generation breakdown?

I have been fortunate enough to afford a lot of new bikes in my lifetime and I have a few favorites, of which the FZ1 ranks way up there but I've had some used bikes that weren't fast or particularly snooth that I had a lot of fun on. As time goes on we change and bikes change. I wouldn't get too hung up on a certain bike or even style of bike. As long as you walk away feeling good and have a smile on your face, you just rode the right bike.

I have been fortunate enough to afford a lot of new bikes in my lifetime and I have a few favorites, of which the FZ1 ranks way up there but I've had some used bikes that weren't fast or particularly snooth that I had a lot of fun on. As time goes on we change and bikes change. I wouldn't get too hung up on a certain bike or even style of bike. As long as you walk away feeling good and have a smile on your face, you just rode the right bike.

In a way I agree with that. I started bike into riding with a 1998 Honda Magna and didn't realize it was a "sport cruiser". That bike rocks. At only 500 lbs. with a minimal amount of suspension changes, many sport bikes couldn't keep up with that bike. But as time went on, I realized I was riding it too hard and heading for trouble. So, when I first heard of the FZ1, my initial concern was the steel frame, but that soon dissipated with all the accolades I read in the rags.

Now, after riding this bike for years on the track and in the twisties, I am fully aware that to out handle this bike you better come prepared and that means -- not just another bike --- but also the balls to ride it.

The awesome thing about this bike is simple --- you can get a really fast and great handling bike for less than $4000. This is hard to duplicate in another bike. Sure --- there are modern enhancements that are hot on this bike but that doesn't take away from the bike -- will only hopefully add to it.

So, I can safely say that my 1998 Honda Magna has never been duplicated for the price and I don't believe the FZ1 will be either. :)

So, I would like to see comparisons based solely on what you get for the money. This is why I have always felt the FZ1 is miles above the rest. But, to be fair, the FZ1 needs suspension adjustments that can be costly depending on your need for speed.

$2800 for my Gen 1 last year--sure is a hell of a lot of horsepower per dollar. The FZ1 is definitely great value on the used market

OP - Gen 2's started in '06.

CJ - You're are wrong, the new Tuono is light years ahead of the FZ. 1) It is not a neutered bike. 2) Features: 167 hp, Brembro radial brakes, a real suspension - stock, traction control, ABS, slipper clutch, V4 torque, 403 lbs dry, 3 engine maps. This bike will rip the arms off of the FZ.

As far as a better rider on a the FZ, well of course. Is a used FZ for $4,000 a "better" deal, well of course.

Oh wait, you started street riding on a '98 Magma??? Good Lord, I've got more years on the street than you have, whatever. That and $5.00 will get me a cup of coffee....

I'm done with this thread.

Cheers!

OP - Gen 2's started in '06.

CJ - You're are wrong, the new Tuono is light years ahead of the FZ. 1) It is not a neutered bike. 2) Features: 167 hp, Brembro radial brakes, a real suspension - stock, traction control, ABS, slipper clutch, V4 torque, 403 lbs dry, 3 engine maps. This bike will rip the arms off of the FZ.
We'll see, :)
As far as a better rider on a the FZ, well of course. Is a used FZ for $4,000 a "better" deal, well of course.

Oh wait, you started street riding on a '98 Magma??? Good Lord, I've got more years on the street than you have, whatever. That and $5.00 will get me a cup of coffee....
I didn't start riding street again until 2001. I'm confident you have more years on the street than me.
I'm done with this thread.
Cheers!

I agree the Tuono is a sweet bike but it is a first year thing to me and that always scares me.

My 02 Gen 1 has been in my garage a few months now; gets looked at a lot more that ridden..lol..I like the appearance of the older style better than the newer Gen 2 bikes...also like seeing the carbs..can't get use to seeing a bike without carburetors....course I am a older guy....
My dealer assures me if I was to test drive one of the Gen 2 bikes I would note the difference in handling and speed..Claims the Gen 2 is a whole lot faster a bike than mine...But DANG, who needs a bike any faster that the one in my garage...I can barely hang on to this old bike...lol...I really think my dealer needs to ride my bike again and re-access his opinion...plus he is wanting me to trade.....that would be a big waste of money for me....I got a feeling the older guys and gals are happy with the Gen 1 style....

Oh man?! there was almost a real discussion here?

I totally missed out. I just thought the OP was a forum troll attempting to do the:

"I totally like the ___noun__ things this forum discusses, but I have no clue why the __noun___ are dived into __number___categories. Can someone please explain to me what the differences are between the __number____ categories? I'm not sure which is best for me."

This discussion is made more awesome if all forum topics were MAD-LIBS style. Of course you could get into some awkward moments if it was a support group for arson burn victims or some other tragedy support group.

Apparently you were the OP. You made more sense in your first post.

Besides, this post went astray because some of us think the FZ1 is a great bike --- others are just worried about post count.

wow. you sure did take that topic and run. First i thought it would be an international debate, then it turned into something else and on and on.. anyway

papaageorgio - you are quite a ways north of me, i'm just outside of milwaukee.

Also, while i still go back and forth a lot, i think i may end up with an FZ6 instead. I think it'll be enough of a jump from my 500 to last a good long time, while getting better gas mileage. It seems slightly more comfortable. (dont take that comment to war!). Anyway, thanks for all the information!

Also, while i still go back and forth a lot, i think i may end up with an FZ6 instead. I think it'll be enough of a jump from my 500 to last a good long time, while getting better gas mileage. It seems slightly more comfortable. (dont take that comment to war!). Anyway, thanks for all the information!

I did the research on the difference between the FZ6 and the Gen 1 FZ1 as far as economy and range was concerned and you might be surprised to find that (depending on your wrist), the FZ1 rivals the economy of the FZ6. The difference between the two is small enough that I wouldn't consider the '6 unless there was some large cost difference between 600cc and 1000cc (insurance rates, driver premiums, etc).

I did the research on the difference between the FZ6 and the Gen 1 FZ1 as far as economy and range was concerned and you might be surprised to find that (depending on your wrist), the FZ1 rivals the economy of the FZ6. The difference between the two is small enough that I wouldn't consider the '6 unless there was some large cost difference between 600cc and 1000cc (insurance rates, driver premiums, etc).

They are close if you don't ham-fist the Gen 1 FZ1. With an easy throttle on the FZ6, I used to get up to 54 mpg.

The FZ6R is detuned a lot as Etroze stated. But, it is more economical and is more linear in the throttle throughout the mid-range. My wife's 6R was very smooth and fun to ride but it lacked a lot in power delivery and seriously lacked in spare electrical to add items to the bike. The FZ6 (non-R) has even less available wattage for gear and toys. The FZ1 has more than enough wattage to plug in toys and heated gear. :tup:

Well Hankhill11 did you try Road Track and Trail thats where I got my fz1 from and thats in Big bend, milwaukee. They do have a web sight and I allmost bought a 2001 with full fairing and 2 bros but it had some road rash. I see theres this 1 still for sale and it can't be more than a 20 min drive for you

http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/ne...K2011J11I13I57JPMQ2767R0&veh=3173&pov=2082128
vp2082128_2a1_large.jpg

Ok after a little more looking at it its got allmost 29k MI on her and the seat looks to be weathered. If anything you can still take it for a test run. They let me, Ask for Adam hes 1 of the 3 I think sales guys and was willing to barter to make a sale that I was happy with.

Took home a 2008 with 1,300MI on the clock Leo pipes, pc3, some led blinks, Fe, and New tires fer $5,800 otd witch I understand is fair from the peeps on the forums

Last edited:
They are close if you don't ham-fist the Gen 1 FZ1. With an easy throttle on the FZ6, I used to get up to 54 mpg.

The FZ6R is detuned a lot as Etroze stated. But, it is more economical and is more linear in the throttle throughout the mid-range. My wife's 6R was very smooth and fun to ride but it lacked a lot in power delivery and seriously lacked in spare electrical to add items to the bike. The FZ6 (non-R) has even less available wattage for gear and toys. The FZ1 has more than enough wattage to plug in toys and heated gear. :tup:

Yeah I was in a hurry yesterday sorry about being so blunt. The FZ6R is a good bike. I road a friends around all day one day and going to that from a
FZ1 it just didn't have the grunt (obviously) and just didn't seem like it was as planted through highspeed corners like the FZ1 is. I was finding myself pushing it past its limits way before I would get that pucker feeling that the FZ1 gives me lol.

there are now 4 bike shops all in the same area as road track and trail! its very exciting. also one in brookfield that's a few minutes away. I'm also watching craigs list for deals to pop up. I know the bikes are around, i'm just taken it easy so i dont jump into it :) I'm still looking at what can be done, or what needs to be done to get a gen II to be more comfortable.

Back