Is it just me ????

Just me or does anyone else feel the Gen 2 is a little weak in the torque department ?? I mentioned in another thread that the FZ1 power does not really get strong until close to 8000 rpm.
Most of the responses were making me look like a power crazed mad man like I had no idea what I was talking about.

These guys are all moving up to the FZ1 from a VTR 250 or a 600 ??

The average age here is 75 ???

Please tell me I'm not a delusional, a rabid power junkie !!!

I can't believe I'm the only one here that thinks the FZ1 is a little tame below 8000rpm.

I will agree with you on that. Compaired to my wifes Bandit 1250 or a buds BMW R1200R yes it is a little weak below 7000rpm. But above that neither one of them has a chance.

That said the FZ1 has more than enough power for most riding situations at all rpm's. I rarley have to downshift to make a pass.

I agree with that, and quite frankly thats why the bike appeals to me so much. I can commute and ride around town in stop and go traffic without any trouble, but when I want to play, it certainly plays.

its all in the exhaust. If you go to a full system, filter, airbox mod and a Fuel system controller the mid range is great. Mine stock was 75 hp at 7500 now its around 106.

It's been well known since the Gen II came out that power at mid rpm's was weak compared to the competition and this has been duly noted in all the test reports I've read about the Gen II. I don't find it an issue in normal use, but if you want the king hit of the hp in the engine you can keep the rpm's above 8,000, then you can blow the doors off most bikes.

its all in the exhaust. If you go to a full system, filter, airbox mod and a Fuel system controller the mid range is great. Mine stock was 75 hp at 7500 now its around 106.

31 hp gain at 7500 :wow: Looks like I'll be doing some mods !
I'm not really crying about the mid range. I was just surprised that others did not agree with me in the other thread that it's a little weak.

I'll mention something that others have not, at least not that I've seen yet.
Yamaha put 45mm throttle bodies on the FZ1. What the hell were they thinking ! No wonder it's goofy in the low/mid range. The bike would of been fine with 38mm-40mm. I think that may be part of the problem.
Some bikes its easy to just throw out the flies but the throttle bodies are huge on the FZ1, not what you want for midrange response on a detuned R1 motor. I bet Yamaha uses 45mm throttle bodies on the R1 and was just to cheap to set the FZ1 up with a more reasonable 38mm-40mm.

This is the truth for sure. Had mine on the dyno and best mid range was 108 @ 7500 rpm with a top of 151 hp. More HP than a Bandit at peak at 7500rpm, ya cant say that is under powered.

I agree that the stock FZ1 is a little weak under 7000 rpm.
I came from a 2006 GSXR1000 so I initially found it little lacking in the bottom end.
After doing all the mods in my signature, it is much better.
It will never have the bottom end of a Gixxer thou but is still plenty strong enough around 5-6k rpm

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

i agree with pretty much everything said. somebody said they rarely have to downshift to make a pass, but i am not sure if it's the way i ride or what, but i constantly have to downshift to pass. but like i said maybe it's the way i ride:innocent0002:

Lets remember we're dealing with a 998 not a 1200 or 1250 so the FZ1 gives up a couple hundred cc's to some of the other larger sport bikes and I doubt it was ever intended to meet their TQ numbers down low. It's obviously a high RPM runner. If that's what you want it's for you, if not, go to what you're looking for. There are some really nice sport 90 degree twins that have more grunt down low, but they'll cost you in the pocket too.

Yes, power may not really start until 8k RPM in stock form, but as other can attest once you do all the mods (including the very beneficial full exhaust) it's a different story. Also dropping the front sprocket by a tooth helps, especially the passing ability on the highway. At 70-75 MPH I rarely downshift anymore to pass...

I have a stock 2010 except for a 16t front sprocket and I just love it's mild low end and hard hitting top end.
My bike can go from 30mph in 6th gear to redline, firmly and smoothly, and I believe that this is where some take offence at the low end being called weak. A truly weak low end would buck and lurch if you tried this.
So, though it is indeed weaker than some in the low end, it is still quite functional and strong in use.

Dave

Call me crazy but I read this in a "what should I buy thread here yesterday"; anyways coming from 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 cruiser, I wish some of you folks can have the opportunity to attempt to cruise around town at 30 MPH in 2nd gear and tell me what you think of the "lack of TQ in the FZ1"
Maybe I really just don't get it, since this is my first and only sportbike I've ridden.

Totally agree. I had a bandit 1250,and the difference in torque at low revs is big . But, like said before, if you go up to 8000rpm ,the other bike must be a good one to follow the fz1. ;-) I have also the idea to mount a pc5 and a full exhaust system this winter.

Greetz marc

sounds like someone bought the wrong bike, try an r1

No way !! I love my FZ1 I just was surprised that in another thread. The majority of members thought I was nuts saying that the FZ1 felt a little weak under 8000rpm compared to other sportbikes or standards in the class.

I'm now aware that many here have come from less powerful bikes in general.
They seem to be the guys that think I'm nuts. The guy that rode a Shadow
thinks he's on a torque monster and the guy that had the Bandit agrees with me.
Think I just assumed that most here were more like me. My picture of the average FZ1 owner was a picture of a guy 30-50 That had been there and done that. Ridden 1000cc sport bikes and decided to go for a little more comfort this time.
I'm surprised to find so many here are coming from a 600 or a cruiser .

I think this bike is fantastic. Yes, with the stock gears the lower tq is more obvious but with a -1 in front I feel as though its real good all around. I came from a 1300CC Cruiser and then to the Gen1 FZ1. I think the Gen1 has more down low, but the Gen2 feels stronger up top. To me, if it doesent have enough pull I downshift. And in first gear at WOT I never feel as though there isnt enough power. This is mostly why I have not done the PC3 and other mods as I don't have the use for them. But thats just me. I am also 23, not 75 LOL. This bike is not a busa but it sure is fast enough for me. :)

Back