Generator / altinator problems

Delta

Ok guys just out of curiosity how many of you or how many fz1's do you know of that have had the magnets come off the rotor in the generator?
Mine destroyed itself and sent magnet fragments into the engine.
Apparently there isn't a recall for this common problem wich I think stinks...!
So far it's cost me over £700 to fix it I'm not happy either.
Having to take the sump off and snapping 4 exhaust studs too (now fixed)
So is this a common problem that yamaha fails to sort as a recall?
Early R1's suffer too

as for on a FZ1 never heard of one happening. and i am on a number of web sites. (just new here).

but have heard of it happening before. not just motorcycles. it has been a very long time back last time it ever came up.

but a very very rare condition. freek accident if you will. how many miles on your bike? new bike? might get it replace under warranty..with a liers...er...a....i mean lawyers help.

over say 20K miles, two years time forget it. as time for a new motor...at your cost.

sorry i do not know metric conversions. but miles / km / hrs on motor / rpm's / time. really only a brand new motor could go under a factory warranty for a defective parts failure.

I read about this problem but it seems to be sporadic. My 2006 has 55k miles and no problems beside the usual 36k steering head bearing and one coil at about 35k. There were some issues that come up from time to time like frame cracks in 06/07 bikes (low percentage) some complain about valve problems (also low percentage) and than the alternator issue you mentioned (just heard of very few cases on forums).

I did always the my valve checks myself and always had to adjust some exhaust valves but never an intake valve and never more than one step (0.05 mm). My frame is not cracked despite lots of touring and some hundred miles on gravel. I know of several other 06 Fz1 that behave like mine without any of the aforementioned serious problems and only read about them in forums (where people from all over the world report their problems but most riders that have no problems do not go).

I think the steering head bearing has a lifetime of 30-40k miles which is ok and the some coils can go at 30-40k too. However 3 of my coils are still working great after 55k so they are not that bad.

Personally I would contact Yamaha and ask them to make it right in a very polite way. The alternator is nothing that should blow and the defect can not be related to excessive use or damaged by user faults (expect you took it out). I think they should replace it so the bike is very old already and as usual these cheap old bikes with low miles are out of warranty yet might have manufacturer deficits that have not yet surfaced. Best of luck for getting it sorted out.

that is very low millage, (bought mine used and so far i am logging 15K+ miles a year). ask at the dealer..maybe something can be done. age is not your friend here.
i have a 2004 53K miles. everything works great. but i am building up the parts for major maintenance. (wheel bearings and such).
going to even drop the swing arm and replace those bearings. good or not. and maybe i should check the valves. ;-)

i tend to drop more coin on a bike/cage/truck/etc in maintenance, than others dump into broken bikes/cages/trucks,etc..
but i know i can just turn it on and go anywhere with no worry.

post up what happens please.

good luck.

Take a look here: Fazer Hellas Club
This problem is well known here, personally i have changed the rotor twice. The first time i installed a used one so maybe thats why it happened and a second time.

I just read the link you posted.
It says that a new part was made by Yamaha in 2014 however the Fazer Hellas Club is asking for a recall of all 2006-2008 bikes only.
I'm a little confused, was the problem also fixed for 09+ models?

I just read the link you posted.
It says that a new part was made by Yamaha in 2014 however the Fazer Hellas Club is asking for a recall of all 2006-2008 bikes only.
I'm a little confused, was the problem also fixed for 09+ models?

No, we are asking for a recall of all FZ1s since 2006.
1. The immediate recall of all models (Fz1 2006+, Fz8, R1 2004 – 2008)...
The first responce from the official distributor was negative and i think we are going to escalate to the next level (courts...)
Every bike owner here knows about this certain problem regarding the models mentioned in the link...

Last edited:
Ok the update so far.. Yamaha said I have to go through a yamaha dealer and they will give me the rotor and stator at a reduced cost as a gesture of good will...
The rotor = £250+ vat the stator =£110+ vat.
This does not include anything else like bearings or gaskets or labour.
Then you have possible problems like I did = the exhaust studs breaking =4
You have to drop the headers to get to sump off to clean any magnet fragments out.
I got 3 of the 4 broken studs out 1 broke flush with the head.
The yamaha dealer charged me to drill and tap the 1 broken stud but the tapped hole they did was baggy as feck. I've told them that it now needs a time-sert putting in and not a helicoil..!
The whole thing has been grief for me.
I've replaced the studs with stainless steel ones now, and I'm buying some Arrow headers very soon.
I think yamaha should of done it all as a recall they know only too well about this generator failure and the potential cost involved.

Cheers guys

Delta.

That's bad sorry for you. It seems that the problem is still to rare to make a recall, seems to be cheaper for them to wait it out. I really think they should have stepped up and paid for the full repair even if they label it as a gesture of good will.

It's not good is it? I've tried to cut the cost by doing it myself other than getting the broken stud done at the shop. It broke flush the others I got out with a good stud extractor. The problem I now have is getting the shop to correct the badly drilled out stud they did at £65+ vat. It needs a timesert now. I'm waiting to get the bike back. Fed up as I'm not out there surfing the tarmac..

hi guys i have too problem with alternator. my mechanic asking 500 euro for the rotor only. we can find anywhere else cheaper? but i don't want to put the old one again, i don't want again the same problem. any help please

Your best bet is going through a proper Yamaha dealer and asking for help in getting Yamaha to do you a deal on the parts like many of us on this forum have done. Read back and you will see that I got a good deal. If not check ebay out I've seen them on there for reasonable prices. I'd say you want the rotor and stator and race bearings.
Just to add you want the modified rotor the one that has a shielding over the magnets. That is the modified or upgraded version Yamaha now sell. Also I'd change the ball race bearings at either end of the rotor shaft. They are fairly cheap and will give you peace of mind too.

Cheers
Delta.

Last edited:
Bad News

Hi, guys. I'm new here and just bought beautiful FZ1 2001 with 59k on it two weeks ago.
Unfortunately after inspection on electric system appeared that generator rotor went bad causing immediate shut down of the bike when cruisnig.
The shop told me that this part is about 393$. Which is really bad news for me cause I'm about to take a ride from Noew Orleans to Los Angeles.
Does anybody knows where to get this freaking rotor for cheaper price? Or is it worth to contacting Yamaha dealer?
Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your bad news!

So here is an online supplier for OEM parts:
2001 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) Generator | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

Rotor Assy
4XV-81450-00-00
$283.96

Stator Assy
5LV-81410-00-00
$206.58

You can try searching eBay with the part numbers to find good used items or better deals on the new ones

If you need just a stator, Rick's Motorsport offers lower cost alternatives
2001 Yamaha Street Bike FZ1 Street Bike*New OEM Style Yamaha Stator Aftermarket Parts

I'm not familiar with your particular issue but it seems like the rotor assembly is simply just a solid piece and the part that will break or fail is the stator assembly itself. This is certainly my experience with other bikes as I have seen a few stators fail. If that's the case, it should be an easy enough fix for you.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Back