Low Sided on the Beartooth Highway

Ruggybuggy

This really sucks. I've been riding for more than 30 years and I've had my first accident. The bike fair very well but I ended up visiting the Cody hospital. I ended up with a broken rib and some soreness but I'm going to continue on my tour.

So I'm traveling on the Beartooth and going to make the turn to head down to Cody. As I'm making the turn at around 25mph the next thing I know I'm looking at pavement through my visor. I immediately get up on my feet and see my FZ1 bleeding antifreeze all over the ground. Then notice the intense pain on my left side. People were near by and were very helpful. No one had cell service and they were trying to call for an ambulance. I was actually more concerned about the bike. We manage to get it upright and expected the worse. I got very luck, the left frame slider and the rear swing arm slider did their job. The radiator hose had actually come of the motor side and spilt the antifreeze. Someone found the hose clamp and manage to put the hose back on. There was a restaurant 3 miles down the road which was mostly down hill so decided to ride there. The guy there sold me some antifreeze and I refilled the bike and rode 60 miles to get to the hospital. The worst thing with the bike was a boss on the motor were the forward aftermarket foot peg was install. It busted the boss off and someone found the foot peg on the ground. The rest of the boss was no were to be found. I actually amazed that that the only damage was a bent shifter which I straightened, A road rashed mirror, a small scratched on my tank, the broken engine boss which isnt effecting anything and my Shoei RF1100 helmet that will need replacing. The accident was caused by small round marble like material that was covering the intersection. It was exactly the same color as the pavement. I went over to look at it and it was actually slippery to stand on. It couldn't have seen anyway to prevent what happened. The worst thing for me was telling my family of the accident. I feel very guilty for upsetting my mother and my wife. Also felt guilty of wreaking the day for about 15 people that came to my aid.

30 years without a crash is a good run.
It happens mate, especially with loose gravel etc on the road.
The main thing is that you are mostly ok and the bike can always be fixed later.
Don't feel guilty about other people helping you, it's not like you intentionally crashed and it's great to have people like that around when you need them.
Good luck with the rest of your trip, the bad thing about broken ribs is that they hurt much more the next day. Hopefully you will be able to continue.

Sent from my GT-I9300

First off, I'm glad you're ok-ish. Broken ribs must be awful.

Secondly, the fact you're able to continue your trip is absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to crash on tour. I've had to help a friend who unfortunately struck a deer while on tour, miles and miles from home. What a hassle.

Keep us posted! We demand check ins every 600 km now! :poke:

Good luck with the rest of your trip, the bad thing about broken ribs is that they hurt much more the next day. Hopefully you will be able to continue.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Many, I figured the next day would be better. The thing is I don't think it was gravel. It was round pebbles and the same colour as the black pavement. It was impossible to see.

Glad you & the bike aren't too bad off. I've had a few broken ribs in my time, the second to seventh days are the worst and the problem is they take ages to heal. Sleeping, coughing and sneezing will be difficult for a while. And try not to laugh, that hurts like heck.

Hidden gravel is my worst nightmare on two wheels. We don't get much black ice round here for me to worry about.

Besides the broken ribs, glad for the rest you're ok, other that you may still be angry on yourself, but don't...this happens to the best of us...Heal well. Bike damage can be repaired...

Glad you didnt get too hurt Buggy.broken ribs suck!! Not to bad for thirty years riding.Hopefully you can continue your ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Glad to hear that you got off with relatively minor injuries to both you and the bike, especially so far from home. I love that piece of road, but between the tar snakes and loose stuff it calls for caution. I hate the marbles on pavement, I have no problem going fast around a gravel road corner, but gravel on pavement is treacherous.

Oh man.. so sorry about your crash. Broken rib(s) does suck, but it could be much much worse.

They actually pour that crap (cement *marbles*) all over back roads in my neck of the woods. The idea is the cars drive over them and squash them into old pavement and actually maintain the road that way. This KILLS the road for motorcycles, until all the *marbles* are gone.

They do, however, put up warning signs here when they do this treatment.

Get well soon and don't be too hard on yourself.

:wow: You're still continuing on with broken ribs?
Capture_zps95fa0348.jpg

After 30 years, it was the law of averages catching up with you. Hell of a run, I've been down twice in 6yrs. Like everyone else has said you're ok, and that is the important part. Glad to hear it.

Sorry to hear this happened! I did the same after 27 yrs without an off... hit a patch of sand on a blind corner and did a low-speed high-side when the rear caught asphalt... but I didn't break anything on me thankfully.

The bike can be mostly fixed but you're not as easy to repair.

I hate it when it's 100% unavoidable... We can never be prepared for everything out there but wearing the gear is the smartest thing to do. Glad it did it's job!

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Mentally I feel better this morning. My ribs are pretty sour. This is only the second bone I've ever broken. Feels kind of weid, every once in a while I feel something "shift" and then pain. If seems to fall back in place then I'm good to go. Kind of like the bone is aligning itself.

Well Im off to Yellowstone Park then onto Glacier NP. When I get a chance I'll upload some pictures. One stange irony is that when I was on the Beartooth I was riding in some snow then I get down to lower elevations and crash.

Well Im off to Yellowstone Park then onto Glacier NP. When I get a chance I'll upload some pictures. One stange irony is that when I was on the Beartooth I was riding in some snow then I get down to lower elevations and crash.

If you get this in time, be sure to do Chief Joesph on the way into the park. Don't expect to make time through Yellowstone either, although this late in the season might be OK. The main lodge is worth going inside as it is truly awesome. Near the west entrance is a small road called Firehole road, it is worth a run up the short valley and hooks back to the main road.

Heal up!!

Wow, I have to say that is incredible not having crashed over that time period. Really.
I usually just say, "it happens" because I think many crash more often. I know on dirt and at the track it sure does!! :angel::cheers::cool::eek:

Just crash at low speed, if you do :rolleyes:

p.s. Marc Marquez crashed 18 times one season, Rossi 12 times, so....

Feels kind of weird, every once in a while I feel something "shift" and then pain. If seems to fall back in place then I'm good to go. Kind of like the bone is aligning itself.

Be extra careful....I'd hate for you to have another off because of that bone "shift" :wilynily:

and I hope you enjoy the rest of the ride.....I gotta say, I don't know if I could do it.

Glad you're ok and the bike is relatively ok. Keep an eye on your breathing if it gets really rough or you can't catch your breath, head back into a hospital. I had a patient that had a broken rib and a few days later his lung collapsed. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

The cinder material is what they use out in the boonies in AZ. It was what put me down on my Fz6. I was told it helps prevent the roads from icing over.

If you get this in time, be sure to do Chief Joesph on the way into the park. Don't expect to make time through Yellowstone either, although this late in the season might be OK. The main lodge is worth going inside as it is truly awesome. Near the west entrance is a small road called Firehole road, it is worth a run up the short valley and hooks back to the main road.

Just finished Yellowstone and its OK but not my cup a tea. Too many touristy things and commercialized. It was along the way after Beartooth highway, now that is amazing. I got some amazing pictures and first time I rode the FZ1 through the snow. Onto glacier NP then up to Revelstoke.

Back