Good first motorcycle for girlfriend?

Area57

What did you ladies start riding? I am new myself, girlfriend wants a bike, I was thinking a ninja 250 or 500. She does want to look cool. What did you all start out on and what do you think would be best?

Anyone new at motorcycle riding should checkout the Yamaha R3 it's a very nice looking motorcycle and it is not very heavy. It has a fuel gauge with a gear indicator which is very nice for someone that is new to riding. It's geared towards beginners.
DSC02374.jpg

The small bike market is really picking up here in North America (finally), you're not hurting for choice.

How tall is she, what style of bike is she interested in and what's the budget?

For new bikes, check out the following:
Yamaha R3
Yamaha SR400
Honda 300 and 500 series
Kawasaki Ninja 300
Suzuki TU250X
KTM RC390 and 390 Duke

There's a lot of choice in used bikes as well

5'5". More sporty. She is saying right now she isn't super picky and hasn't set her mind on what her style is. She would like something to learn on that makes riding fun and then get the chance to try lots of bikes and see which she likes best. The budget is less than $3000 unless it is a good second bike for me that I would like to ride around a lot as well, then I would spend more.

You can't go wrong with a Ninja 250 for a low budget beginner. Tough, capable, reliable and easy to learn on. Plus, there's thousands of them out there.

[video=youtube;Kz03sQeX02c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c[/video]

I'm 5'3" and my first bike was the Yamaha FZ6. Great bike to learn on, least I thought so.
I did have to have the pre-load dinked with and the seat shaved down, but at 5' 5", she most likely won't have any issues.
If you take a peek at our sister site: FZ6 Forum Community or the FZ6R site FZ6R Forum Community
you might be able to pick one up there :)

Good Luck!

She's fortunate to be 5'5" so there's a good range of sport bikes she can look at. Used is a good way to go if she doesn't have any riding experience.

On the subject of riding experience, has she thought about taking the MSF course first?

They don't have MSF in my state that much. Because last year they made it mandatory to get your license, but only authorized one company to do it, there is months long wait list. I like the ninja 250 idea, I will probably do that. I'll take a deeper look at the z6's but that might be too powerful. I don't know that much about it. I know I wouldn't want her to start out on my fz1. She isn't as aggressive or daring as I am. Not that I'm mr. big shot, and not that she's a puss, but I think she needs something pretty decently easy to not be scared.

I will just say that while the Ninja 250 is a good beginner's bike you outgrow it too quickly. IMHO you're better off starting with something a little bigger that you get a couple of years out of it. I've personally ridden the Yamaha R3 and Honda CB500R (and CB500F) and either is a bike that you'll stick with for a few years, yet good for a beginner.

Ninja 250 or the newer 300, Yamaha R3, or the FZ6R. Any of them are good. Important thing is to try and test drive them to see what one she likes.

I wil have to look into the R3, it really is that much more powerful than the Ninja 250? I have heard the complaint that a lot of people grow out of the ninja quickly.

The R3 is by far and away a superior bike to the old Ninja 250. Bigger brakes, bigger forks, better suspension, better chassis, lighter, almost 30% more power/torque. By all accounts, it's a great bike. The Ninja 250 is an old bike and went fundamentally unchanged for almost 30 years.

As you can see from this thread, you've got a ton of choice for her. Has she ever ridden a bike before? Do you know if she'll enjoy it? It may be advisable to get her through the MSF course first before actually buying the bike & gear

Last edited:
I would personally find a mid-size bike to learn on. Having a some fear/nervousness of a bike is good because it makes you respect it. I did that when I bought a Ducati Monster 620 as my first bike.
With that being said, a SV650 (naked or sport), ninja 650 or zzr600, used Ducati Monster 600/620, yamaha FZ6R, and the Honda cbr500 range would be bikes that I'd be looking at. You could also look at the mid-size cruisers as those bikes generally have a low seat height. It is all what she likes and how it feels to her. Hope this helps.

Don't Presume

As an old married guy with daughters, don't make the mistake of "thinking that you know best" for her. Let her show you what bikes she likes, then help narrow it down based on the good suggestions that have been given in previous posts. Any bike is going to start out exiciting, but one that she picked because she likes the look and feel, color, etc. will stay interesting a lot longer. Expose her to a variety of styles makes and brands and take the time to figure out what turns her on.

An example; despite my youngest daughters exposure to KTM, Yamaha (my 990 Adventure and FZ-1 and FZ600 as well as a KLR 650), when she last went to a multi-brand dealer with me her picks were a Suzuki Gladius, a Kawi' Ninja 650, and a yellow FZ-9 (in that order). I tried to steer her toward a KTM RC-390 but it didn't turn her crank. She liked all the "Ninjas".

If a machine doesn't "grab you"there is no point having it, as it will just get traded away and cost you more in the end.

Great advice from Oldschool. Visit your local multi-line dealership and have her throw a leg over anything and everything that draws her in. :)

Hi been reading your post as you see your choses are many my question is has she rode a bike first off ! 2nd don't go too small she will out grow it in a year and want more. there are many mid leave bike and each vary in power and speed. My thought would be maybe the fz6r (I'm a big Yamaha lover) also owned one you can get lowering kit very smooth threw the RPM and by no means a DOG great get up and go as you advance in your skills but as you learn to ride bike is very forgiving on the torque and big enough to run on the highway without getting run over. PS we also have a sister site of the best people to chat with

Owned a FZ6 and I don't consider it a beginner's bike. FZ6 is a pretty hot bike, meaning it can catch and pass a corvette. My FZ6 clutch was sensitive. A new rider can get themselves into trouble on a FZ6 IMHO although the FZ6 is an easy bike to ride. I would go more for a Yamaha R3 or a Star 250. A star 250 be cheaper than the R3. Plenty of used 250's for around $2k.

If your girl has never ridden a motorcycle it might behoove you to start her out on an ATV quad runner. She'll be able to work out the throttle-clutch relationship without having to deal with bike balance.

Good luck and Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
I steer all new riders to a used naked SV650.

1. There are lots of them available
2. New riders are likely to drop the bike. The naked SV650 will have much less stuff to break and repair.
3. The bike has user friendly power and enough to not get bored.
4. You can usually get most if not all your money back when or if you sell it.
5. It's a UJM that can do it all.

There will be plenty of time to pick out the next bike.

Back