle can job!

The scuff sanding we did was too his liking and he said they'd have VERY little extra prep work to do. So, with the paint and clear she's chosen, we're looking at no more than $700. We just saved ourselves $800 in labor!! :tup: We're slated for a start next week so I'm looking at possibly putting it all together on or around the 19th/20th provided he can finish by next Friday the 18th. :D

Time to get some pay-it-forward flies out the door and then start on my three fixes to get my bike back to Copperdog'd!

I called the painter today... bad news..... He got set back several days and won't be able to get her parts done until next week. Looks like the build will be on the 25th now. It's not all THAT bad though because I just today received shipping confirmation from Partshark for items I need to put it back together, so, even if the paint WAS done, I'd still not be able to build this weekend.

We also ordered the Soupy adjustable kickstand. She didn't want to hack the stock stand and weld a new shoe on it and opted for the finished product. Her and Brenda will have a matching set of bikes! ;) Well, 'cept for the color!

This gives me another weekend to get some details done and work on other bike related stuff. :D

I think its great you are putting all this work into a bike for your wife. I hope the mystery color comes out like you hope. My wife (she is only 5' 2"") says she will get on two wheels after our youngest graduates from high school, she is a junior this year.

Last edited:
I think its great you are putting all this work into a bike for your wife. I hope the mystery color comes out like you hope. My wife (she is only 5' 2"") says she will get on two wheels after our youngest graduates from high school, she is a junior this year.

I waited till the kids were graduated also.....and here's a little secret, I might have a nice little FZ6 for ya! Great little starter bike for the missus!

I can promise you all, it will not be pink and is quite tasteful. I owned and drove a vehicle in the late 90's that is this color. She did change it up a bit but I think it was for the better. ;) I think *most* of you will like it but I expect nay-sayers and that is OK. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I expect honest reactions. :tup:

cos_FZ1 said:

I love to wrench and love a good project. Anything I can do to help her remain enthusiastic about riding, I will do without question. :D This is her 4th motorcycle since 2006 (5th if you count a scooter) and she just LOVES to get out and ride. Some days, she's egging ME to go ride. She puts more miles on the bike than her car. The Yaris she bought in Dec 2009? She just rolled 6500 on the ODO. :tup: The bueaty of the FZ1 is that the bike will be as tame as she wants it to be, it was CHEAP and simple to lower, and it doesn't weigh but 15 lbs more than her FZ6R she traded. While it isn't a great started bike, I think a rider with a few years on the seat can easily handle it. BTW, she is 5' 2" with a 29.5" inseam. She cannot fully flatfoot the bike even with it lowered but she is very close... at least the same as she was able to on the FZ6R.

I just want to get this project DONE! We want to RIDE!!!!

I can promise you all, it will not be pink and is quite tasteful. I owned and drove a vehicle in the late 90's that is this color. She did change it up a bit but I think it was for the better. ;) I think *most* of you will like it but I expect nay-sayers and that is OK. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I expect honest reactions. :tup:

I'm sure it will turn out to be a good color choice. Motorcycles, unlike cars, tend to look good in most colors and for me usually the lighter, brighter colors look best. That's one of the reasons I went with the red FZ1 and why I love the red/white combo on my YZF1000. Can't wait to see it...

Back