Got hit by a car

Glad to hear you came out of it relatively unscathed. But I have to ask, for clarification, what do you mean when you say "lane". Was it an actual right turn lane or did you pass on the shoulder or space next to the curb? If the former, she is most definitely at fault, if the latter, you bear some of that responsibility. Unless of course it's legal to pass like that in CA, in which case I'm just talking out me arse.

Glad to hear you came out of it relatively unscathed. But I have to ask, for clarification, what do you mean when you say "lane". Was it an actual right turn lane or did you pass on the shoulder or space next to the curb? If the former, she is most definitely at fault, if the latter, you bear some of that responsibility. Unless of course it's legal to pass like that in CA, in which case I'm just talking out me arse.

It was less than 200 yards from the intersection, but technically the shoulder lane. Cars can park there. It is very common for people to use that space if open to get up to the intersection to turn. Obviously she wanted to do the same thing I was doing, but failed to signal or look before she just ran into me. I will have to wait and see what the insurance companies think.

As to the CT, it came back fine. So just sore and bruised a bit.

Yeah glad u r OK. Here in south the people run red light like its a fashion statement. I've learn not to launch right after red to green light.
Great defence is good offence.

Glad you're ok as we'll. Just my observation but I don't pull that move because people are usually looking left while stopped waiting for a gap in traffic to make that right turn. I usually go in between the lanes and make the right turn there in front of the first car, I feel it's safer there. I didn't know there were sd guys on here! I'm a bit south from you, about 30 miles :). Hope all turns out well man.

Glad you're ok as we'll. Just my observation but I don't pull that move because people are usually looking left while stopped waiting for a gap in traffic to make that right turn. I usually go in between the lanes and make the right turn there in front of the first car, I feel it's safer there. I didn't know there were sd guys on here! I'm a bit south from you, about 30 miles :). Hope all turns out well man.

Yeah, lesson learned I guess. I was in Pacific Beach when it happened.

So, I got a call back from the Lady's Insurance and they are going to claim 75% of the responsibility on the bike since technically we were both in a "parking" lane, solid white line, not a broken lane.

I am just going to take that and run with it and get my repairs done. She is also throwing in some cash for pain and suffering that I can toss on top of that if needed for getting the bike fixed.

The shop is closed today, so tomorrow they will get the final quote to me and then to the insurance. I am actually kinda interested to see the work from this shop and his prices. I read some really good reviews on the place, and it is near my clients office, so I could start using them for work when needed and just drop it off. They have been around for a long time and seem to specialize in older bikes.

kontikimotorcycles.com

So, the Repairs came back at $3800.00

Esurance has decided to total out the bike, so I will be looking at buying a new bike. I think I am going to stick with another Gen 1 FZ1. As much as I would like a bike that can also off-road some, I think it would suffer for my daily commute on the freeway.

I think I will get to keep the bike because they are only offering me 75% value because they blamed me for 75% of the accident even though my insurance put me at 0% fault.

If they put me at 0% fault I think they would want the bike back.

So now I need to decide what is a better deal, taking the 75% payout and then parting out the good parts off my bike, or fighting them for more value back from them.

The major bummer is the Insurance found that the bike had been totaled out in minnesota a long time ago, and one of the previous owners had the bike repaired to the point where the salvage title was "washed" and shows as a clean title when I transferred ownership 2 years ago at purchase. So instead of just doing a value to me for related year and mileage they are doing a second calculation for what its value is as a salvage bike. Basically I think Esurance is going to use this information *which I had no idea about until today) to screw me out of the true value of what is owed to me.

I guess I should have done a car fax on the bike before I bought it? It certainly would of given me a good reason to pay much less than I did for the bike. I did not know a vehicle could get a salvage "washed" off the title, seems pretty cheap to me.

I will finally be picking up the bike on Friday since the shop is closed on the 4th.

This whole thing is starting to irk me.

Shouldn't your insurance be dealing with her insurance? Why are they coming to you for information? Seems a little shady.

If you weren't at fault according to official records, then you shouldn't be blamed.

Did they offer any proof of the "washed" title? I've never heard of that. Might be worth calling Minnesota DMV to find out if that's real.

Shouldn't your insurance be dealing with her insurance? Why are they coming to you for information? Seems a little shady.

If you weren't at fault according to official records, then you shouldn't be blamed.

Did they offer any proof of the "washed" title? I've never heard of that. Might be worth calling Minnesota DMV to find out if that's real.

It does sound shady doesn't it.
First rule of having an accident is to never admit guilt.
Personally I wouldn't have spoken to them as they are always looking for ways for you to incriminate yourself which it sounds like you did.

Sent from my GT-I9300

It took me a solid 6 months of literally fighting on the phone every other day before they just got tired of me yelling and screaming to finally get paid what I felt was right. My problem was due to crappy police work in making a report, and the fact that I was unconscious for the whole episode and woke up in the hospital over an hour later. I wound up doing all the fact taking and investigation myself and proved that I wasn't at fault. I never want to go through that again. It was very stressful and draining. In the end they repaired my whole bike and paid the hospital and ambulance bills. The other guy's insurance that is. My insurance denied all claims by the other guy and didn't pay him a cent, but on the same token, didn't help me one bit either. I had to go it alone, so I did what I had to do to get paid. The agent in charge of his case absolutely dreaded hearing my voice on the phone.

Honestly, the insurance companies job is to screw people out of money. Have your insurance deal with them and handle all the negotiations. You shouldn't even hear about any offer unless its from a rep from your insurnace company. If you don't feel this is fair, let them know that you intend on lawyering up. You got hit here... so they owe you money not the other way around.. good luck on the new bike

My insurance denied all claims by the other guy and didn't pay him a cent, but on the same token, didn't help me one bit either. I had to go it alone, so I did what I had to do to get paid.

This is exactly what I am dealing with.

I don't think my insurance is going to bat for me because I only have Liability on the bike, not Comprehensive, so they have no stake in getting it fixed.

I will update as I know more.

you aregoing to have to sue her directly. which will be tough without a police report showing fault.

Forget that trash, Small Claims Court is a joke. I will see what I can get Esurance to do in a negotiation, and if not I will just take what I can get and move on with my life. Some things are not worth fighting for.

Even at 75% value, and getting the bike back on top of that I can part out most of it I would think and use my cash to get into another bike.

This is exactly what I am dealing with.

I don't think my insurance is going to bat for me because I only have Liability on the bike, not Comprehensive, so they have no stake in getting it fixed.

I will update as I know more.

Ok, now I understand.
I thought you had comprehensive insurance .
Good luck with it all.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Update:
The Insurance guy was able confirm that what they originally thought was a Salvage in Montana (not Minnesota), was just a major repair, so they are honoring the clean title I have in hand.

So that is good, one less battle for me. Now I just need to fight them on the 75/25% liability thing.

The bike came home with me on Friday, and they are offering me $500 salvage buy back from Co-Part if I want to just dump it, but if I do not keep it to fix up and ride again, I think I could easily part it out for $500, so it wont be going to co-part.

Good job on fighting those bastards the only time insurance companys make things easy is when they are taking your money! You would think that even though you only had liability your insurance would try and help you out with explaining your rights and the local laws but NOOO

Only having liability coverage means that you are self-insuring for any physical loss of the bike be it in a collision or comprehensive loss like theft or vandalism.

I understand that insurance is costly, I was surprised to find out how much more a sport bike is than a touring bike but as I see it the extra $50 a year is worth it. I carry liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured & underinsured motorist and medical on my policy.

Even then it may take some effort to get the insurance company to pay up on time.

Back