Generator / altinator problems

Thank you, Dustin. It's easing up the conditions)
Luckily, the local shop guy recognized that it was his bike for a while, electric system besides the rotor was restored - new stator, regulator etc. So he suspects that rotor went demagnetized or so because of the high mileage.
I will describe simptoms a little bit further just to everybody know what's really happening.
First of all, there is a scraping sound in the generator cover area when cold starting, like something goes into cylinder and rotates there. Frightening.
Than, with the battery charged it's firing up. All four is working. After 6 miles and one short stop in between it's suddenly shuts off 1st and 4th cylinders (I suspect that the ignition coil responsible for that is went bad as well). Than the bike dies, battery is discharged. With the jumpstart from Powerall it could have been fired up, this 2 cylinders can came up to work suddenly after revving at 4-5000rpm. But not all the time. Just to say - I've cleaned contacts on the both coils with 320 sandpaper and WD-40, as well greased up all of the connectors.
This particular issue happened to me on the highway(thank god it was morning) in the left lane. The bike went on 2 cylinders and shutted down at 5100rpm at 75mph. I thought I'm screwed, cause home was in 50miles away. But, luckily, it's started up with the jumper after 20-30min, I've made 10miles and again the same. Cleaned the coil connectors with sandpaper, waited for 30min. It's fired up. All four. I've made 35miles home suprisingly with no issues, sometimes climbing up to 100mph. And in half of the mile from home it's happened again, but I've made it anyway.
Second of all. Speaking about revs - somehow it could stick up to 3 or 2000rpm straight during the stop in the traffic with clutch engaged. Once I'm disengaging the cluth - revs are falling down to a normal 1100rpm. That's something wrong for sure. But I have no idea what it is. I've put the 9oz B-12 cleaner in the tank 2 times when refueled in order to clean the injection. No change. Revs could fall down when tuning the idle regulator on the carbs as well, but it creates a problem with idling of course.
The mechanic guy at local shop told me after hearing the bike that carbs that they don't need to be rebuilt. (But maybe they need to be syncronized? Last sync was at 58k in 2008(!) btw)
And one more little significant thing - sometimes after neutral, the first gear could be engaged badly with cracking noise. Also scary.
That the issues with my beloved Fazer. Thank you, guys.

Last edited:
Back