Ivan's ECU Flash

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
I know many of you are aware of Ivan working on his own ECU mapping for the Gen II bikes but some who do not visit the Owners Association may not have learned of this. I am very curious about his results.

His flash is supposed to unlock most/all of what ECUnleashed unlocks. He is most focused at this time on the flies opening and the throttle snatch. He's unlocking the first through third gear restrictions and much more. But, he's not changing the fueling tables thus leaving that up to the owner to re-map using a Power Commander. This, I like!

The results he's posted thus far are promising. His current modding of the ECU with his full package and the IM and FCE disconnected has already yielded a few whiskers over 150 HP. :yes: :sinister: And.... he's not done tuning yet. I am wondering about using his ECU flash once it is proven along with all the mods I've already put in place... and if he will have a map covering all of this.

Just thought you should know.... ;)

"unlock most/all ECUnleashed"

so is he writing his own code?

cost compared to ecunleashed?

No idea yet how far he will go but yes, he is working with "unnamed parties" to develop his own flash for the Gen II ECU. He's examining all the tables, what their function is and unlocking/enhancing all performance tables. Testing along the way for positive/negative effects.

He's not releasing a cost yet so everyone is waiting with anticipation of both the results and the cost. I likely will not be the first, but I will wait for results from real-world riders and see where his cost settles to. I believe it will be better than the ECUnleashed flash.

Considering Ivan's reputation when it comes to FZ1 tuning I'm sure it will be topnotch. Watching and waiting for more testing and some real world reports once its released. 99.9% chance I'll be spending the money once it's proven and all the bugs are worked out. :)

This sounds really interesting, but I am wondering if one really wants the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions removed?

I mean according to Ivan's post on the other forum the front wheel lifts above 4500 rpm with just little throttle input. That would be damn dangerous going through curves. I am never below 4500 rpm in the twisties and already now have problems controlling the power sometimes. While the restrictions from Yamaha might be a bit conservative, I still remember all the deaths with the first gen R1 because of too much power which was difficult to control.

I really do not understand why the bike must wheelie, you loose already acceleration when the wheel lifts and in leaned over it is not a good experience. I had this already several times and if it is with minimal lean at the end of the curve it's ok but when you just start accelerating you do not want to have to much power, because of highsider risk.

In former times only good riders could ride (and live) a 1000cc bike. Then they restricted the power of them because everyone wanted one (1999 R1) and could not control it. Well the newest generation is not restricted but has a traction control which also prevents wheelies depending on the setting.

IMO the latter is the way to go, just removing all the "restrictions" might be too much. I really would like to ride one before doing the reflash.

This sounds really interesting, but I am wondering if one really wants the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions removed?

I mean according to Ivan's post on the other forum the front wheel lifts above 4500 rpm with just little throttle input. That would be damn dangerous going through curves. I am never below 4500 rpm in the twisties and already now have problems controlling the power sometimes. While the restrictions from Yamaha might be a bit conservative, I still remember all the deaths with the first gen R1 because of too much power which was difficult to control.

I really do not understand why the bike must wheelie, you loose already acceleration when the wheel lifts and in leaned over it is not a good experience. I had this already several times and if it is with minimal lean at the end of the curve it's ok but when you just start accelerating you do not want to have to much power, because of highsider risk.

In former times only good riders could ride (and live) a 1000cc bike. Then they restricted the power of them because everyone wanted one (1999 R1) and could not control it. Well the newest generation is not restricted but has a traction control which also prevents wheelies depending on the setting.

IMO the latter is the way to go, just removing all the "restrictions" might be too much. I really would like to ride one before doing the reflash.

This is a good point. However this another situation that will come down to rider responsibility just like anything else on two wheels. Mine lifts the wheel off the ground just under 5k now, its just fun. I wouldn't mind riding a mod ECU FZ before hand either though. In the end who doesn't want better response and more.....
1316595744_clarkson-power_zpsb36a0200.jpg

If you read further into it, he quantifies this with a couple statements. The lifting at 4500 RPMs is with a FULL exhaust system and he states that it is not until 6500+ with the stock headers, even if the cat is gutted and a slip-on installed, before the front will lift. Without his flash, my bike begins lift-off at about 8500 in first and 9500 in second. Of course, this is ludicrous speed, not something I'm doing in a corner unless it's a large sweeper.

With a full system and this flash in place, we're just much closer to the original R1 level of performance this motor was originally designed for so I look at it as such.... not a lot different than getting on the R1, just less aggressive ergos. ;)

This is a good point. However this another situation that will come down to rider responsibility just like anything else on two wheels. Mine lifts the wheel off the ground just under 5k now, its just fun. I wouldn't mind riding a mod ECU FZ before hand either though. In the end who doesn't want better response and more.....

I'm betting you weigh a lot less than I do. ;) (Most riders here my height probably do.... :( ) I'm about 230 lbs with full gear on.

For me, it's not about the wheelie/hooligan. It's having the power available if/when needed. Passing to get out of a troublesome pack of cagers.... loaded down on a long tour, rides into the hills/mountains. I've never purposely wheelied my FZ1 (or either of the FZ6's) but I've had the front up several inches on a few occasions. But, just as quoted here from speeddemon2588, "that will come down to rider responsibility" so it will take a bit of relearning for anyone buying this mod. ;)

I'm not sure what Ivan has up his sleeve for improving the FZ1's performance, but the current "sperbikes" are now considered inferior if they don't have some kind of traction control to keep the rider from getting over their head with a heavy throttle hand. I've always felt that the bike with the smoothest and most controllable power was easier to get to the finish line first and on the street no one needs to have something that can get out of control with a seemingly micro change in the throttle or brakes for that matter. Hopefully the end product of Ivan's testing will concentrate of making the FZ1 quick, but more manageable (getting rid of all throttle snatch without the need for a separate FCE would be a very good thing). I've learned to deal with it on m 08, but it sure would be nice to eliminate it altogether.

By removing the throttle snatch and the restrictions on all the gears, Ivan is making the bike much smoother and very predictable where today, the lower gears are all over the place and the bike is not linear until the rider is at the "in over your head" RPM range. If anything, these will make the bike that much more enjoyable. :tup:

I'd love for the restrictions to be removed. I ran a '98 R1 every day for 7 years, 6 of which it was streetfightered, and lost about 20 pounds from the front end. Now that wheelied off the throttle in the first three gears. It was manic!!!!
IMAG0352.jpg

I'll be honest with you. I miss that 'violence' when you twist the throtle, and it all goes bonkers! My 2010 FZ1 is a fantastic bike, but I'm always looking at upping the power, something I never felt the need for on the R1. I'm no mad rider, not by a long shot, and my throttle control took me through 7 snowy/icy winters and out the othe side still alive.

With the extra released power, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Ok maybe I understood the description wrong. Form earlier posts in the thrad on the other forum it sounded that even a slight throttle increase above 4.5k rpm would lift the front wheel and that is not what you want.

If I have to go WOT to get it lift it is no problem. On the other hand it has nothing to do with self control or something like this, if the bike would wheelie with even slightly increased throttle than it is not drivable because you have to increase the throttle when cornering, slightly of course ;).

Ok maybe I understood the description wrong. Form earlier posts in the thrad on the other forum it sounded that even a slight throttle increase above 4.5k rpm would lift the front wheel and that is not what you want.

If I have to go WOT to get it lift it is no problem. On the other hand it has nothing to do with self control or something like this, if the bike would wheelie with even slightly increased throttle than it is not drivable because you have to increase the throttle when cornering, slightly of course ;).

When Ivan said that, he was talking about whacking the throttle to wide open. When we hit the apex of a corner, we roll on the throttle so no, it will not immediately lift... but it might at the end of the exit from the curve if you've now gone WOT. :D

The good news is, it will be MUCH more predictable. :tup:

Hi all. I have been reading with interest about the reflash. I am keen to have the restrictions removed to access the low end grunt once the corner exit is under control.

I have had a very smooth throttle on my 06 FZ1 since fitting the GYTR slip on, FCE, airbox, BMC, PC3, stacks, AIS and a custom tune a couple of years ago. Now I have the R77 Yoshi full system on and it is much better than the stock header / gytr slip. The power comes on hot and strong in most situations, but the 2 seconds at 6K rpm is annoying at times. So a reflash is a good move I think, and Ivan seems to be close with a solution.

Does anyone know how the reflash will (or won't) affect the Australian ECU, with the Key/immobilser system and any other differences to the USA ecu.

Last edited:
Back