I´ll get a PCV - how should i start

sychodan

Hi all together :)

Im getting my used PC-V next week, and im really looking forward for it.
I´ll hope the throttle would be a little bit more direct and smoother (i´ll also get an FCE at the beginning of july, i´ll get the german version of friedhelm which would be rather similar to ivans build , i guess)

So my question is, with which map should i start with the Power Commander.

My bike is unmoded yet, except the Akrapovic Hexagonal slipon Exhaust.

Should i take the Standard 420-510 of Dyno?
Or take the Whittlebeast Stage One of Dukes mappack?
I´ve also read there´s a map from Ivan , but not for free use, isnt it?

I hope someone can help me out here, and sorry if this question was asked before and sry for my beginner english here ;)
But i´m asking becouse i dont wann do anything wrong to my bike, i just got last week.

Best regards from Germany,
Dan

Welcome to the forum! And your English is very good btw!

You would want to start with the Stage 1 maps with only a slip-on. Go to FZ1OA Download Pack.zip and this includes Duken4evr and whittlebeast smoothed maps. whittlebeast is on this forum so you can ask questions of him. He is MORE than helpful!

Ivan's maps come with his sale of a PC unit and he hasn't authorized their distrobution that I am aware of. But many have had great success with Duken and whittlebeast maps. With that single map pack, you can jump to other maps as you make changes to the bike.

Thanks for joining! Ride safe!

thank you very much for your fast reply :)

just for me to understand, the Duken and Whittlebeast maps are not the same? I´ve just found the WB map in the pack i got .

OT: meeee it could be a little better. i´ve been to Vegas 2 years ago and it was ok to order some beer and food. and tons of, the bar lady called screwdriver (vodka orange) :D

Last edited:
thank you very much for your fast reply :)

just for me to understand, the Duken and Whittlebeast maps are not the same? I´ve just found the WB map in the pack i got .

They are not the same but the smoothed whittlebeast maps are mostly from Duken's base maps where Andy ran them through his smoother, so I guess they are Duken based, but Andy smoothed. Duken and Andy share a lot of knowledge and endorse each other's efforts. Great teamwork!

so it would be totally ok to take andys map and i dont have to be freightend my enginge will be blown becouse of that map , or should i ? :)

as is said, hp is not so importend to me, then a better throttle response :)

Cobalt i really thank you much for helping :)

so it would be totally ok to take andys map and i dont have to be freightend my enginge will be blown becouse of that map , or should i ? :)

as is said, hp is not so importend to me, then a better throttle response :)

Cobalt i really thank you much for helping :)

Id fit everything within the same wk and get a custom map made on a dyno. i got a few extra horses and torque and improved my Fuel air ration over the whole rev range with the custom map. its a nice feeling riding knowing that its been tuned specifically for my bike and mods.

Glad to help! I'm hoping that more people in the know will jump in as well. :D None of these maps would do serious damage to your bike. Inside of the map pack I linked to is some good documents explaining the maps and their intended use. With the stage 1 maps, you are very safe. No worries at all, just improvements. The FCE will provide most of what you are looking for in throttle response. The PC map will only help make the bike more linear and predictable.

As for the difference in the PC units.... here is what the PC V added over the PC III.

The New Power Commander V is loaded with tons of new features. Below you will find some Power Commander V features.

• Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
  • Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
  • USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
  • 2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
  • Gear input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)
  • Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
  • With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).
  • Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes
  • 10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)
  • Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

@marc yes, its firm to me that a custom dyno run would be the best solution for my bike, but as is said, i´m not looking to get the last hp out of the bike, just to smooth it a little out.
if i ever think the power isnt enough, and the next step is worth me the 300 Euros, then i´ll do that first for sure.

@cobalt
thanks for taking that fear off me :)

With what I have learned in the last year of tuning this bike, I would never consider tuning one of these bikes without the wideband/autotune/LCD200 setup.

A normal income will never support the time required to do this correctly on a dyno and you will never get it right with and TPS based map.

Beast

Hi Beast, thanks for your reply. :)

so i start with your stage one map, an then when ive got the money, it brings more to buy the autotune than a single dyno run?

The costs are likely the same here in germany for a single dyno run before / after , and the autotune set.

With what I have learned in the last year of tuning this bike, I would never consider tuning one of these bikes without the wideband/autotune/LCD200 setup.

A normal income will never support the time required to do this correctly on a dyno and you will never get it right with and TPS based map.

Beast

What mods/stage are you at with the bike now? Would you expect the auto-tuned map to perform the same way loaded on a bike that doesn't have all of the PC items installed?

Outside of gutting the CAT, I've done nearly all the other mods to the bike. I hope to have a spare set of headers soon so I can gut the cat but keep my OEM set in the event I need it (no telling what NH might do with bike emissions!). The PC V is now on the way but I didn't want to spend the money on the autotune, wide band or LCD. I completely understand the why and how nice it would be to have that setup but... that's serious coin!

Thanks Andy.

-Eric

I really wish I had a cheaper solution....

Right now I have cut air box, plugged AIS, tied flies, can exhaust, and a 2010 Euro ECU running full time closed loop based on the widebands. The header cat is still there.

Beast

Last edited:
If found a comment in the internet , a us site where you can by the autotune, where someone writes that dyno also said , there are some probs with the fz1 the r1 or the vmax . Is that right?

Whats the way i should take ?

I install the pcv next week , an then i start with your map stage one, right? And then next month ? Auto tune oder dyno-run ?

Best reards,
Dan

I really wish I had a cheaper solution....

Right now I have cut air box, plugged AIS, tied flies, can exhaust, and a 2010 Euro ECU running full time closed loop based on the widebands. The header cat is still there.

Beast

Are you running the FCE as well or no?

I have the cut airbox, K&N filter, modded flies, AIS removed, 2Bros can and stock ECU. I hope to have a spare header to play with the gutted cat soon. Without the wideband and MAP addition, on a PC V, is your smoothed Stage III map going to be the prime choice? That was where I planned on starting after installing the unit.

For those maps that people are running WITH the FCE, how much of a difference is there in the maps?

Back