Hello from NB, Canada - 2009 FZ1

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a 2009 FZ1 with 11,011 kms (6842 miles) for $4500 Canadian (not worth anyting in US now!) so I could take my 12 year old daughter along on some motorcycle trips. The seller even included a jacket, helmet, and boots for her, plus a new battery. I might not have actually bought an FZ1 if it wasn't for my daughter wanting to come along on rides, but I am very happy with my purchase. My ZX-6R was not an ideal 2-up machine, although she still enjoyed the short rides we did. I plan to take the bike around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia with my daughter as a passenger, my wife on the ZX-6R, and my son on the Ninja 250.

Other bikes I rode before buying the FZ1 were a used 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 and a new leftover 2014 Honda CB500X. The main thing I was looking for was good passenger handles and the FZ1 made the cut. The Versys had extreme vibrations so it was off the list. Too bad because I thought I always wanted a Versys. I really liked the CB500X but the dealer was terrible at customer service and couldn't give me a price, even after waiting for over a week!

Anyway, I am now an FZ1 convert and I look forward to learning lots here. The bike is completely stock and has two very square Dunlop Sportmax D221 tires (original!). All I have done so far is remove the 4 reflectors but I plan to add Woodcraft frame sliders, Woodcraft spool sliders, axle sliders (not sure which brand yet), and a mount for my Givi topcase that I have been using on various bikes since 2000. My wife picked up some Michelin Pilot Road 2s that I will be installing next week. That's about it for mods because the FZ1 is bike #6 in my garage and I went overboard with mods on 4 of them already.

Other bikes in the fleet are a 2014 Yamaha BWS50 (Zuma in US), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM, 2006 Honda CRF450R motard (track machine), and 2003 ZX-6R. Here's some pictures of my FZ1. The person in the picture is my daughter and the reason for the purchase :cool:

Attachments

• 09FZ12.jpg
    09FZ12.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 09FZ1.jpg
    09FZ1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 09FZ13.jpg
    09FZ13.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 09FZ14.jpg
    09FZ14.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 09FZ15.jpg
    09FZ15.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canadian! Nice bike and even nicer reason to buy it! Looking forward to some photos of your trips around the inredible Maritimes. :)

Hello & welcome from the "pas si Belle Province" :sport12:

BTW you bought the fastest , most reliable color:D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I see owners of a VFR and SV650. I had a 99 SV650S and 03 VFR800. I almost bought a naked leftover 06 SV650 but the supermoto bug bit and I purchased an 07 DR-Z400SM instead. I think its going to be for sale because my 06 CRF450R has taken over as the track toy. Enough rambling. Heading out tomorrow to put some more miles on the FZ1. I can't believe I didn't consider this bike in the past. The previous owner also has an 09 FZ6R and I tried it as well. I was tempted but the passenger handles weren't as good for my daughter and I figured it was about time I owned a 1000. I am looking forward to lots of fun on this bike and plan to keep it for a long time.

I've had an SV650 and a DRZ 400SM! Good taste :)

I think it's really cool how you and your daughter do trips together! Does she show interest in getting her own bike?

She will be able to ride our Yamaha BWS50 scooter (Zuma 50 in the US) on the street legally when she is 14. My 15 year old son has been using it all summer. My daughter has no problem controlling it around the parking lots and on our long driveway when she tried it. I used it a surprising amount this summer too. Its great for running errands, plus it gets 132 mpg!! My daughter has also been riding a Yamaha TTR50 and various ATVs so its safe to say she will continue riding in the future. I plan to attend a track school next year with my son and hope to take her at some point too. Its a great bonding experience. I drug my wife there once, but now she just likes to take pictures while I ride around the track.

For those who haven't been around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, here's some pictures. I went around on the ZX-6R twice this year and will be taking the FZ1 soon. Its the only road I've ridden that compares to the track and was voted the #1 motorcycling road in North America by USA Today in 2014. It also has some great hiking trails and camping areas but I haven't stopped to hike ever since I bought a motorcycle :p
Best Motorcycle Trip Winners: 2014 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

Attachments

• Cabot Trail.jpg
    Cabot Trail.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 66
  • CabotTrail2.jpg
    CabotTrail2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 67
  • CabotTrail3.jpeg
    CabotTrail3.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 64
  • CabotTrail4.jpg
    CabotTrail4.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 66
You are making it easy to convince me that a riding trip to the east coast is in order, beautiful photos. I've been coast to coast by car but the big stretch in the middle isn't so attractive to me on the bike ;)

You are making it easy to convince me that a riding trip to the east coast is in order, beautiful photos. I've been coast to coast by car but the big stretch in the middle isn't so attractive to me on the bike ;)

Nova Scotia has some amazing roads. I did a 4000 km trip from New Brunswick to Manitoba and will agree with you about the big stretch in the middle :tdown:

I made it around the Cabot Trail on the weekend and also did the Sunrise Trail and Marine Drive in Nova Scotia. Day one was 874 kms (543 miles) because I ended up getting stuck in a huge construction zone in New Brunswick with 24 km of dirt, gravel, and even mud (see dirty pics below). Day 2 was better with a total of 1260 kms (783 miles). I planned to do an Iron Butt 1600 kms (1000 miles) but my wife was worried about me riding after dark so much in moose country. The FZ1 performed flawlessly and was much more comfortable than my 2003 ZX-6R I took around the Trail earlier in the year. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who can take the time to do it.

Last edited:
Back