MrsFZ1inNH Build Thread - ***REVEALED!*** Vid and Pics!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Today was a big day for my wife's new (to her) 2007 FZ1. Today, it got torn down and lowered as we prep for this spring's big reveal. I'm not going to bore you with ALL the pics because the majority of them are reference shots for my own use, you know.... How's this thing go back together? :D Of course, having another COMPLETE FZ1 sitting beside her bike is a big plus (for referencing).

Here are some shots from a disassembly of an FZ1. Or, "How to field strip an FZ1 in under two hours."

Obligatory BEFORE shot (one of many)
attachment.php

Hey! We've got no tail! We need tail!
attachment.php

She's now without a face too.
attachment.php

Almost all the parts are lifted!
attachment.php

Body work WITHOUT a bike?
attachment.php

Tank needs a LOT of work. That ProGrip tank protector came off in pieces and left the faux carbon decal behind!
attachment.php

Ok, all you riders from Europe and Down Under... THIS is how you do a naked FZ1. You all have NOTHING on this nakedness! :tup:
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is how she sits right now. I stowed the fairing stay and lights on the bike to keep them out of the way.
attachment.php

Last edited:
A few more....

Here's the tail, cowl and other parts all disassembled.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I installed the lowering link from Soupy. Thanks for the tip Brenda! This link is a breeze to install AND adjust!
attachment.php

I lowered the front .6 inches to start. We're going to work with the front and rear until she is comfortable and handling well. I suspect a bit lower in the front and maybe up a bit in the rear.
attachment.php

I also removed the airbox to check things out... what's been modded, if anything. Well, to my surprise, the bike is bone stock except for this little K&N gem under the cover! Sweet! I'd removed all that stuff to run her SAE extension for the battery tender out to the controls area of the bike where we charge it and when riding, can jack in accessories.
attachment.php

Great work Eric! You were busy as a bee today. Just one question on the "link". How much of that threaded section goes into the coupling nut? I'm hoping it's a substantial amount so that it's sturdy. I think you will know what I mean. Also, is there also a link that will do the opposite and raise the rear end? Just curious. Keep up the good work and keep the pics flowing brother!

Great work Eric! You were busy as a bee today. Just one question on the "link". How much of that threaded section goes into the coupling nut? I'm hoping it's a substantial amount so that it's sturdy. I think you will know what I mean. Also, is there also a link that will do the opposite and raise the rear end? Just curious. Keep up the good work and keep the pics flowing brother!

I know exactly what you mean Billy. Good catch! On the instructions from Soupy, it states that it is safe to extend the link to 9.5" in length from bolt center to center. As it sits right now, I have her at 9" C2C. If I am correct, she is going to sit on the bike and I will have to shorten it a bit (raise the bike) as I've probably lowered it too much but I wanted to start closer to the extreme and lift it until she is flat footed and knees ever so slightly bent.

I know there are links that raise the rear as well. Actually, the Gen I has more options available than the Gen II.

Thanks Billy! I'll have more pics as we start working on things. I'm probably going to drop the whole front and rear and re-pack/replace the steering bearings and the swing arm bearings as well as the wheel bearings.

I also have the frame sliders in based on Tony's recommendation. I bought the two sets and when I'm ready to install, I'll take pics to show why Tony recommended this and how cool it will turn out in the end. :D

It was a great start to this project! I intend to clean a lot of the bike up as it is quite (as expected) dusty and dirty under all the body work.

Last, I need to either buy or modify a kickstand as the stock one will not work. But, even as low as I have the bike now? I did not find it all that difficult to get it on the center stand. :tup:

Last edited:
Great start man!

Awesome info on the lowering link as well, I am paying for one Monday! I only plan to go down about 3/4" though in the rear and like 7mm in the front.

Just enough to be a bit more comfy.

Wanted to show the difference in the forks before and after as well as Soupy's link before installation. The link as pictured is at its shortest length, meaning the two ends are touching in the middle of the turn buckle. This is just about stock height. After installing the link, you loosen the two lock nuts, turn the buckle to lengthen (lower) the bike, then tighten the lock nuts. Once I determine her ride height, I will put some blue Loctite on the threads before tightening the lock nuts. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Why does the drop on the forks look like more than 10mm to me Eric? I'm assuming it's because your lowering the rear as well which would offset the difference?

You're correct Billy. Because we are dipping so low in the rear, I have to adjust the rake for handling by lowering the front at least half what the rear was. I'm not even close to half as it sits but I need to get her on the seat and adjust the rear so she is flat, then I will measure the difference between my own bike and hers to get the actual drop, then revisit the forks for the correct drop. This is where it is SO HANDY to have two bikes... I have a model to go by! :D

I know, I know! But this time I'm not going to slip up and tell anyone...not even for Crazyjoe, lol, like I did the last time.

Eric, you're a monster! I can't believe you did all that yourself! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Well, she put on her motorcycle boots and sat on the beast today. I will have to drop the back a bit more then the front will come down to 1.25" showing. A shorter kickstand is an absolute must at this point. As it sits right now, her heels are off the ground but she can plant both balls of her feet firmly. On my FZ1, she can BARELY tippy-toe side to side. Dramatic difference!

Yeah Norm, if I had not stopped for so many pictures, I'd have had it stripped in under 90 minutes and lowered in another 15 minutes. :D It's amazing how little there is holding these bikes together! ;) Reassembly day will be a good time to invest in Loctite! :D

I'm considering working over the seat for her. Part of the problem is the stock seat is so damned wide where the thighs are at a stop. If I shave that in on both sides and contour it for her lovely legs, then she'll be able to put more of her sole on the ground.

This will be good, but I need a hint at the color, I mean, really! :rant:

Maybe Norm will get nice and relaxed in FL before you get there, and just let it slip, just a little... :gagged: :doh2: :poke: (it's not 'light red', is it? :eek:) LOL

Just out of curiosity.. What is the easiest way to drop the forks?

Do I put the front in the air or do I let the bikes weight lower the nose?

And do I have to take off the front fairing to do it?

Thanks!

This will be good, but I need a hint at the color, I mean, really! :rant:

Maybe Norm will get nice and relaxed in FL before you get there, and just let it slip, just a little... :gagged: :doh2: :poke: (it's not 'light red', is it? :eek:) LOL

Eric was very gracious when I let it slip the first time but I won't test him a second time. He's a pretty rugged guy if you haven't met him...army strong!

Just out of curiosity.. What is the easiest way to drop the forks?

Do I put the front in the air or do I let the bikes weight lower the nose?

And do I have to take off the front fairing to do it?

Thanks!

No you don't have to remove front fairings....put her up on the centerstand, loosen the bolts on the upper & lower fork clamps and give a little push on the handlebars.

Back