Let's talk about a new bike... :)

I don't like 'adventure bikes' personally, especially not awful things like the KLR or V-Strom.

I would hardly consider the Multistrada an adventure bike anyway, especially with a 180 rear tire. I consider it more along the lines of a grown-up supermoto that you can actually use everywhere.

I would imagine it would feel awkward to ride if you are used to sport bikes.

I rode way out into the country to check it out today. Very tidy bike, excellent fit for me. Tempting... sheesh

I doubt it will be around by the time I return from my Cali tour though

It can't get more versatile than this:

My transformer....

5235574716_cfcbb7d41a_b.jpg

6169341554_a056274849_b.jpg

6825360097_c7f6bcf18e_b.jpg

I don't like 'adventure bikes' personally, especially not awful things like the KLR or V-Strom.

I would hardly consider the Multistrada an adventure bike anyway, especially with a 180 rear tire. I consider it more along the lines of a grown-up supermoto that you can actually use everywhere.

I would imagine it would feel awkward to ride if you are used to sport bikes.

Hey I resemble that remark......

You might be surprised at just how capable the "Adventure" bikes are on the road. Looks-wise most have had an extra smack with the ugly stick without a doubt. They however never feel "awkward" to ride, and are surprisingly nimble and even with knobies can lean over to rediculous angles. I have dragged luggage in corners and my luggage sits very high. Check out pictures from the Dragon by Killboy for evidence (not of me).

That Ducati looks nice from the side (color choice not withstanding), but it looks like a Kitchen appliance from the 50's from the front. I rode one with a dry clutch and it was a sweet handling and sounding ride (except the dam rattle of the dry clutch). The one in the ad looks like a wet clutch set up, and a great price if it is in top shape. They are not for short riders though.

Your bike is different, Lee! It's a cool bike and has a personality, I like it.

I don't like the KLR or V-Strom because they're just hideous, heavy, lumpy, ugly, uninteresting turds mainly ridden by uninteresting people. They're just like a stale sponge cake to me. That said, I do have some friends with Stroms and they love them as all Strom owners do.

I do like interesting or quirky bikes like the Multistrada, the Versys or the DR650 for example. Triumph Tiger falls into the category of interesting as well, same with the Buell Ulysses.

I have ridden a few adventure bikes and while they are capable on the road for sure, I think that any bike with modern tires can get lots of lean angle if there's no hard parts hitting the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
I do like interesting or quirky bikes like the Multistrada, the Versys or the DR650 for example. Triumph Tiger falls into the category of interesting as well, same with the Buell Ulysses.

I have ridden a few adventure bikes and while they are capable on the road for sure, I think that any bike with modern tires can get lots of lean angle if there's no hard parts hitting the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong

I test rode one (Tiger 800) last year on some back roads that included some light gravel and really nasty potholes and it soaked it all up w/o complaints. I suppose it really depends what type of riding you'll do with it and what roads conditions you'll encounter.

So much for "under 1149 cc"

Dustin, you need to think outside the box of one bike to do all. Face it your going to need several bikes. Hell, 3 or 4 is even better :sinister:
Perhaps a DRZ 400 supermoto style for your city life ( light weight bikes can be so much fun) and then a nice Genll FZ1 for bustin' out on a good spirited ride.
Both can be had for less than that B king POS.

It was unlikely I would ever get a Burger King but there is some appeal there just because it's odd. I seem to like odd bikes. You're right, 1149cc is my limit!

I have owned a lot of different bikes including motards, classic UJMs and wee little 125 city bikes (CBR125) and I think over the last few years I have come to the conclusion that it is possible to have one bike perform as the daily workhorse, the sport tourer and still be fun and interesting.

I do have the FZ600 as the weekend pretty boy and I think a bike as good as an FZ1 can fill in the rest of the gaps...

You have an interesting point though and there is room in my life for another bike sooner than later.

Last edited:
You could pick up a brand new 2011 FZ8 for round about your price...Maybe even a second hand one with a few tweaks and low mileage?
It'll take a full luggage system, doesn't have the top end the FZ1 has but down low is alot of fun. Comfortably chews up the distant rides and goes well pushing through the twisties.

Admittedly it has it's a few minor short falls; Rubbish suspension and a slight dip between 6k and 7k being the only ones that may restrict performance but are both easily taken care of...(R1 fork swap and R1 rear shock with satan666's adapter if you wanted to do it on a budget.)
The only other factors are the tail piece looking like it was the tail tidy of a giants bike and the mirrors again are easy cheap mods.

Take a ride on one and tell me it doesn't put a smile on your dial...Goes alright on the juice too ;)

I do like the FZ8, I really do. The only thing that stops me from getting one over an FZ1 is the fact the FZ1 is more plentiful on the used market, cheaper and better equipped. I would pay the same insurance rate and the fuel tank is smaller I believe as well.

I do really like the idea of the FZ8 though

I do like the FZ8, I really do. The only thing that stops me from getting one over an FZ1 is the fact the FZ1 is more plentiful on the used market, cheaper and better equipped. I would pay the same insurance rate and the fuel tank is smaller I believe as well.

I do really like the idea of the FZ8 though

The only problem with the FZ8 is the availability of cheap Gen II FZ1s...

You can turn an fz1 into and 8... just toss the suspension for non-adjustable forks and shock, put on the naked light kit and limit the engine by hard-wiring the sub-throttle plates at 3% opened for ever. ;)

Get the Gen II FZ1!!! :yes:

Back