Is it just me ????

Lets remember we're dealing with a 998 not a 1200 or 1250 so the FZ1 gives up a couple hundred cc's to some of the other larger sport bikes and I doubt it was ever intended to meet their TQ numbers down low. It's obviously a high RPM runner. If that's what you want it's for you, if not, go to what you're looking for. There are some really nice sport 90 degree twins that have more grunt down low, but they'll cost you in the pocket too.

I knew what I was buying with the FZ1 and have a plan :Rockon:
Reading the forums I knew that getting some mid range performance and close to 150 hp is pretty easy on the FZ1. Looks like exhaust/airbox/pcv and you can get 25-30hp at 7500 and a nice bump down low.
Easier than getting a ninja 1000 or GSX to the same numbers. I doubt your going to see 150hp on those bikes without doing cams.

The FZ1 is a classic beauty in my eyes. The other bikes in the class left me uninspired to put it mildly.

No way !! I love my FZ1 I just was surprised that in another thread. The majority of members thought I was nuts saying that the FZ1 felt a little weak under 8000rpm compared to other sportbikes or standards in the class.

I'm now aware that many here have come from less powerful bikes in general.
They seem to be the guys that think I'm nuts. The guy that rode a Shadow
thinks he's on a torque monster and the guy that had the Bandit agrees with me.
Think I just assumed that most here were more like me. My picture of the average FZ1 owner was a picture of a guy 30-50 That had been there and done that. Ridden 1000cc sport bikes and decided to go for a little more comfort this time.
I'm surprised to find so many here are coming from a 600 or a cruiser .

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. It's where you're coming from, in other words, perspective. A friend let me try his BMW super sport with all the mods that could be done. I found it difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground. That's too much power for me personally. I believe it was the K1200S. That bike would probably match your skills better. For the average rider (remember, there's a heck of a lot of Harley riders out there) that bike would be more than they could handle. I like the mild manners of all the FZ's down low and when I feel like I'm pretty cool (which I assure you I am not) I can bring out the beast.

Also, please remember, a used FZ6 or FZ1 is a huge bargain when you think of what you'd pay for that BMW. Add some mods and if you know how to wrench (I don't) then you are way ahead of the game. I don't think anyone here thinks their FZ1 is the king of the hill. But we all like it a whole lot. It's just hard to beat as a do everything bike for the price.

Two words...

16/47

I'm going to drop a tooth on front............but I'm already looking for 7th gear every time I'm on the highway. Hope I'm not wishing for 8th gear after I do.
Anything under 75mph on the highway around here and grandmothers and soccer mom's will probably run me over.

I swear most bikes are begging for a for a 7th gear !!

I'm going to drop a tooth on front............but I'm already looking for 7th gear every time I'm on the highway. Hope I'm not wishing for 8th gear after I do.
Anything under 75mph on the highway around here and grandmothers and soccer mom's will probably run me over.

I swear most bikes are begging for a for a 7th gear !!

I tried looking for 7th a few times at first, but you get used to it. Now I wouldn't have it any other way...

At 80 mph I'm just a little over 6K rpms...

I knew what I was buying with the FZ1 and have a plan :Rockon:
Reading the forums I knew that getting some mid range performance and close to 150 hp is pretty easy on the FZ1. Looks like exhaust/airbox/pcv and you can get 25-30hp at 7500 and a nice bump down low.
Easier than getting a ninja 1000 or GSX to the same numbers. I doubt your going to see 150hp on those bikes without doing cams.

The FZ1 is a classic beauty in my eyes. The other bikes in the class left me uninspired to put it mildly.

What sort of riding do you do?. For me the FZ1 ticks all the boxes but i have spent $$$ to make 152hp & handle like its on rails. In hindsight i should have started with an R1 and converted it into a streetfighter. The FZ1 was flawed from the beginning with a strangled detuned motor, shit supension and significantly heavier than the R1?.

What sort of riding do you do?. For me the FZ1 ticks all the boxes but i have spent $$$ to make 152hp & handle like its on rails. In hindsight i should have started with an R1 and converted it into a streetfighter. The FZ1 was flawed from the beginning with a strangled detuned motor, shit supension and significantly heavier than the R1?.

What sort of riding do I do??......average street riding, lots of back roads/twisty, some short distance sport touring. A little of everything.

My perfect bike would handle like a 600 have hayabusa power and be as comfortable as a goldwing........is that too much to ask for >> :p:p

Shame none of the Japanese manufactures don't just take a 1000cc sport bike add some rake, a little longer wheelbase, drop the pegs a little and throw some handlebars on it.
Why do they insist on detuning the engines and throwing cheap suspension on ???
I think the first manufacture to build a true sport bike/standard that just happens to be comfortable will have a BEST SELLER FOR SURE !!!! I mean come on Yamaha is it that hard to build a semi naked R1 and let us have full power and the good suspension ?? Just increase the rake, a little more wheelbase and sit us up a little.

Look how the sportbikes are all getting different power modes to choose from. Why not offer that on the FZ1 instead of detuning the motor ?? Surely it's less expensive than developing a new motor with different cams, crank, head and so on.
Selectable power modes would make the FZ1 appealing to everyone in stock form.

Sportbike guy with old knees and a sore back ? Power mode A full power.

Experienced rider sport touring and not a power junkie power mode B, just a little less.

Less experienced rider moving up in class power mode C nice and safe.

Your a big chicken :jaw drop: or its raining power mode D

Such a large segment of riders buying bikes in this class just want a sportbike in standard clothing that is not a torture rack !!
Many of us , possibly the majority are a little older 30's, 40's and have come from a sport bike background.

Every Japanese manufacturer is building a 1000cc spotbike and an open class Standard/streetfighter/semi naked bike.
When one finally decides to give us the sportbike power and suspension and the comfort of the standard that bike will be an ALL TIME BEST SELLER

Considered throwing handlebars and lower pegs on a sportbike. Concerned I would end up with a peg grinding, head shaking, wheelie machine that pushed the front end. Shifting the riders weight upright would probably mess up the handling and wheelie control without more wheelbase and some rake. I also like a fairing/windscreen. That wont work with handlebars on most sport bikes.

The FZ1 was the best choice for me right now. I can live with the suspension for the time being and after a few mods I'll have some good power. :tup: She's a sexy devil too !

I'm sure Yamaha with come out with a semi naked R1 for the new third Gen FZ1 2 days after I make the FZ1 perfect for me . :jaw drop:

It might not be Japanese but the Aprilia Tuono V4R sounds like what you are after.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The Tuono V4R is very close to my idea of perfection but has a couple things I just could not ignore. As you said it's not Japanese and that alone is a deal breaker for me. I've watched friend's suffer with Ducati maintenance and parts cost's. My keen sense of style also feels a little repulsed when I look at it. Maybe I'm shallow but I need to feel the same way when I look at my bike as I do when I look at a beautiful woman.
I must say that if it was the same bike with a little different styling and had a Japanese manufactures name on the tank. Well I just might be riding one !

I did not really consider it as an option when I bought the FZ1. Thank you for calling it to my attention. Just did a little more reading on it and watched a few videos. Really is a cool bike !! Hope the Japanese decide to build something very similar.

My Arrow header, PCV and DNA filter are on the way :) Think I'll be happy soon. :yes:

It might not be Japanese but the Aprilia Tuono V4R sounds like what you are after.

You know what.................the more I read and look at it the more I like it !!!

If a crazed American woman shows up at your door looking for a fight.....it's my wife !!!! I'll blame you if I buy the Tuono :p

I'll stick with the FZ1 for a few years ( to save my marriage ) but if the Japanese don't step up with a better standard. I may take a hard look at the Aprilia next time. Very cool bike even if the styling is a little odd to me.
Wonder how the Aprilia's compare to the Japanese bikes as far as maintenance, reliability and parts availability/cost ? I imagine not very well. I've always had a fear of the Italian bikes after hearing the price for a valve adjustment a few years back

EDIT ! I JUST LOOKED UP THE PRICE $15,000 ! Think I would rather have 2 left over FZ1's !

Last edited:
You know what.................the more I read and look at it the more I like it !!!

If a crazed American woman shows up at your door looking for a fight.....it's my wife !!!! I'll blame you if I buy the Tuono :p

I'll stick with the FZ1 for a few years ( to save my marriage ) but if the Japanese don't step up with a better standard. I may take a hard look at the Aprilia next time. Very cool bike even if the styling is a little odd to me.
Wonder how the Aprilia's compare to the Japanese bikes as far as maintenance, reliability and parts availability/cost ? I imagine not very well. I've always had a fear of the Italian bikes after hearing the price for a valve adjustment a few years back

EDIT ! I JUST LOOKED UP THE PRICE $15,000 ! Think I would rather have 2 left over FZ1's !

Reliability maybe not be as good as Japanese but that remains to be seen.
From everything I have read about the bike, it is an absolute weapon for real world riding.

I'm very much like you. I've grown used to the fact that my bikes start every time, never break down, and maintenance is cheap. The Japanese bikes got this and no other manufacturer in my experience has that kind of reliability. The first time that Tuono didn't start or broke down somewhere I'd kick myself in the behind. The Italians make super cool bikes but they have yet to convince me they are as reliable as the Japanese bikes. Same for American bikes for that matter. Triumphs on the other hand have appeared to close the reliability gap fairly significantly so I would consider their bikes, if they had a good FZ1 competitor.

Yes now your talking, what a bike with the V4 livery. I would love to own one of these at some point but at 26k new here in NZ i will be waiting a few years and try to snare one 2nd-hand with low km's. I also like the new Triple speed= awesome motor:Rockon:.

Triumphs on the other hand have appeared to close the reliability gap fairly significantly so I would consider their bikes, if they had a good FZ1 competitor.

Yes now your talking, what a bike with the V4 livery. I would love to own one of these at some point but at 26k new here in NZ i will be waiting a few years and try to snare one 2nd-hand with low km's. I also like the new Triple speed= awesome motor:Rockon:.

Norm if you get the chance take a test ride on the Speed Triple...it'll make a hooligan out of you in no time :D

Not to be judgmental, but given your background (hayabusa's n all), I don't think you are going to keep the FZ1 too long. I just get the feeling. I can tell sometimes looking at people's posts, how long they are going to keep that bike. If you are not completely happy with a bike in the initial few months, then it is not going to last long.

People who keep the FZ1s are usually the ones that came from less powerful or 600 SS bikes or those who are matured riders.

Last edited:
If you are not completely happy with a bike in the initial few months, then it is not going to last long.

I'm never completely happy with anything :eek: I'm quick to point out what I don't like about something while ignoring what I do . Just ask my wife !! :eek5:

I hear you loud and clear. :D but I think the Fz1 and I will get along great after pumping up the power a little and dropping a tooth on the front.
The FZ1 probably is the slowest stock bike I've owned in 15 years or so. I'm just one of those people that's always looking for perfection.
I think I own about 10 nine foot surf fishing rods. Everything from $100 off the shelf rods to $400 customs. I'll never find the perfect rod or the perfect bike. :banghead:
The 2012 Aprilia Tuono sounds like something I would be happier on but the price, fact that its Italian and some odd styling will keep me from buying one.
Easy to see why you would think I wont be happy on the FZ1 but other than the power I'm very happy. Great brakes, ok suspension , perfect styling in my eyes ( love looking at her ) fairly comfortable, smooth engine with very little vibration, buttery smooth shifting.....I could go on forever.
Once I get her at 140 + hp and a little grunt around 7000 rpm I'll be grinning from ear to ear.
41 now, a little over weight, a bum left arm and I seem to get a new ache every month :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] I'm done with sport bikes.
Too bad the Italians had to be the first one's to build a true sport bike with handlebars. Unless the Japanese build something like the V4 Tuono I'm on the best bike for me. :tup:

I'm never completely happy with anything :eek: I'm quick to point out what I don't like about something while ignoring what I do . Just ask my wife !! :eek5:

I hear you loud and clear. :D but I think the Fz1 and I will get along great after pumping up the power a little and dropping a tooth on the front.
The FZ1 probably is the slowest stock bike I've owned in 15 years or so. I'm just one of those people that's always looking for perfection.
I think I own about 10 nine foot surf fishing rods. Everything from $100 off the shelf rods to $400 customs. I'll never find the perfect rod or the perfect bike. :banghead:
The 2012 Aprilia Tuono sounds like something I would be happier on but the price, fact that its Italian and some odd styling will keep me from buying one.
Easy to see why you would think I wont be happy on the FZ1 but other than the power I'm very happy. Great brakes, ok suspension , perfect styling in my eyes ( love looking at her ) fairly comfortable, smooth engine with very little vibration, buttery smooth shifting.....I could go on forever.
Once I get her at 140 + hp and a little grunt around 7000 rpm I'll be grinning from ear to ear.
41 now, a little over weight, a bum left arm and I seem to get a new ache every month :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] I'm done with sport bikes.
Too bad the Italians had to be the first one's to build a true sport bike with handlebars. Unless the Japanese build something like the V4 Tuono I'm on the best bike for me. :tup:

In that case :D

Gut the cat - FREE
Gut the stock exhaust or get cheap danmoto/Delkevic/used known brand - FREE/$200
Open up the airbox - FREE
Remove/Cut down the flies - FREE
PC3 - $180 used/250 new
Duke's Maps - FREE

For around $200-500, you have a total badass bike making almost 145-150 hp. With custom tune, it will make 150hp but not sure you would notice the difference much unless you are at near redline. I never felt the urge to spend that $350 on a custom tune.

:tup:

In that case :D

Gut the cat - FREE
Gut the stock exhaust or get cheap danmoto/Delkevic/used known brand - FREE/$200
Open up the airbox - FREE
Remove/Cut down the flies - FREE
PC3 - $180 used/250 new
Duke's Maps - FREE

For around $200-500, you have a total badass bike making almost 145-150 hp. With custom tune, it will make 150hp but not sure you would notice the difference much unless you are at near redline. I never felt the urge to spend that $350 on a custom tune.

:tup:

:sport12:
Air filter ordered
GYTR slip on installed
Cats gone
PCV is ordered
16 tooth is here
Arrow headers ordered
The dremel is ready to attack the airbox
I NEED to order flies
After the bank account recovers ignition module

and I may have the ECU flashed at some point even if its just to remove the restrictions in the lower gears

:sinister::yes::yes::yes:

Back