Jacket Question

Does reflective piping alone make it military spec?

The requirement is for high contrasting colors.

There is actually no reflective clothing requirement...at least at what used to be Fort Lewis, now Joint Base Lewis McChord.

According to FL Reg 190-5:
"Motorcycles must have headlights on during operation.
Soldiers will wear a properly fastened helmet, proper eye
protection, full-fingered gloves, long trousers, long-sleeved
shirt or jacket, high-visibility garments and
leather boots or over-the-ankle shoes. Motorcycles must
have two rear view mirrors. Riders may not use
headphones or earphones while operating the motorcycle.
These rules apply on/off post, on/off duty." AR 385-55, App B-3.

I questioned a gate guard one day-as I recall he let me on post w/o my ICON Mil Spec Vest-and he said the reg was that clothing be "high contrast", but not necessarily reflective.

HOWEVER, now that were JBLM, we might get a new reg. to make the chair force happy. I understand McChord always required Mil Spec clothing for motorcyclists. ???

:D

Yes I know they go crazy about it, however my post States bright colored clothing during the day and reflective at night. And that's the CG's Policy not CSM.

BTW SGM better be addressing me as sir.

Remember Sir the Sergeant Major determines the uniform policy and it is okayed by the Commander.

So here's how is goes..."But Sergeant Major my jacket has reflective piping." "Sir! I don't give a rat's behind about piping! The regs state reflective vest! What about reflective vest do you not understand?!?!?" "Now move out and draw fire!"*

*Brought to you by your local retired G5 Sergeant Major. Who worked at one time for the III Corps CSM.

^ Lol I just (last year) left lllCorps before i reported to Benning. All I have to say is 3 1/2 yrs to retire then I'll ride naked if i so please. For now I will do whateva they want me to do.

^ Lol I just (last year) left lllCorps before i reported to Benning. All I have to say is 3 1/2 yrs to retire then I'll ride naked if i so please. For now I will do whateva they want me to do.

Hahaha! Too funny.

Actually it was MNCI, CSM C iatol a. He had a very wild life on his HD and learned about MC safety from a Texas DPS Trooper. 120+ drunk with his wife on the back. (I didn't know an HD would do 120!)

Hahaha! Too funny.

Actually it was MNCI, CSM C iatol a. He had a very wild life on his HD and learned about MC safety from a Texas DPS Trooper. 120+ drunk with his wife on the back. (I didn't know an HD would do 120!)

Yup top dawgs screw up too, we are all only humans that makes stupids decisions at times. I've had Post CGs as well as Post CSM that have been cited for DUI ON POST throughout my career. Imagine that.

What are your thoughts on Joe Rocket gear? I just bought this today at my M/C store, well ordered it since those on the floor were all black, not very visible to me. Got mine in white and gunmetal gray.

Oh it's the Leather Radar jacket

:tup: I have the Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket an really like the fit and build quality. I also really like Joe Rocket luggage, such as it is-they make very little. I have the Manta xl Tank bag and the Space Pack 2.0 (tail bag).

^ Well that's good to know since I've never had their product before but it did fit quite well in the store, and I hear a lot of talk about the brand. Hey it was time to replace my 3yr old Cortech mesh. Ok I admit it, I just wanted to buy me a christmas present :)

I am not in the military but I just started riding. I bought one of the Icon military vests though (yellow) It is actually a pretty cool vest. I wear a Knox armor vest, an AS jacket, and the Icon vest over everything. My jacket has a hump and the vest goes over very easily. The one thing I did have to do is that since I purchased the large vest there wasn't enough adjustment with regards to the elastic cord so I bought more from the local fabric store and replaced them with longer ones. I do have another jacket that is more fitted with no hump and the Knox vest goes over that one just fine too. I need to do a better review on that vest, it is awesome. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I wore a silver Tourmaster intake jacket riding onto Hood a couple months ago.......no problem. It was raining heavily at the time, but the jacket was not questioned.

Joe Rocket stuff seems to fit me well in the pants Medium (32-34) but the Jackets are built a little skinny in the middle. I am not that big in the middle and my large although it fits me well in the shoulders and elbows is fairly tight fit in the abdomen. I am thinking of trying an XL (46) to see if I lose anything in the shoulders and elbows as far as armor placement.

could you not go down the belt/braces route with hi-viz? you can wear what ever jacket you like and pop them over the top.

on the bright side at least in 3 1/2yrs time you can ditch the hi-viz unlike the french. tis compulsory for them now on any machine 125 and over...poor sods

I like the Joe Rocket gear, I have the Ballastic series textile touring gear and the Joe Rocket Blaster 3 leather coat. The only thing to watch is they are skinny in the middle they are definitely not for beer bellies. If you are ordering online it is best to try on at a shop and see what fits.

Back