Is it just me ????

I'm never completely happy with anything :eek: I'm quick to point out what I don't like about something while ignoring what I do . Just ask my wife !! :eek5:

I hear you loud and clear. :D but I think the Fz1 and I will get along great after pumping up the power a little and dropping a tooth on the front.
The FZ1 probably is the slowest stock bike I've owned in 15 years or so. I'm just one of those people that's always looking for perfection.
I think I own about 10 nine foot surf fishing rods. Everything from $100 off the shelf rods to $400 customs. I'll never find the perfect rod or the perfect bike. :banghead:
The 2012 Aprilia Tuono sounds like something I would be happier on but the price, fact that its Italian and some odd styling will keep me from buying one.
Easy to see why you would think I wont be happy on the FZ1 but other than the power I'm very happy. Great brakes, ok suspension , perfect styling in my eyes ( love looking at her ) fairly comfortable, smooth engine with very little vibration, buttery smooth shifting.....I could go on forever.
Once I get her at 140 + hp and a little grunt around 7000 rpm I'll be grinning from ear to ear.
41 now, a little over weight, a bum left arm and I seem to get a new ache every month :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] I'm done with sport bikes.
Too bad the Italians had to be the first one's to build a true sport bike with handlebars. Unless the Japanese build something like the V4 Tuono I'm on the best bike for me. :tup:

Trust me super Googan once you have done most the mods and have 150hp @rear and redo the suspension your impressions of the FZ1 will be much different from the stock standard bike. A bike has to have a balance between power & handling and 150hp is more than enough for fast road riding and the occasional trackday, a good quality rear shock and a fork upgrade is an essential piece of the puzzle. By the way i prefer no-flies:yes: but try it with smaller ones for a comparision.

Trust me super Googan once you have done most the mods and have 150hp @rear and redo the suspension your impressions of the FZ1 will be much different from the stock standard bike. A bike has to have a balance between power & handling and 150hp is more than enough for fast road riding and the occasional trackday, a good quality rear shock and a fork upgrade is an essential piece of the puzzle. By the way i prefer no-flies:yes: but try it with smaller ones for a comparision.

You guys wont be happy until my credit card bursts into flame will you ?? :laugh2::laugh2: The good part is after I get all the power mods done I'll have all winter to think about spring suspension mods........and give the wife time to recover from financial shock :tup:

The Tuono does have a nice electronics package and weighs a bit less but I can tell you right now 162 HP is at the crank not the rear wheel. 150 at the rear of my FZ1 and yes I have ridden the V4 and both on the same dyno and Yes it is a great bike but no faster than my modded FZ that cost a third of the price.

The Tuono does have a nice electronics package and weighs a bit less but I can tell you right now 162 HP is at the crank not the rear wheel. 150 at the rear of my FZ1 and yes I have ridden the V4 and both on the same dyno and Yes it is a great bike but no faster than my modded FZ that cost a third of the price.

New 2011 Aprilia Tuono on the Dyno | BSD Performance
154 at the wheel STOCK !! Pretty impressive !!!

I do agree with you at $14,999 NO WAY !!! but you just have to respect the first standard/streetfighter to break 150 hp at the wheel stock ! and include the killer electronics package.
Just can't imagine $14,999 and I'm comfortable with Japanese reliability and parts availability.
I've never owned an Italian bike but have heard it can get expensive.

Last edited:

I do agree with you at $14,999 NO WAY !!! but you just have to respect the first standard/streetfighter to break 150 hp at the wheel stock ! and include the killer electronics package.
Just can't imagine $14,999 and I'm comfortable with Japanese reliability and parts availability.

Yea, I think you're headed the right way. The FZ suped up should satisfy you and you get the great Yamaha reliability. I think you said you were 41 and it's very rare after your 30's to stay in that bent over position on the super sports for over an hour or 2 without getting a lot of pain somewhere. But like you, I'd love to see an unaltered supersport engine, suspension, and gearing on a standard bike. Maybe that's the VMax? A lot of money for that bike but I do love it.

Last edited:
Yea, I think you're headed the right way. The FZ suped up should satisfy you and you get the great Yamaha reliability. I think you said you were 41 and it's very rare after your 30's to stay in that bent over position on the super sports for over an hour or 2 without getting a lot of pain somewhere. But like you, I'd love to see an unaltered supersport engine, suspension, and gearing on a standard bike. Maybe that's the VMax? A lot of money for that bike but I do love it.

Not the VMax so keep looking :lol: VMax has a great engine, but it's a big heavy bike that doesn't handle all that well IMHO. I've ridden it twice and for that money I could think of a lot of other bikes I'd rather drive.

The new Tuono is awesome i cant wait to take a demo for a spin, i dont think there will be much in performance between it and my modded FZ1, i presume the Tuono will make the Yammy look silly in the handling department. As for as the electronics, im not a big fan of rider aids like TC, A/B/C modes & ABS. I prefer to have complete control between my wrist and tyre along with rider craft. Ride a 1999 R1, what an awesome raw beast that demanded respect and scared the shit out of the novice rider who didn't respect that power. Now days the superbike don't have the raw fear factor about them, in fact they are too to easy to ride and user friendly. the last real bike that had the X-factor was the 05-06 GSXR1000 totally unleashed no gimmicks....

Last edited:
Back