I´ll get a PCV - how should i start

Sorry for my newbish question, but what is tps based tuning

Throttle Position Sensor and RPM. Only common in the fuel adder / bike world. Marginal/sketchy tuning logic but easy to document and explain. A work around at best.

The other more convectional way to do tuning is Manifold Absolute Pressure MAP and RPM. Mass Air Flow or MAF tuning is also very common in the automotive world.

Beast

Last edited:
For us less capable, I'm asking about just the AutoTune. Put it on and let it do its work. Worth it or not?

At this point I could do one without the digital display. No autotune setup will work with TPS based tuning at small throttle angles. The trick is making the tune MAP based below 12% throttle.

Beast

The LCD 200 is somewhat optional but is a huge help.

The wideband/autotune setup is mandatory. I like the Harley version if you can afford it and you have the LCD-200, as you get duel widebands.

The dyno is a $35000 option (or the typical moron that owns it that concentrates mostly on just cashing your checks) is an option I elect to pass on.

You no longer need the PLX MAP sensor as the stock one is better.

Beast

oh god, that to high for me.

So the casual way of plugging the Autotune in and let it do its job is not a good way or is it? :)

help im confused :D

Last edited:
For us less capable, I'm asking about just the AutoTune. Put it on and let it do its work. Worth it or not?

Ken,

I have already said my piece on the Autotune and actually a good bit on Beast's perspective. Feel free to drive on up to Silver Spring, MD if you want to experience how well TPS tuning can actually work on my 06 with its "untuneable" ecu still in place. . . .

eurban,

Did you do the mods to yohr bike? I'd like to do some of the stuff you did but feel its above my head. Specifically, FCE, 16t, SpeedoDRD, airbox mod. What is the airbox mod?

Worth every penny of the price of admission. If mine broke, I would replace it with the same thing.

My bike runs a hugely different tune from summer to winter. The autotune module found it. When I mentened it to Fuelmoto, they knew all about it on the Yamaha ECU.

Beast

Last edited:
eurban,

Did you do the mods to yohr bike? I'd like to do some of the stuff you did but feel its above my head. Specifically, FCE, 16t, SpeedoDRD, airbox mod. What is the airbox mod?

I did all the mods myself. Paying someone else to do it all would have been astronomically expensive. . . .
Nothing was particularly difficult. The sprocket change is simple conceptually but requires the correct size very large socket and is best done with an impact driver. The FCE requires a strong stomach to splice into the factory harness and good crimping technique (practice off the bike first) is important. While you have the tank off (or propped up) consider replacing the stock fuel line which can kink very easily (see Blinds Spot's unkinkable fuel line mod on the other site). The SpeedoDRD is plug and play and very easy.
Although there is some disagreement, a Power Commander is probably a good idea if you are going to modify the intake tract. The airbox mod (search for Lars Airbox mod) basically removes the sound reducing (and very restrictive) snorkel on the airbox. Also consider at this stage a high performance air filter and either replacing / modifying stock / or removing the secondary butterflies. The FCE works very well in conjunction with the cut down flies to give a noticeable bump in midrange power. . .

The full Yosh system performs very netting large gains in the midrange right where this bike needs it the most. The ignition module rounds out the "full package."
End result is close to 150hp at the top of the rev range with about 100hp at 7K. This is a good 25hp+ more than the stock bike in the meat of the rev range. Power delivery is smooth and linear and snatch is completely gone. Basically the bike is transformed. Wallet is a bit lighter though:)

Thanks. I'd need help. I have the PCV now as well as the R77 slip on and the K&N filter. I also have the block off plates and the EXUP removed. I would't feel comfortable at all installing the FCE or the flies. As for the FCE, it amazes me that the unit just doesn't come with mating connectors. It would probably add $10 at best. Such a high tech product with a low tech solution.

Worth every penny of the price of admission. If mine broke, I would replace it with the same thing.

My bike runs a hugely different tune from summer to winter. The autotune module found it. When I mentened it to Fuelmoto, they knew all about it on the Yamaha ECU.

Beast
No wonder there is confusion . . .Beast are you really understanding the question being put forth?? Will the Autotune, when used in the CONVENTIONAL manner to generate a TPS based "custom" tune, give decent results?? Like most people on these forums, the two posters asking this question are not likely to purchase the additional equipment you are using or be willing to make the commitment of time and mental energy to learn how to use it.

No wonder there is confusion . . .Beast are you really understanding the question being put forth?? Will the Autotune, when used in the CONVENTIONAL manner to generate a TPS based "custom" tune, give decent results?? Like most people on these forums, the two posters asking this question are not likely to purchase the additional equipment you are using or be willing to make the commitment of time and mental energy to learn how to use it.

You have to pay to play. Autotune (or for that matter dyno tuning) will never give great results on any TPS based tune on a bike that is MAP based tuning under the covers. It is like controlling the water level in the pool by playing with the water temp. They are not related like using a hose to add and subtract water from the pool. Simply a better way to control the water level than playing with the thermostat.

MAP based tuning at low power levels is that much better.

Beast

Well then i think im going to send it back when the autotune arrives,
Start with a stage I map, and then let my uncle do the work in a few weeks.

If we read inside the words, it seems that the FZ1 is a MAP-based tune under the covers and the autotune is not Andy's choice for tuning. Based on all the issues and complaints with the autotune (and not only on the FZ1 but many other bikes) I wouldn't get one myself. The money is better spent elsewhere. You're going to get acceptable performance out of shared maps. Save one person, no one else is looking for the Utopia of fuel vs. performance. ;)

If we read inside the words, it seems that the FZ1 is a MAP-based tune under the covers and the autotune is not Andy's choice for tuning. Based on all the issues and complaints with the autotune (and not only on the FZ1 but many other bikes) I wouldn't get one myself. The money is better spent elsewhere. You're going to get acceptable performance out of shared maps. Save one person, no one else is looking for the Utopia of fuel vs. performance. ;)

The autotune works perfectly, once set up to adjust the fuel in a way that is in sync with the factory ECU.

The autotune works perfectly, once set up to adjust the fuel in a way that is in sync with the factory ECU.

Again Andy, you are missing the point. The rider wants to know if the PCV and autotune with NOTHING ELSE is worth the money. According to your notes, no, it isn't unless all the other added expense and knowledge can be thrown in, none of which the member wants or is willing to buy.

Bottom line, all that was asked is if the autotune with the PCV is better than a dyno tune. You're confusing the issue without providing a direct answer. Your finding and ideas are highly regarded and respected but there are very few members that would pursue the same level of tuning as you have.

Thanks.

Again Andy, you are missing the point. The rider wants to know if the PCV and autotune with NOTHING ELSE is worth the money. According to your notes, no, it isn't unless all the other added expense and knowledge can be thrown in, none of which the member wants or is willing to buy.

Bottom line, all that was asked is if the autotune with the PCV is better than a dyno tune. You're confusing the issue without providing a direct answer. Your finding and ideas are highly regarded and respected but there are very few members that would pursue the same level of tuning as you have.

Thanks.

The only added cost is 3 foot of wire to connect the MAP sensor and a wire splice. A dyno tune is only for one elevation and one intake air temp. Get away from those base conditions and the tune is a mess. Good luck with that. You save having to rent the dyno and dealing with the guy that keeps cashing your checks.

Beast

The only added cost is 3 foot of wire to connect the MAP sensor and a wire splice. A dyno tune is only for one elevation and one intake air temp. Get away from those base conditions and the tune is a mess. Good luck with that. You save having to rent the dyno and dealing with the guy that keeps cashing your checks.

Beast

Beast,

I'll say it again. Would you like to ride my "full package" 06? I live the East Coast had have ridden around the area to my hearts content. I have ridden in summer and winter. Performance has been nothing but satisfying. Crazy power but with smoooooth delivery. Heck, I haven't even spent for a custom tune; Ivans E map and Duken's Perfection map both perform wonderfully.
The GenII has been around for 6 years and the mods /maps have been developed, tweaked and vetted by the community for years. Haven't you developed some of those maps yourself? Now you say we are using inadequate techniques and are driving around with untuneable ECUs?? All I have to do is hop on my bike to know this is BS. I do appreciate the technical side of what you are doing and it is also an interesting read. However, I have yet to get anything from you that I can actually use to improve my motorcycle. God save the newbies who follow your advice . . .

Back