GIpro X-type gear indicator custom install....

Nice work!! Now hopefully my brit friend thinks this is pretty straight forward or some of you might get PM's about getting a dash and equipment sent to you along with Beer money to be used AFTER said project is done!! :cheers::yes:

Nice job! How about a photo of the assembled finished product and maybe a little video of it? :D

Why did you opt to cut out the facia rather then dissolve the paint to leave a windowed spot?

Thanks for the great writeup and awesome photos. :tup:

I was going to mention the beer thing. Thats why It took two afternoons and a Saturday. As soon as I cracked a beer I stopped working and just pondered.

Gotta work on the vid with a friend too hard to juggle everything. The aftermarket facia is a different material thinner and flexier and laminated in plastic.

I would love to do this to mine. I keep trying to shift to 7th. lol Im still new to the bike. WHat is a ballpark figure on cost to do this?

Nice job! How about a photo of the assembled finished product and maybe a little video of it? :D

Why did you opt to cut out the facia rather then dissolve the paint to leave a windowed spot?

Thanks for the great writeup and awesome photos. :tup:
Thanks for the input. Done some editing, I will post on the OEM Facia after I have go this week. And I will post a decent Vid soon.

Forgot to ask you Blanchy how much was it since they had to "custom" make it for you? I think here in the US their standard kit retails for something like $130 USD.

OEM Facia

Started trying to clear the section on the OEM today. No success. Used Nail polish remover containing Acetone-No result at all. Tried a non acetone one and no result. Will get some pure acetone tomorrow but not too sure its going to work.

Started trying to clear the section on the OEM today. No success. Used Nail polish remover containing Acetone-No result at all. Tried a non acetone one and no result. Will get some pure acetone tomorrow but not too sure its going to work.

He made it look very easy in that video, but it was on an FZ6. Although I can't imagine that Yamaha used a different type of paint of the FZ6 cover than they did on the FZ1, but I suppose anything is possible if it was sourced out to a different vendor.

Keep us posted...

Got some Pure acetone. Still no result on the front face. Tried it on the back and it did start working but also seemed to attack the plastic. Still stuck as the front side will need clearing???

Got some Pure acetone. Still no result on the front face. Tried it on the back and it did start working but also seemed to attack the plastic. Still stuck as the front side will need clearing???

Thanks for the update. I guess things aren't always as easy as a YouTube video makes them seem. Your solution of cutting out a piece of the face plate to allow the gear indicator to show through works too, just not as "clean".

Still not beat yet but as a last reort I might do a cut out on the OEM. It's a lot more rigid and could be drilled on the corners, cut, filed to shape and the edge finished in matt black. Still thinking about a non reflective piece of plastic glued to the back side.

Still not beat yet but as a last reort I might do a cut out on the OEM. It's a lot more rigid and could be drilled on the corners, cut, filed to shape and the edge finished in matt black. Still thinking about a non reflective piece of plastic glued to the back side.

Well I think if you end up having to cut out the stock plate as well it will be fine. Since both pieces will be black they'll just blend right in to each other. And that's a good idea about painting the edges in black to help it blend in even better.

Tried acrylic paint thinners and still no result on the front face. They must have changed to powdercoat? Out of ideas so going the cut out plan now. Also the plastic seems to be a pearl color not clear so even if the black came off the display would not show through in sunlight. Mine is an 09 Mod.

How I did Mine Mk11

There were a few things I was not happy about with the install'
1. The surface of the display is glossy and reflects in sunlight.
2. My cutout of the aftermarket fascia was amateurish.
3. The routing of the wiring could have been better.

So I went ahead and re did it like this.

Found out from Healtech that the wiring between the control unit and mini remote are color coded. Went ahead and cut the wires about 1/2 way along

007-3.jpg

I located the right spot and drilled a hole in the rear case about 8.8mm to suit the grommets I bought.

010-2.jpg

Routed the wiring thru, put shrink tube on and crimped on the terminals I bought from Eastern Beaver there are 8 wires but I could only find a 10 pin socket.

008-3.jpg

013-2.jpg

017-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

I bought some matt tape and placed it over the surface of the display, I used this stuff

015-1.jpg

As posted previously, my OEM fascia could not be cleared. Its made of opaque plastic and the front face must be powder coated so I did this.
I got my template out and marked with a pencil the corners

001-1.jpg

I lightly centre punched them and then drilled them with a small drill for a radius

002-2.jpg

I then cut well inside the marks with a dremmel

003-2.jpg

Then using modeling files (just very small ones) I carefully worked it till happy

005-2.jpg

Once happy, I panted the cut edge with some matt black paint. reassembled everything and this is the result

024-1.jpg

This last ones a video

Last edited:
Back