Got hit by a car

Well, it was bound to happen. I was finally hit by a car while on my FZ yesterday.

I was approaching a red light and a line of cars that were stopped. I wanted to turn right at the light so I slowed down and then moved into the "lane" on the right to go past the cars, queue up to the front and turn right.

The first car I passed did not have a blinker or, nor was it moving in the direction like it also wanted to do the same thing. If it had the blinker on or had been moving i that direction I would have waited.

As I am passing her, probably going 10mph or less, she abruptly changes lanes and the front of her car hits my left leg and pushes me and the bike right into the curb. I had no time to turn, slow or react in any way.

When the bike hit the curb I fell off to the right side and lucky for me landed in a patch of dirt between the Curb and the sidewalk.

My bike suffered a cracked radiator and some cracked plastics here and there.

I suffered a Scrap on my left knee where I must have hit the tank/frame/handle bars while falling across the bike. My right hip/leg is a little sore, and this morning my right ankle and left arm were a little sore. Nothing bad. I have hurt myself way worse when crashing on my Mountain bike. Having heavy Duty Boots, a armored jacket, helmet, gloves and jeans on gave me way more protection that some nubs I see riding around in shorts and t-shirts.

I still went to the Urgent Care because of my Aortic Dissection I suffered from last year to make sure, and my doctor is having me go in for a CT scan this afternoon to make sure nothing happened on my insides since I am a bit more fragile in there.

I think I am fine, but will go in and get this done anyway. Also, when the PA who was seeing me at the Urgent Care told my doctor that I was riding a motorcycle I guess my doctor was not too pleased I had failed to tell her I was riding a bike...... She will probably give me an ear full when I see her again, but I am just not prepared to give up riding. I save too much time and money by commuting on a bike, about 4-6 hours a week is saved over being in the car. That to me is huge.

Sorry for the wall of text, here are some pics:

20130613_131410_zps0c6a69ab.jpg

20130613_131349_zps5cbfd481.jpg

20130613_131321_zps3482576e.jpg

And here is her car from where she hit me:

20130613_131333_zps5ab84b88.jpg

I should have grabbed more pics and info, but I was kinda in a daze, and for some reason she was in a hurry to leave. I think she was on her way to work or something.

The insurance companies are all notified. I was able to ride my bike to a shop just down the road from there. The coolant leak was pretty slow so I was able to get it there without overheating or anything.

Mostly irritated that I will have to be driving my car until the bike gets fixed, and nervous that they will want to total my bike since it is technically a higher mileage bike, 32k. But for now I will just wait and not worry too much until I get some official words from the Insurance Companies.

Stay safe out there.

Glad to see that it was so minor, and I hope all your tests come back clear. It is dangerous out there, and that is just one example of how people who are driving cars don't seem to be paying much attention. Again, glad you are mostly okay. It doesn't look like you need too much, so hopefully it won't be totalled.

Glad to hear that you're ok. That was a situation that I'm not sure you could have gotten yourself out of since you had the curb to your right.

As long as the bike doesn't have any frame damage I doubt they will total it as it mainly looks to be cosmetic, but you never know.

Glad you're ok. It can happen so fast and it sounds like you had done everything you possibly could. Motorcycles can be replaced, human bodies not so much. Glad you are in relatively good shape

glad to hear your ok. coming from a heavy dirt background, you wont find me riding without the proper gear. it has saved me more times than i can count.

glad to hear your ok. coming from a heavy dirt background, you wont find me riding without the proper gear. it has saved me more times than i can count.

yeah, I never ride without gear, ever. I started on Dirt Bike, and have been mountain biking for years. I pad up when I go to do bigger downhill style runs on my mountain bike cause I know I will fall when doing that.

The only reason the guy ate the shop said they would total it is because the motor has a scuff on it where it must of hit the curb. The guy at the shop said some insurance companies and adjusters will look at that and say the motor has to be replaced and then total it out. He is going to put on his own estimate a light filing of the spot to smooth it out and hope they agree.

you let the lady leave? always wait for the cops. i hope this doesn't turn out bad for you. glad you're "ok" for the most part, scrapes and bruises are no big deal luckily. maybe they total it, buy it back cheap, have a chunk of change leftover :)

you let the lady leave? always wait for the cops. i hope this doesn't turn out bad for you. glad you're "ok" for the most part, scrapes and bruises are no big deal luckily. maybe they total it, buy it back cheap, have a chunk of change leftover :)

Since there were no injuries the cops wont come. I don't know about other parts of the nation, but in SoCal the police don't bother unless it is an injury accident. If you call them and they come most likely they will ask you to work with your insurance to get it done.

"Well, it was bound to happen. I was finally hit by a car while on my FZ yesterday."

Sorry to hear about your accident but your opening statement is false; we are not bound to be hit by a car. It does come down to being aware of your situation and always leaving an out. Anyway, at least it was a slow speed crash and it doesn't appear that you have suffered any real injuries. Good luck in getting your bike and yourself back to health. I'd also rethink the commuting angle, no matter how you slice it the more cages we are surrounded by the more chance there is for a collision. Saving time and money is great but you have to balance that off with overall safety, perhaps you are at that tipping point when using a car makes more overall sense.

Last edited:
Bunch of damage and hurt from such a low speed encounter - but thankfully it was low speed.
The health stuff - aortic dissection sounds a little scary, though.

I am glad to hear you are ok. The problem with an accident involving a motorcycle is that almost always, the motorcycle or the rider loses in some way, even if you did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Since there were no injuries the cops wont come. I don't know about other parts of the nation, but in SoCal the police don't bother unless it is an injury accident. If you call them and they come most likely they will ask you to work with your insurance to get it done.

Same around here in most cities. However, in a small town where the cops don't have much to do they may show up...

Back