Ivan's ECU Flash

Good stuff Billy. It really is an excellent mod isn't it?

BTW I think you really need to update your signature ;)

I was truly amazed to say the least. It's really a striking transformation that really can't be relayed through testimony. You just have to have had ridden a bike before and after to see the differences for yourself. It's kind of hard to explain but I find it hard to pick each and every difference cause it's more of a culmination of everything brought together to really work together nicely if you know what I mean. The bike pulls like a train in every gear and from every speed, and believe me I rode another 90 miles after Ivan's doing numerous roll-ons from 3rd,4th,5th, and 6th and it's just amazing. Anyhow, you know what I mean, and now I know what all the fuss was about and I LIKE IT!!!

Oh, and yes, I will update it this evening!

I was truly amazed to say the least. It's really a striking transformation that really can't be relayed through testimony. You just have to have had ridden a bike before and after to see the differences for yourself. It's kind of hard to explain but I find it hard to pick each and every difference cause it's more of a culmination of everything brought together to really work together nicely if you know what I mean. The bike pulls like a train in every gear and from every speed, and believe me I rode another 90 miles after Ivan's doing numerous roll-ons from 3rd,4th,5th, and 6th and it's just amazing. Anyhow, you know what I mean, and now I know what all the fuss was about and I LIKE IT!!!

Oh, and yes, I will update it this evening!

That was the same enthusiasm I had after putting in that ECU... it really is a new bike... I'm very happy you did it Billy! Welcome to the Ivanized Club! :Rockon:

And I fixed your name for ya! ;)

That was the same enthusiasm I had after putting in that ECU... it really is a new bike... I'm very happy you did it Billy! Welcome to the Ivanized Club! :Rockon:

And I fixed your name for ya! ;)

Thanks Pal! I'm back baby!!! FZ1riderNY for eternity!!!!:Rockon:

Oh and Tony came by today to do his hitch and we tested the fans which now come on at 198/199 degrees! Awesome!

This sounds really interesting, but I am wondering if one really wants the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions removed?

I am new here and want to know what are these first, second, and third gear restrictions? I just got a 2007 FZ1. I am interested in what the restrictions are and what they do. Do they limit revs or limit fuel to reduce power?

Last edited:
I am new here and want to know what are these first, second, and third gear restrictions? I just got a 2007 FZ1. I am interested in what the restrictions are and what they do. Do they limit revs or limit fuel to reduce power?
Not sure how but power is reduced. Ivan can tell you. OP Why would you not want the restrictions removed? Only gears you can use on the road without being arrested (hopefully).

I'm just wondering something, why does Ivan use a power comander if he is flashing the ECU? You can re write the fuelling on your own ECU without having to piggyback another fuelling unit. I'm asking this because Ive had my own ECU remapped for everything including fueling and the gear restrictions etc. My bike puts out 150bhp at the wheel now. No power commander on my ride.
Just asking that's all, I'm interested..

I'm just wondering something, why does Ivan use a power comander if he is flashing the ECU? You can re write the fuelling on your own ECU without having to piggyback another fuelling unit. I'm asking this because Ive had my own ECU remapped for everything including fueling and the gear restrictions etc. My bike puts out 150bhp at the wheel now. No power commander on my ride.
Just asking that's all, I'm interested..

Because not everyone uses the same mods or want's the same type of power output.

Because not everyone uses the same mods or want's the same type of power output.

When you say different mods what sort of different mods do you mean?
I'm asking as I have K&N air filter, copperdawgs modifide flies and graves verlosity stacks, iridium NGK plugs, micron serpent shortly pipe. Plus the ECU remap.
I wonder can Ivan sort out the fuel cut on the ECU without the power commander.
Just questions I'm asking as im very interested in all this.

OK, if you were to get a full exhaust, you gotta pull the ECU and take it/send it in for another reflash. Ivan can simply e-mail you a new map. I have the full Yoshimura exhaust where as you do not. However, I started with just a slip -on. The fact is that the bike runs well without the power commander too. It is just smoother and more powerful through the low and mid range power with a good map. I wish we could swap bikes and feel the differences.

I'm going on the dyno in the morning (fully Ivanized). Looking forward to see what gets laid down and if any fuel adjustments are necessary or if Ivan's map is perfect.

Most dyno operators will tune the bike to get a better af ratio so they will be removing plenty of fuel, especially in the low throttle areas. The only problem with this is that it makes the bike less smooth and all the popping and banging will return. I would leave the 0 to 10% throttle areas alone or reduce them slightly, the 15+ % throttle could be improved though.
Please let us know how you go.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Most dyno operators will tune the bike to get a better af ratio so they will be removing plenty of fuel, especially in the low throttle areas. The only problem with this is that it makes the bike less smooth and all the popping and banging will return. I would leave the 0 to 10% throttle areas alone or reduce them slightly, the 15+ % throttle could be improved though.

Sent from my Nexus 5

We''ll see. I 100% trust anything Huey would do to tune it a bit (Marietta Motorsports). He's been a crew chief and builder for many race teams all over the world, so I'm not just getting a dyno operator, but a true builder/tuner. I don't necessarily want it tuned to max power anyway, rideability in the real world is more important. While I do put her on the track, she isn't a purpose built race bike and I'm not running race gas. I want power, but I want a bike that'll last forever too.

My belief is that we may make some subtle adjustments here and there in fueling, but nothing drastic.

Last edited:
We''ll see. I 100% trust anything Huey would do to tune it a bit (Marietta Motorsports). He's been a crew chief and builder for many race teams all over the world, so I'm not just getting a dyno operator, but a true builder/tuner. I don't necessarily want it tuned to max power anyway, rideability in the real world is more important. While I do put her on the track, she isn't a purpose built race bike and I'm not running race gas. I want power, but I want a bike that'll last forever too.

My belief is that we may make some subtle adjustments here and there in fueling, but nothing drastic.

Just save the map before you go... I have had many ask me to send it again after they went to have it tweaked.

Ivan

When you say different mods what sort of different mods do you mean?
I'm asking as I have K&N air filter, copperdawgs modifide flies and graves verlosity stacks, iridium NGK plugs, micron serpent shortly pipe. Plus the ECU remap.
I wonder can Ivan sort out the fuel cut on the ECU without the power commander.
Just questions I'm asking as im very interested in all this.

This ecu has to be cut open to get at the programming that's in it... with that said, I cannot tweak the programming that you already have to add anything to it without cutting your ecu open. (I won't do this for anyone due to the potential liability)

The programming that I have made for this bike requires a power commander... The new PCFC is 1/3 less expensive than the PCV... so cost is a lot less.

I have purposely made it this way because I want everyone to be able to tweak it if they choose to... -or- if I make updates to the fueling, the ecu never has to come back... the updates can be e-mailed to my customers.

The reason why you still have fuel cut is because the equipment that your tuner has does not have the ability to disable it. Power Commander cannot disable fuel cut.

Ivan

If rideability is all you are after then you already have it with Ivan's map.

The main reason I have tweaked my map is for fuel savings but it comes at the cost of reduced smoothness.
The trick is to find a happy medium.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5

The biggest problem tuning this bike with a wideband is that the readings are very different than a gas tester at small throttle openings.. this is why when you remove the fuel (because the wideband says it's rich) the driveability goes to shit.

I've used both to get the tune where it is... people who have had the maps (for my flash) since the beginning have seen how the changes of removing and adding fuel in certain areas have affected it over the last few years.

The beauty of having the PC is that you (or I) can tweak it without sending the ecu back.

The other thing to be concerned with when tuning this bike.... Don't let the coolant temp go above 185 degrees on the dyno... and be sure to retest it again (after making adjustments) in the 160-175 degree range. If the engine gets too hot on the dyno, the tuner will remove way too much fuel and the bike will not run so good at normal riding temps.

Ivan

Last edited:
Back