Gen 3 Sections?

Since the FZ10 is the true replacement to the FZ1, will the admins just be adding sections for Gen 3 stuff?

Should the forum name be FZ1/FZ10 Forum now?

I disagree that it is a Gen 3 FZ1; this is a new model which has a current R1 chassis, current R1 swingarm, R1 electronics and current R1 Motor (re-tuned).

This model is no longer a sport tourer but is a super naked sportbike

It's also called a MT10 in every other country other than North America where it is called a FZ10 (not FZ1).

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the forthcoming FJ-10 will be the true successor to the FZ1 we all know and love. However, I think the MT-10/FZ-10 deserves a spot on this forum as it is definitely the 'FZ1 everyone's been asking for'.

Yep, the MT 10 follows on from the MT 01, MT 03, MT 07 and MT 09, it is a different lineage than the FZ. The FZ line outside of North America has gone.

The MT09 has a variant - FJ 09 in North America, and Tracer everywhere else.

Having said that, I have no issue with an MT 10 (FZ10) section being added to the forum, but I wouldn't call it Gen 3, It's really a Gen 1 in its own right.

That might be technically true but I personally don't feel the MT-10 is of the same lineage as the rest of the MT bikes.

The FZ line has always been sporty, high tech (for the time) bikes with four cylinders. The FZR line was killed and replaced by YZF but the FZ lived on.

Wow, the forum looks really disjointed now that there are a thousand new FZ10 forums. It's not even called a FZ10 here in Australia, I feel alienated now :(
Surely 1 FZ10/MT10 forum would suffice.

Bottom line is this is the 998cc.org site. The new bike is a 998cc Yamaha motorcycle fashioned after the current R1, exactly like the previous models of FZ - 998cc bikes. The evolution of the machine was always a de-tuned 998cc R1 and this model is no different (referencing the evolution of the new design). One could argue the same for the Gen I to Gen II with all of the major differences, correct?

The argument regarding the naming is also relevant with the FZ1 where in other countries, it is not an FZ1 but a Fazer. They can call it what they want but the fact is, this is replacing the FZ1 and it is still a 998cc Yamaha bike that has become the new generation of street brawler that we all know and love.

I think you'll find the new FJ version will be more aimed at adventure-touring and built accordingly with long travel suspension and touring options.

Either way, I honestly believe this is the Gen III and think it deserves a home here.

We'll agree to disagree. The MT10 deserves to be called a Gen 1 not added onto a dead series FZ1.

I wonder what the MT10 owners forums would say about their bike being a Gen III FZ1?

Bottom line is this is the 998cc.org site. The new bike is a 998cc Yamaha motorcycle fashioned after the current R1, exactly like the previous models of FZ - 998cc bikes. The evolution of the machine was always a de-tuned 998cc R1 and this model is no different (referencing the evolution of the new design). One could argue the same for the Gen I to Gen II with all of the major differences, correct?

The argument regarding the naming is also relevant with the FZ1 where in other countries, it is not an FZ1 but a Fazer. They can call it what they want but the fact is, this is replacing the FZ1 and it is still a 998cc Yamaha bike that has become the new generation of street brawler that we all know and love.

I think you'll find the new FJ version will be more aimed at adventure-touring and built accordingly with long travel suspension and touring options.

Either way, I honestly believe this is the Gen III and think it deserves a home here.

That is sorta what I was thinking and why I Suggested it, The FZ1 has been the "naked" Version of the R1, even if it was trailing on the generation of R1 motor, there was no other bike in the line up with the 998cc motor in it. Call it the MT10, FZ10 or Fazer and it is still the true successor to the FZ1.

I'm not against the MT10 having a place here on the forums as it may generate some more traffic and interest here, but I really dislike the idea of it being called a Gen III FZ1; when it so clearly isn't.

It's a new model and is part of the new Yamaha Hyper naked range.

I'd like to see a new Gen 1 area for the MT10 to give it the respect it deserves and not tacked onto the superseded FZ1 moniker.

Anyway you know my opinion and I won't say anymore about it.

I'm not against the MT10 having a place here on the forums as it may generate some more traffic and interest here, but I really dislike the idea of it being called a Gen III FZ1; when it so clearly isn't.

It's a new model and is part of the new Yamaha Hyper naked range.

I'd like to see a new Gen 1 area for the MT10 to give it the respect it deserves and not tacked onto the superseded FZ1 moniker.

Anyway you know my opinion and I won't say anymore about it.

I appreciate and respect your opinion Ballmead and as you've stated, we will agree to disagree. I've already stated my opinion as well. :D

Back