I Registered to Race in the Texas Mile Oct 26 !!!!

No mention of any bad things happening, only good things.

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 6:38 PM CDT
Updated: Oct 29, 2012 6:38 PM CDT

CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) - Here are some of the highlights from the Texas Mile event that took place this past weekend:

· Jennifer Robertson broke the standing mile record for the world's fastest female on a motorcycle with a speed of 243.6mph on a Suzuki Hayabusa
· KP Racing bested their time as the world's fastest Camaro with a speed of 263.2 mph
· Sean Kennedy set a new Texas Mile record in a Ford GT with a speed of 263.3 mph
· Revan Racing set a new world record as the world's fastest Ford Mustang with a speed of 220.8mph in a 2007 Shelby GT500 Super Snake Convertible
· The event's fastest motorcycle was a 249.6 ridden by Hussain Alsowaigh on a Suzuki Hayabusa

You can also visit the Texas Mile Facebook page for more on the event.

Highlights from this Weekend's Texas Mile - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Hey guys - Sorry I have not posted until now. Part of that was out of necessity and part of it was out of being so disappointed. I was so excited about getting back into racing. I have wanted to do this race for 3 years and finally got the chance. Poured a BUNCH of time & money into getting everything ready, practicing my launches, etc.
I was packed and loaded 3 days EARLY. LOL Loaded my truck, trailer and R1 and went to work Wed night for the last shift of the week. As soon as I got my paycheck in my hand I was hitting the road. I even went so far as to plan out some favorite places to eat, grab a Starbucks, etc - I couldn't wait. In fact I even thought to myself several times "Everything is really coming together well". HAHA
Left Brownwood about 8:30am and headed to Beeville to FINALLY race in this race. I even decided to play it cautious and drive a little slower just so I wouldn't have any trouble on my transit. About 9am - 27 F*cking miles down the road I start smelling smoke. I pray to God that someone is burning trash around the rural areas that I am driving through. Well unfortunately they were not........About a mile or 2 more - BLACK SMOKE starts coming out of the engine. :rant::wilynily:
I'm stuck like chuck! Now I have the problem of trying to get back to Brownwood (approximately 30 miles back). That was HARD in itself. Just to add a little to this - a cold front had blown in and I was freezing my ass off! I honestly don't know if I could put into words how angry/disappointed/pissed off I was that day. I have been working toward this for over 3 years. This was the most bummed out I have been in a long time. In fact that is part of the reason it took me until Tues to post this.....I was so angry and disappointed that I didn't even want to think about it. LOL I turned on Facebook once and all that was posted was pics from the race - I turned it back off! This sucks!
So I have been spending a lot of time trying to get my truck fixed. LOL I put ALL OF MY MONEY into this race so I am kind of stuck for a while. Not to mention towing a truck that has a trailer on it really complicates things. My truck can't be towed because of the 4 wheel drive. That got expensive. Luckily I had a buddy that came out and helped me pull my motorcycle back to my house. That was the only break I caught this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for checking on my results. I appreciate that. In fact one of my friends even let me borrow his GoPro so I could post up some videos. I appreciate everyone's support. I wish I had better news to post up but there just has not been a whole lot of good news on this trip.

Ahh crud....Man I am really sorry to hear about the truck.

There is always next March.

So are you back home or in Brownwood? I drilled there with the Guard for several years when I was on tanks, liked the range, hated Brownwood.

Sorry, not 100% clear from your post. You didn't get to the race at all? Or you got to race but you're in a heap of trouble now with a sick truck and your wallet tapped? Either way, really sorry to hear about your luck. Life can really dish out some dirty kicks sometimes. I know it's trite, but you have to just remember the things you DO have to be thankful for, and bust your ass to get back on top. I feel for you, man. We've all had those days where it feels like life must be stacked against you. It's done now; look forward to the next opportunity and don't let the bad luck gremlins win! Best wishes that things turn around.

Thanks guys...I appreciate you guys checking up on me and your support. I was really bummed over this one.
In fact I was so angry and disappointed that I didn't even want to post up and tell the story.

Last edited:
Damn Carl, that totally sucks I want to be out there next time! Were they nice enough to give you any kind of refund?

LOL
No Brad - the woman I emailed to tell her I was out (hoping someone on the waiting list could race) mentioned that right away. No refunds.
She did post this:

The City of Beeville, Texas held a special council meeting today (1/16/2012) in reference to voting to utilize hotel/motel tax funds to offset the increased premium needed for the $50,000,000 insurance requirement imposed by Chase Field's Business Development Authority (BDA). The City Council voted unanimously to approve the use of $71,449.00 to offset the extensive premium required. The Texas Mile has been providing a significant economic impact to the area for the past nine years.

The Texas Mile Staff thanks the City of Beeville and officials that made this a priority. The City of Beeville has been a huge supporter of The Texas Mile and continues to demonstrate their desire to welcome us and the economic and PR impact we provide.

Now to what you all really want to hear: With this great news from the City of Beeville, we are ready to launch registration this Sunday (1/22/2012) at 2:00PM Central Standard Time. Remember that The Texas Mile has sold out in 24 hours in the past!

We look forward to seeing you in Beeville, Texas on March 23-25, 2012.

Sincerely,

Jay Matus, Shannon Matus & Jessica Reyna

[email protected]

281-303-1844
J & S Matus Motorsports, Inc.

So I hit the EXACT same brick wall I have been running into each time I try to race. I work that weekend. Since I work 7 on 7 off - taking a weekend vacation time in the middle of the schedule -the weekend- is tough. I may try to work it out but usually if I work - I can't pull it off.
They race 3 times a year and I know that I am probably out for the next race. in March. They have a summer race but I REALLY think staying in a tent and racing in a leather suit in the HOT ass Texas weather would be tough. I just don't want to do that. I have been on many camping trips during the summer and it can get tough. The guys who have an RV at the track can cool down in between races - the people who don't will hate the heat. Especially since I'm working nights (and I hate to admit it but I'm not 20 yrs old anymore - that was hard to type :gaming:) the heat really hits me since I have not been in the heat. I honestly think you build up a tolerance to the heat. If you are not used to it - it can really get you.
Ok - so I'm passing on summer 2013. The 3rd race of the year will be Oct 2013. LOL I guess I have 11 months to go.. :thewave: HAHAHAHA!!!!

One thing I can be extremely happy about is that if I get to race in a future race - I have everything ready to go. All the little things that you have to do will not be a problem. That is nice because there are about a 100 little things that you have to do to get ready.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Carl. I can imagine the let-down.... Well, maybe there was divine intervention and a reason you didn't get there. Who knows? But planning for next year is the spirit! I know you will do the Mile in the future.

Sucks though... :(

Thank you guys. I really do appreciate your words of encouragement. This is a great forum with great people. In fact both forums have been really good to me.........I guess FZ1 owners are just awesome ;)

Back