help me spend 500 bucks

Thanks Ballmead, I was going to reply to that but you hit the nail on the head.

There is a reason most people go for the Penske. Quality parts, decently fair price, Made in the USA, and an amazing product overall. I am not bashing any other brand here though, the Penske is just what is going to work best for me. I actually ordered my 8983 today lol.

I see and understand much better now, thanks :) I am definitely a made in the USA person, thanks for the info as I too am in the market to upgrade my shock. It seems you guys have already done all the leg work for all us noobs, thank you!

There is a reason most people go for the Penske. Quality parts, decently fair price, Made in the USA, and an amazing product overall. I am not bashing any other brand here though, the Penske is just what is going to work best for me. I actually ordered my 8983 today lol.

On an 06, it was brutally stiff at 700lbs. 07 to current are 600lbs.

On my GenI -- the stock spring rate was 450lbs. which totally sucked. My rear shock was revalved and I then changed the spring to a 600lb. This made all the difference in the world.

A soft rear shock is what causes your front to float as you apply throttle coming out of a corner. The bike never gives you a secure feeling until you feel the front sticking to the ground. You do have to be pushing it to feel this. Whatever is best for a GenII, I'm sure you could modify for around $500 for your weight. Then it is easy to sell this setup when you want to upgrade to a Penske 8983.

The front end also is all about keeping the wheel on the ground and trying to minimize dive while heavily braking at corner entry -- but -- the first thing everyone should try to learn is going into a corner smooth without braking --- just selecting the proper gear and being smooth. This gives you more time to save up for a proper front cartridge.

I use a Traxxion Dynamics cartridge for the front and it's great. There are other types out there also but none probably as helpful as Lee at Traxxion.

IMHO --- 300 miles a day is all anyone needs to ride --- being safe is more important than a seat.

Apparently, your rear shock is crap and if I were you that is where I would start. So now I'm about the 6th guy to tell you that. :)

This is why I just ordered the rear shock as well. I cant upgrade my front end without doing the rear! However, with the Gen2 you cannot upgrade the stock rear shock like you can with the Gen1.

But yeah Joe, Lee must be the most helpful guy on the phone I have ever talked too with a more personal business than a big corporation.

This is why I just ordered the rear shock as well. I cant upgrade my front end without doing the rear! However, with the Gen2 you cannot upgrade the stock rear shock like you can with the Gen1.

But yeah Joe, Lee must be the most helpful guy on the phone I have ever talked too with a more personal business than a big corporation.

Then he should save his money until he can get the 8983.

This is an unbelievable change for handling and Lee will set it up just for his weight.

As a side note or an important note --- you won't get a lot out of a track day without better suspension. You will feel like you have a lot more to learn when it is the bike letting you down. Being stable is everything for confidence development.

As a side note or an important note --- you won't get a lot out of a track day without better suspension. You will feel like you have a lot more to learn when it is the bike letting you down. Being stable is everything for confidence development.

I disagree. I've spent years coaching new racers on driving the maximum out of their stock cars instead of relying on upgrades as a crutch; in my experience, the same applies for motorbikes and then some.

Personally, I have learned a lot from running trackdays on my various stock bikes, all shapes and sizes. An especially valuable day was on a 125cc bike in the rain. Each session I'd revel in the fact that there was so much more the bike was capable of giving me, even though it was a floppy turd. A little coaching goes a long way.

You're stroking people's egos by telling them they won't gain anything from track experience on a stock bike. Bad man! ;) We're going to have a forum full of PapaGenos who spend months and thousands of dollars making their bikes pimp and then only ride it 500 miles a month.

Last edited:
I learned a lot of a lot from running trackdays on my various bikes, all in stock form. An especially valuable day was on a 125cc bike in the rain.

You're stroking people's egos by telling them they won't gain anything from track experience on a stock bike. Bad man!

I said they wouldn't learn a lot --- not that they wouldn't learn anything. If your bike isn't stable at the track, it will make you hold back on the throttle or worry too much about the tires breaking loose.

I see no point in riding in the rain at a track unless you are going to race. I have to pay to fix my bikes.

We're going to have a forum full of PapaGenos who spend months and thousands of dollars making their bikes pimp and then only ride it 500 miles a month.

What have I done to my bike that is so spectacular that other people have not? There are a lot of people on this board that have done a LOT more than me.

And for the record, I do drive this bike. Its a 2010 which I got August 30th, and already has 4130 on it. Not bad considering the winters here are not rideable.

I've done quite a bit to mine. It's been to the track and will be as often as possible. It's been on a six day/ 500 mile a day trip and I give it a good spanking every time I can, just shy of 10,000 mi in a year. Seems that there are a lot of people here who Mod, ride and then report. I'am all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot that with my lower risers I dont think a stabilizer will fit and right now I dont have the money for a shock however i am thinking I will call Traxxion and talk with them.

I don't think you need the stabilizer until you raise the rear and or lower the front. I do believe the GPR will work with the low risers and (Ballmead, Buildarcher) One from Sprint mounts underneath by the lower triple and is cheaper (cost)

i saw the Sprint one but not adjustable on the fly. I never had so much trouble spending money,maybe its a sign to just buy some new tires since I know I will always need them and they are having rebates on Storms right now

So is Penske the place you'd order it from then? No cheaper places anywhere I suppose. Did you go with the Piggyback or remote Reservoir? Just curious.

No. Give Lee a call at Traxxion Dynamics. They will build the shock for your riding style and weight, and have it perfectly setup so you just install it and ride.

So is Penske the place you'd order it from then? No cheaper places anywhere I suppose. Did you go with the Piggyback or remote Reservoir? Just curious.

I think you can order from Penske direct but I don't know if there is a price difference. The nice thing about Traxxion is Lee. He has owned a FZ1 and has set the shock up for many a FZ owner. The 8983 is not available in piggy back form for the FZ1 Gen II. There are other companies who make a piggy back for the FZ but are more expensive. The 8900 does not have a reservoir and is a little cheaper. I am very impressed with the setup I have and the difference from stock is amazing. I rode a stock setup a couple of weeks ago and it felt like it took for ever for the bike to stop wallowing after hitting a bump or ripples.

The shock sounds like a very good idea. How do you like your Mivv? Do you have the carbon, Ti or stainless? I am saving for the suono. I have a 09 cobalt blue FZ1. I have no other engine performance mods yet.

Back