Keepin' Austin Weird

FYI? The state of Maine has NO law on topless. Men and women are all allowed to be topless anywhere in public they wish to be. :D

Towns and cities do have laws though. It is like exhaust laws in Texas. No state law, just the cities have restrictions. I would rather have a state wide standard.

Dave

Well, I've been here 5 yrs and now doing job searches all over the country. I won't miss some of the weirdness, for sure.

I just put in an app for NASA in VA........if I get an interview and offer I'm gone!

Well, I've been here 5 yrs and now doing job searches all over the country. I won't miss some of the weirdness, for sure.

I just put in an app for NASA in VA........if I get an interview and offer I'm gone!

What don't you like about Austin? Compelling reasons for leaving? Honest questions for a valid reason. ;)

What don't you like about Austin? Compelling reasons for leaving? Honest questions for a valid reason. ;)

If I go, it is for taking a new job. Bottom line is I gotta make some more money. IF one of the places I've looked into here work out, then I will stay and be happy as well. I'm looking all over.

It's not that I'm against Austin, just that I think people are unaware that it is different than you see on the postcard. It is the capital in name only, quite different from the rest of Texas--me thinks. You could definitely make it work and there are wonderful opportunities available here and in the area.

I lived in DFW before I moved here 5 yrs ago. Austin is a little liberal pocket in the middle of a conservative Texas -- which surprises some people. There are great things about Austin, but better things about the surrounding area ;) If you live in the right spot, it is fantastic (hint: west/SW side or in surrounding towns). There are wonderful places to ride in the hill country and several race tracks in TX. In downtown Austin, you have the greenbelt to go running, kayaking in towne lake, cycling, of course motorcycles...many outdoors and healthy things to do.

The thing is, Austin proper years ago was different--as I have been told. If you want live music literally 7 nights a week, wild nightlife, dope, public nudity, hippies, rampant homeless - it is all here. Lifestyle is different and some people embrace it and love it. Also know that this traffic is extremely bad (and that compares to DC, NY, LA, San Fran, Houston, DFW, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, etc, etc.) IT will really shocked me how there are only 2 main routes N to S and you can not get through. I don't really think people expect to find that problem here, but.

Austin area is growing and IT industry is booming. Major companies have hubs here or are HQ here. Austin is 3rd behind Hollywood and NY for the movie industry. There is money to be made for the right people. There is UT (which I have a graduate degree from). So, a person could live here and enjoy the "fruits of life", so to speak, that are abundant and not have to be a part of the "weirdness", necessarily. But it is here. Just my take ;) :D

Hit me up with a PM if you want contact for some specifics. I know a few

Are you entertaining the idea of a relocatioin Eric?

Good luck I hope it goes well for you

Thanks. It is my first time to apply to that organization......so just that part is exciting. Sometimes just getting your foot in the door and talking to someone. The announcement is open for another week and then maybe I'll get an invitation to interview....

We didn't even mention BBQ, did we? This is the place.
Also, some vegan activities as well if that is your thing.......

Only other drawback for some people is allergies. For some reason, it is a high area for that.

FZ1yb; you make Austin sound like a great city! The rest of Texas looks very dull, though. I'll have to visit some day

The best riding is to be found in these parts ~ 360 days of the year ;) :D

Go north 2 hours and they get snow sometimes in Dallas (not much though). Not here!

We didn't even mention BBQ, did we? This is the place.
Also, some vegan activities as well if that is your thing.......

Only other drawback for some people is allergies. For some reason, it is a high area for that.

Was just in Austin last month visiting my sister, her husband works for apple and they just transferred from Singapore. It's a great city but I couldn't live there, between torchys tacos and all the BBQ I ate while there I would weigh 300 lbs in no time!

Back