Got hit by a car

Only having liability coverage means that you are self-insuring for any physical loss of the bike be it in a collision or comprehensive loss like theft or vandalism.

I understand that insurance is costly, I was surprised to find out how much more a sport bike is than a touring bike but as I see it the extra $50 a year is worth it. I carry liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured & underinsured motorist and medical on my policy.

Even then it may take some effort to get the insurance company to pay up on time.

It was only $50.00 more a year to get Comprehensive? That is totally worth it if I could get mine at the same price.

I only carry Liability (250/500/100) for $66/yr and Comprehensive ($500 ded) for $38/yr. Hard to beat Progressive m/c rates.

I use progressive, but I think I am paying like $58.00 per month on my liability policy....

I think I have one ticket on my record right now. Do they take into account how long one has had a M1 when quoting rates? Perhaps I need to re-visit my insurance rates now that I have been riding a few years.

I use State Farm and my annual premium is $445 for all that coverage. It is $50 more than a touring bike like a Gold Wing.

As far as I know SF determines the rate by driving record, location and type of bike. (Also multi line discounts apply as I have home and auto with them).

Last edited:
I use progressive, but I think I am paying like $58.00 per month on my liability policy....

I think I have one ticket on my record right now. Do they take into account how long one has had a M1 when quoting rates? Perhaps I need to re-visit my insurance rates now that I have been riding a few years.

You might want to check around to see if Progressive has you in too high a category, you might also call them to discuss. I have homeowners, umbrella, car and m/c insurance with Progressive so I do get a break there but I've been with Progressive for years with m/c insurance and they have always been low. No tickets though so that helps. I don't think they look at how long you have a m/c endorsement on your license, but they do look at age.

Thanks for the tips, I will have to check with them.

I use Travelers for my homeowners and car insurance for my car and truck, but Travelers does not offer Moto insurance, so that is Why I am with progressive, so no multiple policy discount for me. Besides the one ticket, I am 35 years old, so my age should help me some.

but I will have to call.

Back