generation breakdown?

That's real funny since the rest of the world is what turned us Americans on to the FZ1. Why are you in this forum -- again?

Because of the people of course! It's a great forum 9 times out of 10 but of course there's always a bad apple or two.

Joe, it's cute you're so concerned about the image of being a 'real man' that you make fun of someone based on the size of their bike. If having a smaller bike means I'm not a real man, that's ok with me! If being a 'real man' means being like you, I'd consider getting something even smaller I think. But in all seriousness, anything bigger is pointless since I ride so much I would just be throwing money in the trash wasting an FZ1 on my boring daily commutes. We've also got extremely strict speeding laws, high insurance premiums and the potential for roadside impounds at anything over 24 MPH over the limit.

I just wanted to poke in my $0.02 USD and take it for what it's worth. Don't be offended, this forum is too pleasant to have any silly flame wars.

Last edited:
Because of the people of course! It's a great forum 9 times out of 10 but of course there's always a bad apple or two.

Joe, it's cute you're so concerned about the image of being a 'real man' that you make fun of someone based on the size of their bike. If having a smaller bike means I'm not a real man, that's ok with me! If being a 'real man' means being like you, I'd consider getting something even smaller I think. But in all seriousness, anything bigger is pointless since I ride so much I would just be throwing money in the trash wasting an FZ1 on my boring daily commutes. We've also got extremely strict speeding laws, high insurance premiums and the potential for roadside impounds at anything over 24 MPH over the limit.

I just wanted to poke in my $0.02 USD and take it for what it's worth. Don't be offended, this forum is too pleasant to have any silly flame wars.
I was actually surprised you were on a 650 and, at first, assumed you were picking on the FZ1 because it wasn't a crotch rocket. Then when I checked your profile I became more confused.

Anyway, I have no desire to continue this discussion because we don't understand biking the same way and I really don't enjoy arguing.

Anyway, I have no desire to continue this discussion because we don't understand biking the same way and I really don't enjoy arguing.

Agree to disagree! We certainly approach motorbikes in a different way and for different reasons and that's what makes riding bikes so special.

I have no dislike for the FZ1--I love it and think it's a fantastic bike but it was just excessive for what I need. The part of me that loves buying & selling bikes just took advantage of an upswing in the used bike market and sold my bike for a tidy profit as I tend to do.

I agree with Crazy, I read all the mags, I test ride new machines when I get to, and they ARE all still playing catch up. Although those manufacturers are indeed trying to do what the FZ1 does in order to capture this segment of the market, they have a long way to go. The fact that this IS in it's 6th year and has such a loyal following speaks volumes.

Meh, that kind of talk is what killed Detroit. To think everyone is playing catchup and you are on still on top of the world with a design six years old when they are actually having your lunch has an eventual conclusion ..... loss of market share and failure. You can go on any bike or car forum and you can find fanboys (and girls) who are so singularly convinced that their whip is the best in the world that they won't even think about another product being as good, or horrors, better than theirs. It's natural, but ultimately a defeating position. Just because Crazy and Missy have severe tunnel vision and think the FZ1 is superior in almost all areas doesn't mean it's the truth. I'd rather have serious discussion about the FZ1's strong and weak points than just rah, rah boosterism across the board. That will make ownership more fun for everyone.

Meh, that kind of talk is what killed Detroit. To think everyone is playing catchup and you are on still on top of the world with a design six years old when they are actually having your lunch has an eventual conclusion ..... loss of market share and failure. You can go on any bike or car forum and you can find fanboys (and girls) who are so singularly convinced that their whip is the best in the world that they won't even think about another product being as good, or horrors, better than theirs. It's natural, but ultimately a defeating position. Just because Crazy and Missy have severe tunnel vision and think the FZ1 is superior in almost all areas doesn't mean it's the truth. I'd rather have serious discussion about the FZ1's strong and weak points than just rah, rah boosterism across the board. That will make ownership more fun for everyone.
Then why don't you tell us which bike is comparable and better than the FZ1. I can back up my Rah Rah.

Ya know the great thing about America is being able to have and express differing opinions. Maybe I like rah rah. It doesn't mean your opinion, or anyone else's is less then mine, or mine less then theirs. MY FZ1 fits MY riding style, perfectly. The only thing I wanna change is more carbon fiber, and a more cushy seat, 'cause I put so many miles on my arse hurts. :) Crazy said something about real men riding true sport bikes. I laughed. Why? Because although I'm a very active power lifter, ball player, my ass is way to old to be hunched over one of those damn things for to long. :)

The new Aprilia blows the fiz out of water... that is the standard that everyone has to catch up to. (Note I didn't use the term "naked". I can't stand that term. Standard, quarter, half and full.)

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

The new Aprilia blows the fiz out of water... that is the standard that everyone has to catch up to. (Note I didn't use the term "naked". I can't stand that term. Standard, quarter, half and full.)

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

We really don't know that yet. It's only 1000cc and in a V4 that will lose some umph. I felt the old Tuono was very comparable but the cost difference almost negates the difference.

It's defionitely an awesome bike but the rumors is --- it's been detuned and until we see some real numbers --- I'm not jumping on board. Plus, I don't consider any 1st year bike in the running until it's proven.

I think you guys are on drugs. IMHO --- there is no comparison to the FZ1. The Triumph speed triple just went to a 1050 cc bike this year to finally attain the HP rating of a 2001 FZ1. The Z1000, Honda 919, nothing can touch the over agility, price, availability of aftermarket parts and knowledge of a FZ1. So the bottom line is simple --- if you buy any other naked bike --- you are making a mistake.

Any more questions. :)

as a matter of fact I am on drugs the only difference between then and now is these are legal and if you're real nice I'll share!! guess i wont have to worry about sharing with ya Joe :nana:

Ya know the great thing about America is being able to have and express differing opinions. Maybe I like rah rah. It doesn't mean your opinion, or anyone else's is less then mine, or mine less then theirs. MY FZ1 fits MY riding style, perfectly. The only thing I wanna change is more carbon fiber, and a more cushy seat, 'cause I put so many miles on my arse hurts. :) Crazy said something about real men riding true sport bikes. I laughed. Why? Because although I'm a very active power lifter, ball player, my ass is way to old to be hunched over one of those damn things for to long. :)

Different opinions are great and should be welcomed, and I never said anybody's opinion was wrong ..... but as Daniel Patrick Moynihan said, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts". So rah rah is great (opinion) but facts (performance of other bikes) are harder to dispute. Most of us don't have the opportunity to actually ride the competition so we rely on facts gleened from other publications or comparing statistics, but relying on this is deeply flawed. How many of us have actually ridden the equivalent Aprilia, Ducati, BMW, Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki so a PERSONAL comparison can be made? Probably none, myself included, yet we can put our hands over our hearts and swear the FZ1 is the best thing in its class. That's impossible for anyone here to state with absolute facts at hand and a lack of using the butt dyno and riding experience of each bike . If the FZ1 fits your idea of the perfect bike (overall performance, looks, experience with Yamaha, etc) that's great ..... that's why I got one. But I am in no way deluding myself that the FZ1 is the absolute best, state of the art in the 2011 class of liter 'standard' bikes, bar none. I'm not sure why everyone is so touchy about this and wanting to shut down any discussion that would conclude otherwise.

Last edited:
generation breakdown?

Is there a breakdown of what has been changed on the FZ1 throughout the years?

how many generations are there ?

I have heard of gen I and II... and gen I being more comfortable. can the II be brought to that level? how different is the comfort level.

I've noticed the look changed either in 2006 or for the 2007 model year. I REALLY love the look of the newer. it really looks like a world class ride. very technical looking.

I'm not to interested in euro models, since i'll never get to look at them if they are different.

you get the idea.. I just keep waffling between all the used ones i've seen. i know they went fuel injected at one point... thanks for all the help. This is a great forum from what i've seen!

I have seen COUNTLESS threads like this and seen people argue point after point. I don't have anything new to add except this:

All the discussion in the world is not worth one single test ride. Go drive an Gen 1 and then drive a Gen 2 (or vice versa). Then you will know what is right for you. Both are amazing machines.
I knew IMMEDIATELY that the Gen 1 was for me. It was extremely comfortable and the power was a major jump from my 2002 SV650 (which is a fantastic bike).
Get out and go ride. Period. That is the only way that you will know.

Don't you love it when a new poster throws out a bomb, we all beat ourselves up silly arguing over it, and then he never shows up again?

I've just been sitting here biting my tongue. All the arguing going on probably scared the poor guy off.

lol! I can picture him thinking now: "Gen I? Gen? What's it matter; anyone who buys one of these things obviously turns into a raving maniac. Maybe I'll try the Z1000 forum."

lol! I can picture him thinking now: "Gen I? Gen? What's it matter; anyone who buys one of these things obviously turns into a raving maniac. Maybe I'll try the Z1000 forum."

I wouldn't doubt that for one second....lol. It did seem to turn some people into raving maniacs eh?

Simple put the bike I've been one with was my 97 Triumph Daytona T 595. My Gen II FZ is fitting better every day. If you can ride both and go with what feels best to you. It has to feel right to you and no one else and only you can answer that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just been sitting here biting my tongue. All the arguing going on probably scared the poor guy off.

A civil discussion is far from an argument. I must admit that this is a little mean:

"I'm a little confused about what you ride but if it's not an FZ1, well, that is a sad picture. Unless, of course, you're a real man and ride a true crotch rocket.
Edit: I checked your profile and now understand that you ride the little 650. Nice bike though --- I use to race one of those with my cruiser." :)

But to my defense, it was only meant as --- funny -- clever -- dribble.

I think anyone that comes on any bike site should expect positive statements about the bike --- that is why we ride it -- ya know.

What really aggravates me is the rags that try to compare liter bikes, for instance, but throw a Aprilia factory in the mix like it doesn't have an advantage up front while glossing over the fact that it cost like $10,0000 more than the other bikes.

So, I would like to see comparisons based solely on what you get for the money. This is why I have always felt the FZ1 is miles above the rest. But, to be fair, the FZ1 needs suspension adjustments that can be costly depending on your need for speed.

Our latest newcomer has pics of him and his FZ1 that are truly remarkable. These pics even extend the attitude I already have about this bike and give me new hope that I still have room to grow while maintaining a safety conscience attitude.

Back