Knocking noise in 1st gear on the central stand

Hi all,
hope someone can help me to identify the problem.
I have a 2013 bought last fall with 0 miles and at this time the bike is near the 600 miles service mark.
I put the bike on the central stand and started it in neutral gear (I know better to not put my hands near the moving parts) and expected the real wheel to start turning but it did not happen. I shifted to the 1st gear and slowly let the clutch out. The wheel start turning smoothly at first and then with a jerking motion and the knocking sound. I turned the bike off waited for a while and re-tried the same steps with the same results.
Disclaimer: I am mechanically helpless, so I will not be able to do any more complex work aside changing oil and cleaning the chain myself.
Thank you in advance.

Okay, I just have to ask why you need to put the bike in gear while on the stand?? But to answer your question first, yes, when you put the bike in first gear while on the stand and let the clutch out it makes that "clacking" noise and jerks as well. I assume that it's because there is no weight down on the rear suspension. After I ride for five minutes to heat the chain up in order to lubricate it, I do the same thing and the bike always makes the same clacking noise. Don't worry about it. Nothing is wrong with your bike. Also, the rear wheel rolls in neutral at startup sometimes. It depends on how cold it is outside. Your fluids are thicker at a cold state and it make the wheel roll until it warms up. Not a big deal as well. If it rolls at startup fine, if it doesn't, that's fine too. I hope this eases your mind.

Thank you very much for your reply, it does eases my mind. :)
To answer your question - The reason I shifted to the 1st gear is I was hoping to spray the chain while the wheel rotating slowly in Neutral but that did not happen. So I wanted to see how it goes in 1st.

Thank you very much for your reply, it does eases my mind. :)
To answer your question - The reason I shifted to the 1st gear is I was hoping to spray the chain while the wheel rotating slowly in Neutral but that did not happen. So I wanted to see how it goes in 1st.

Aha! I gotcha! I do the same thing. Just make sure to take a five minute ride first so you heat up the chain before spraying it.

Save your fingers and just rotate the rear tire by hand with the bike off and in neutral. I've heard too many stories (and seen a few pictures) about people getting fingers caught in sprockets. Flesh and bone will lose to steel every time!

Sent from Tapatalk on my Note 4.

Save your fingers and just rotate the rear tire by hand with the bike off and in neutral. I've heard too many stories (and seen a few pictures) about people getting fingers caught in sprockets. Flesh and bone will lose to steel every time!

That's the truth Clyde! Good advice. I always use the "straw" to shoot the wax or lube onto the chain. This way my digits are far from the churning teeth of the relentless sprocket thats just looking to do damage to ya!

That's the truth Clyde! Good advice. I always use the "straw" to shoot the wax or lube onto the chain. This way my digits are far from the churning teeth of the relentless sprocket thats just looking to do damage to ya!
Yes, I do know THAT :) - quote from my OP: (I know better to not put my hands near the moving parts)
I am using the straw so at no point I was in danger to hurt myself. I ended up using my other hand to turn the tire, i was just hoping for a lazy method to work...

Back