I'm On Two Wheels Again!!!!

Just back from Boston with my "new to me" ride. I scored a 1997 YFZ1000R with 11,181 original miles on it. Of course she needs to be cleaned up and shod with new Bridgestones, but she runs good and has no leaks. The body panel has one minor crack that hasn't gone all the way down, so some JB Weld inside and some bondo outside and she will be good as new. All fluids need to be changed as well as spark plugs and air filter, and I'll be ready for Spring. The only other thing is getting rid of the Vance & Hines can which is horribly loud. I had $250 bucks shaved off his asking price, so at $2,000 dollars I think I got a killer deal. I guess I'll be starting yet another Springtime Makeover Thread soon!!! Here are just a few pics. I'm exhausted after my 7 hour drive and won't get into the garage until tomorrow. I'm happy to be a Yamaha owner once again!

This is over at the seller's house
IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

Here was my bargaining chip. Dry rotted Dunlops. He didn't argue with my offer and the deal was done quick.
IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Thats what I like to see on the odometer! Low Miles!
IMG_2510.jpg

The Chain and sprocket will be replaced as well as the front sprocket. I have some cleaning to do!
IMG_2509.jpg

There are some scratches on the fairing but nothing too bad. I checked thoroughly and as the seller told me, the bike had never been dropped. I checked the areas that Tony told me to look for and everything was clean.
IMG_2512.jpg

Here she is back home ready for the break-down!
IMG_2515.jpg

I will get some video of her running tomorrow to post. I probably won't sleep much tonight!

Last edited:
Looking good Billy! Glad to hear you're back on two wheels :tup:

I'm sure she'll clean up well. Hey it looks cleaner than my YZF when I got it that's for sure. As for the chain and sprockets do a 530 conversion (stock is 532). I'll take a ride over one of these days to check it out. Let me know if you need any little screws as I probably have some spares laying around.

Last edited:
Looking good Billy! Glad to hear you're back on two wheels :tup:

I'm sure she'll clean up well. Hey it looks cleaner than my YZF when I got it that's for sure. As for the chain and sprockets to a 530 conversion (stock is 532). I'll take a ride over one of these days to check it out. Let me know if you need any little screws as I probably have some spares laying around.

Wow! How did you know about the screws?!! I'm going to take detailed pics tomorrow. I believe I'm missing 3 or 4 total. Yeah bud! Any weekend you got some time I'd be happy to get your input. We'll have some of those great "bodega" heros!!!

Wow! How did you know about the screws?!! I'm going to take detailed pics tomorrow. I believe I'm missing 3 or 4 total. Yeah bud! Any weekend you got some time I'd be happy to get your input. We'll have some of those great "bodega" heros!!!

I saw one missing in that speedometer shot :D

By the way I'm not 100% sure, but based on what I'm seeing that looks like a full V&H exhaust. That means the EXUP valve has been eliminated and would explain why you find it so loud.

By the way.... Do you have the factory specs on this bike? Like horsepower and torque?? I have to look for a manual or I'll be lost.

145 HP stock. Should be pretty much on par with your Gen I FZ1. Biggest difference is that this one is a 5-speed. You definitely want to go up a tooth on the rear sprocket when you replace them. I have a photocopied service manual (in a binder) that I can give you.

I saw one missing in that speedometer shot :D

By the way I'm not 100% sure, but based on what I'm seeing that looks like a full V&H exhaust. That means the EXUP valve has been eliminated and would explain why you find it so loud.

So thats why the exhaust is not a "slip-on" type! I was looking to see how the can was attached but it ran the entire length into the lower fairing.

So thats why the exhaust is not a "slip-on" type! I was looking to see how the can was attached but it ran the entire length into the lower fairing.

Yea, that explains it alright. I bet that thing must have jet kit already. Can't imagine it would run well with the EXUP eliminated and stock jetting. They are already pretty lean to begin with. I'm sure it will have a nice top-end hit, but a corresponding 4-5k RPM power dip. If it turns out to be too much you can try getting an OEM header (w/ EXUP valve). There are like three on eBay right now!

Sweet !!! Yeah those tires are scary looking to me now, But when I was young they didn't look so bad. That was until I took a flat (blowout) at freeway speed and did a little dance down the off ramp. Of course the tire was filled with slime. The lessons of youth...

Those tires were my ace in the hole. Once I saw those cracks, I already knew I was going to use that to bargain the price down. The seller couldn't argue about it once I showed him. I'm a die hard Bridgestone user anyway so they would have been replaced regardless.

Those tires were my ace in the hole. Once I saw those cracks, I already knew I was going to use that to bargain the price down. The seller couldn't argue about it once I showed him. I'm a die hard Bridgestone user anyway so they would have been replaced regardless.

That's what I run on my FZR400. I am using the Batlleax's, Really like them.

Wow, that's great Billy. It really crushed me when you had to sell your FZ. I'm glad that things are doing better and your on two wheels again! :shoot:

Thanks Pete! My son was so happy for me. He saw my face when the guy wheeled her out of the garage. I think he knew I was going to jump on it. Had he not gone down on the price I think I would have gone home empty handed though. Considering the mileage, I felt that $2 G's was a good deal. I've been in love with that bike ever since riding Tony's home from Poughkeepsie a couple of years ago.

Awesome stuff Billy!!! Great find.
Now I really cant wait to come up there for a trip up Bear Mt. knowing you wont be on a hog! lol.
I really cant wait to see how you 'Make it your Own" as the next couple months go by. Your way around a bike is Poetry in Motion. You did a very nice job on the last bike you had. It was an FZ1 if I recall. Certainly didnt sell teh same lame bike you bought. You had it hooked up very nice. I hated to see it have to go. Hopefully this one will be a keeper long after you put your own blood sweat and tears in it.

Looking forword to a ride my friend.

Back