generation breakdown?

hankhill11

generation breakdown?

Is there a breakdown of what has been changed on the FZ1 throughout the years?

how many generations are there ?

I have heard of gen I and II... and gen I being more comfortable. can the II be brought to that level? how different is the comfort level.

I've noticed the look changed either in 2006 or for the 2007 model year. I REALLY love the look of the newer. it really looks like a world class ride. very technical looking.

I'm not to interested in euro models, since i'll never get to look at them if they are different.

you get the idea.. I just keep waffling between all the used ones i've seen. i know they went fuel injected at one point... thanks for all the help. This is a great forum from what i've seen!

Last edited:
generation breakdown?

Is there a breakdown of what has been changed on the FZ1 throughout the years?

how many generations are there ?

I have heard of gen I and II... and gen I being more comfortable. can the II be brought to that level? how different is the comfort level.

I've noticed the look changed either in 2006 or for the 2007 model year. I REALLY love the look of the newer. it really looks like a world class ride. very technical looking.

I'm not to interested in euro models, since i'll never get to look at them if they are different.

you get the idea.. I just keep waffling between all the used ones i've seen. i know they went fuel injected at one point... thanks for all the help. This is a great forum from what i've seen!

It all depends on what you are looking for and what type of riding you plan to do. You can't go wrong with any FZ1.

What do you currently ride?

What is your current riding style / conditions?

Do you commute to work / school on a bike?

What are your current complaints with your current bike?

You don't know me and I don't know you (OP). So I feel it only fair to give you some background on myself so you can interpret my response. First of all I'm an idiot. Secondly I'm a complete slave to fashion. Whatever the latest iteration is of anything, I believe it's the best ever. According to that logic a picture of Bart Simpson is worth a lot more to me than the Mona Lisa and is what I would rather have displayed in my living room. If they make an iPod any smaller, like the size of an electron, that will be the one I'll buy, even if I can't see it without an electron microscope and have no chance of using it since once I actually find it and touch the controls it would dissolve into the wedges between my fingertips.

Understandably then, the Gen II is so much prettier than the Gen I to me. I also like fuel injection on the Gen II, over the carbs of Gen I. Fuel injection is smart, where I am dumb, so we're a perfect match. Carbs require some knowledge of how an engine actually works, and "some" knowledge is not a commodity I have much to spare. I need all I can get for brushing my teeth, remembering what toilet paper is for, and finding my way back home.

But if you're a thinking man or woman, unlike me, you might find that the Gen I is more comfortable and more true to the idea of a light sport touring bike. In that same vein it has a larger gas tank and gets better gas mileage and is easier for the shade tree mechanic to maintain. Thoughtful motorcycle authors have waxed romantic about the Gen I's resounding success of hitting a mark in its bullseye that they actually set out to achieve, unlike many other bikes. So you pays your nickel and you makes your choice. For me, newer is better. Simple minds work like that. For you, maybe a Gen I is in your future. I can tell you this. I have not known a Gen I owner to be very unhappy with their bike. For that matter I have not known a Gen II owner to be very unhappy with their bike. Yamaha is a heck of a motorcycle company. They have turned out strong reliable machines for generations. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, screw you, I couldn't care less cause I just bought the latest Toyota truck and I've been drooling over it for 24 hours.

Just kidding about the screw you by the way. Welcome to the best FZ1 forum in the world.

The last year for the Gen I was 2005 which means they rolled off the assembly line in Japan in mid- to late-2004, so the newest Gen I is getting on to 7 years old. This doesn't mean they are worn out but fewer and fewer low mileage units are in the field, and the technology in them is a bit long in the tooth. Even the Gen II is about due for a complete redo in order to compete with their rivals which are much newer and up to date. Both are very good machines but you have to be realistic as to what you are looking for. Just for long term reliability you would be better off with a Gen II only because they are newer. But do some research on this site, there is plenty of info available.

Where are you in WI, I might be close by if you want to take a look at a gen2. Lot of people like the seating on the gen 1 for comfort but the ride pos. isn't more than a couple degrees here and there pret. much the same.
Motorcycle Ergonomics to see what I mean.
Ive changed my seat on my gen 2 to be more comfy and still have my stock seat if you want to see what stocker bike would be like

I think you guys are on drugs. IMHO --- there is no comparison to the FZ1. The Triumph speed triple just went to a 1050 cc bike this year to finally attain the HP rating of a 2001 FZ1. The Z1000, Honda 919, nothing can touch the over agility, price, availability of aftermarket parts and knowledge of a FZ1. So the bottom line is simple --- if you buy any other naked bike --- you are making a mistake.

Any more questions. :)

I think you guys are on drugs. IMHO --- there is no comparison to the FZ1. The Triumph speed triple just went to a 1050 cc bike this year to finally attain the HP rating of a 2001 FZ1. The Z1000, Honda 919, nothing can touch the over agility, price, availability of aftermarket parts and knowledge of a FZ1. So the bottom line is simple --- if you buy any other naked bike --- you are making a mistake.

H'mmm ..... Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki ALL have newer and more modern machines which are superior in many regards to the FZ1, and this fact is NOT lost on Yamaha management in Japan. We are all Yamaha fans here but lets not be blind to the fact that the world has moved on from the original naked superbike derived concept of the Gen I FZ1. The FZ1 needs a serious redo, any model in it's sixth year of production is no longer at the top of it's game. I love my FZ1 but there is serious competition out there for this segment, and market sales tell the truth.

Last edited:
on the track........I go more for the smile factor, 30 year old tech ninja 500, and it was a blast. Why oh why did it have to go. I love my wife-- I love my wife--I love my wife, ok im better now

Last edited:
H'mmm ..... Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki ALL have newer and more modern machines which are superior in many regards to the FZ1, and this fact is NOT lost on Yamaha management in Japan. We are all Yamaha fans here but lets not be blind to the fact that the world has moved on from the original naked superbike derived concept of the Gen I FZ1. The FZ1 needs a serious redo, any model in it's sixth year of production is no longer at the top of it's game. I love my FZ1 but there is serious competition out there for this segment, and market sales tell the truth.

You need to read up on some specs. All those bikes are playing catch up to the FZ1 and haven't gotten there yet. I'm not sure you know what is lost on Yamaha's management.

Sure -- there are some things that might improve the bike but for the money -- NOTHING BEATS AN FZ1. PERIOD.

Norm said it all! :tup: How can anyone argue with THAT?!?!? :D

Gen I and Gen II... 2001-2005 is the carb Gen I, 2006 to present is the EFI Gen II. Gen I has slightly less aggressive seating, Gen II is a bit more forward. It can be changed with some lowered pegs and either different handlebars or bar-backs.

I personally love the ease of maintenance of the Gen II. I spent years on carbs and futzing with choke levers and petc0cks... no more. Turn the key and fire it up. When you see a temp reading other than LOW, jump on and twist the throttle. :woot:

I agree with Crazy, I read all the mags, I test ride new machines when I get to, and they ARE all still playing catch up. Although those manufacturers are indeed trying to do what the FZ1 does in order to capture this segment of the market, they have a long way to go. The fact that this IS in it's 6th year and has such a loyal following speaks volumes.

The FZ1 is not a true naked bike in North America because it has a 1/4 fairing and a windscreen... therefore, not in the same class as a true naked. It's more akin to something like a Bandit so why bother trying to compare it.

As far as available resources, have you actually ever looked into the wealth of resources available for any of the 'competition'? I have, there's plenty. You might have to venture outside of your bubble to find information on bikes that aren't as popular on this side of the ocean.

Also, the Speed Triple has been a 1050 since 2005. Just because the peak numbers aren't as high doesn't mean that sweet triple doesn't have a whole bunch of merits.

I'm glad you like your FZ1 but you're painting a real sad picture of yourself trying to convince everyone of how wrong they are.

Last edited:
Actually the FZ1 is a naked bike in the rest of the world... We are all biased here because we own and love these bikes.

I know this to be true, but this is people from America discussing things in America so typically the rest of the world is not really part of the thought process. Sadly.

The FZ1 is not a true naked bike because it has a 1/4 fairing and a windscreen... therefore, not in the same class as a true naked. It's more akin to something like a Bandit so why bother trying to compare it.
All the rags call it a necked bike --- I think it's a necked.
As far as available resources, have you actually ever looked into the wealth of resources available for any of the 'competition'? I have, there's plenty. You might have to venture outside of your bubble to find information on bikes that aren't as popular on this side of the ocean.
Now -- you're just confused -- the FZ1 was the #1 bike in Europe long before it was brought here.
Also, the Speed Triple has been a 1050 since 2005. Just because the peak numbers aren't as high doesn't mean that sweet triple doesn't have a whole bunch of merits.
It was launched in 1994 and I believe it's had 3 different engine sizes since then. In 2005 they apparently got tired of being left so far behind.
I'm glad you like your FZ1 but you're painting a real sad picture of yourself trying to convince everyone of how wrong they are.

I'm a little confused about what you ride but if it's not an FZ1, well, that is a sad picture. Unless, of course, you're a real man and ride a true crotch rocket.
Edit: I checked your profile and now understand that you ride the little 650. Nice bike though --- I use to race one of those with my cruiser. :)

Last edited:
I know this to be true, but this is people from America discussing things in America so typically the rest of the world is not really part of the thought process. Sadly.

That's real funny since the rest of the world is what turned us Americans on to the FZ1. Why are you in this forum -- again?

Back