GoPro ... Which mounting locations work? Which don't?

So.. a lot of people on here have GoPro's or cameras of some sort... what mounting locations have worked well for you? Which ones don't?

I found a mounting location that din't work well today... on the back of the right side of the swingarm... didn't work very well.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ZQrNW4UKY&hd=1]YouTube - ‪This angle doesn't work....‬‏[/ame]

Yea, I see that the boot was blocking the road, but hey at least it's a good way to show the knee puck meeting the asphalt :D

By the way I have filmed with it on my helmet (Billy's camera, as I don't own one) and it wasn't all that great either.

Right now... I'm thinking the only angle I might like would be from the back of the bike, mounted as far back on the tail as I can get it...

I never did like the helmet mounting... just an odd angle...

I think I'll keep the mount on the swingarm for a little while... it'd be decent for filming someone behind me...

I was thinking about doing that Johnny... using the suction cup mount on the tank... I don't really have a windscreen(it's cut off even with the fairing), so I could shoot over it... but... I'm not sure how that would look...

I currently have my "fab guy" near work fabbing up a custom mount for the GoPro that I designed. I'm waiting patiently for the prototype to take it for a test session. If all goes good I will have an awesome new angle to show everyone. If it doesn't work then it's back to the drawing board, but I have a good feeling.

I've found that either pointing backwards with the mount fitted under the tail section is a pretty good view.

I also tried mounting mine on the front mudguard pointing forwards but found that when the forks compressed the horn hit the top of the camera :eek5:

I'll try to dig out some of my clips to show the rear view.

I was thinking about doing that Johnny... using the suction cup mount on the tank... I don't really have a windscreen(it's cut off even with the fairing), so I could shoot over it... but... I'm not sure how that would look...

here's a screen grab from it mounted to the tank with the suction cup.

i like it because i can put it on and off without leaving behind a more permanent mount.

so... I tried out the swingarm mounting location again when a friend was here from CA... putting the camera on Mode 5 to get a less wide angle, this mounting location works pretty well for a follow camera..

The person following me was very unfamiliar with the road... so.. this isn't the most exciting video... but a good example of using the swingarm location to shoot rearward.... it was a choice of either having a video of nothing but the road behind me... or slowing it down 70% and having someone behind me.... I'll have to try this angle again with someone that knows the road a bit better....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDHfV47-_9w&hd=1]YouTube - ‪Cullen North Side‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:
Be daring.

IMG_5823HelCam.jpg
[/IMG]

Good to 180 KMH if your neck is.

IMG_59721600x1200.jpg
[/IMG]

FZ1

P1020845.jpg
[/IMG]

1250 2008 Bandit

P1020843.jpg
[/IMG]

I love rear facing footage especially with the new 170 Degree GoPro, The Hel Cam up front is fantastic but must be connected to a Video Recorder in the tank bag which cost me $2700 and no better than the GoPro and much harder to edit.

All up I use 6 GoPros mounted on the swing arm, front fender and constantly trying other locations with varying degrees of sucess and faliure, all footage is great but the major problem is the time taken to edit the footage.

Oh to have a younger mind.

I tried the front and rear deal last week with the GoPro HD up front and the Hero Wide out back. Woftamer gave me a heads-up as to which editing software was the easiest and she was right, the Corel Video Studio is very simple and makes the Picture in Picture a breeze to do. The hardest part is syncing up the two vids so that they flow in union with each other. I have a mount that I designed that is still with my welder friend that he hasn't finished yet. If it works it should give a whole new look to the videos. I hope to have it soon. I really need to buy a welder so as not to rely on others.

Thanks for the info about the editing software as I can't seem to get my head around Premiere Pro, too many years of editing still images I seem to have drawn a blank with video.

I also no longer use the GoPro mounted to the top of the screens as at anything even nearing 60 MPH both screens vibrate much more than I like, I now mount then under the screens on the fairing.

Next problem is audio which I have left with my son who is an audio tech, waaaay beyond my shrinking brain.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info about the editing software as I can't seem to get my head around Premiere Pro, too many years of editing still images I seem to have drawn a blank with video.

I also no longer use the GoPro mounted to the top of the screens as at anything even nearing 60 MPH both screens vibrate much more than I like, I now mount then under the screens on the fairing.

Next problem is audio which I have left with my son who is an audio tech, waaaay beyond my shrinking brain.

Thanks again.

Ouch! Don't even mention Premiere Pro! You need an engineering degree to operate that program! I have it and am totally lost when it comes to using it. I have gotten some pointers from YouTube but the Corel program is so much more my speed.

This is the video from a week or two ago that was edited with the Corel. I'll have to give the one Aaron mentioned a look. Thanks.

This was so easy with the Corel program and was impressed at the outcome considering it was my first shot at it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYFLGI_WsXk&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Up From The Circle‬‏[/ame]

I used to use Power Director with the Hel Cam tapes but in all honesty I never got it to work well for me.

A friend just called me after reading this and suggested I put up a notice in the IT section of a nearby University and offer to pay some younger brighter tech heads to do it for me, I quite like the sound of that and will report on its sucess or failure.

Dementia is a real pain, I have just lost my coffee.

Back