FZ6 to FZ1

Ruggybuggy

So I presently own an '08 FZ6 and thinking of buying a new '06 FZ1 (the bike has zero miles). I talked the salesman down to $6,150. So will the FZ1 be as reliable as the FZ6? For riders that have made the change what did or don't you like about the FZ1? Are the '06 the same bikes as the newer ones and is $6,150 a good price? What about the seat, is it better than the FZ6's and will I have to replace it with an aftermarket one?

Thanks in advance,

So will the FZ1 be as reliable as the FZ6?
YES IT WILL BE

Are the '06 the same bikes as the newer ones and is $6,150 a good price?

GOOD PRICE. BASICALLY THE SAME BIKES EXCEPT SMALL CHANGES TO THE ECU AND THE SHOCK SPRING
THE NEWER BIKES HAVE BETTER FUELING BUT A FCE FROM IVANS PERFORMANCE FIXES THAT FOR $200

What about the seat, is it better than the FZ6's and will I have to replace it with an aftermarket one?

SEATS OK, SOME LIKE IT SOME HATE IT. PLENTY OF OPTIONS TO REPLACE IT WITH

So will the FZ1 be as reliable as the FZ6?
YES IT WILL BE

Are the '06 the same bikes as the newer ones and is $6,150 a good price?

GOOD PRICE. BASICALLY THE SAME BIKES EXCEPT SMALL CHANGES TO THE ECU AND THE SHOCK SPRING
THE NEWER BIKES HAVE BETTER FUELING BUT A FCE FROM IVANS PERFORMANCE FIXES THAT FOR $200

What about the seat, is it better than the FZ6's and will I have to replace it with an aftermarket one?

SEATS OK, SOME LIKE IT SOME HATE IT. PLENTY OF OPTIONS TO REPLACE IT WITH

Thanks for the reply. So what was the issue with the fuel programing on the older bikes. Good to know there's a cheap fix for it.

Overall I'm much happier with my FZ1, but I made the switch last year. For me:

FZ1 seating position and handlebar angle is more comfortable
FZ1 has more power (not revving as high on my commute)
FZ1 doesn't vibrate as much
FZ1 sounds better
FZ1 stock suspension setup felt better to me
FZ6 more fuel efficient
FZ6 has better looking headlights (especially when modded for both to be on)
FZ6 undertail exhaust is sexy
FZ6 felt easier to handle

Don't know anything about prices, can't comment on that part.

Its not a bad price i paid 6k for my 09 with 300 miles on it. It will be hard to find another bike with miles that low. However you could find an fz1 with under 10k miles for 4-5 grand and it will last you an easy 100k miles. You could find one with some mods already done. Then again cant go wrong with a unmolested brand new bike though. Its best to not jump into a sale its starting to get cold and people will be selling bikes for cheap.

So I presently own an '08 FZ6 and thinking of buying a new '06 FZ1 (the bike has zero miles). I talked the salesman down to $6,150. So will the FZ1 be as reliable as the FZ6? For riders that have made the change what did or don't you like about the FZ1? Are the '06 the same bikes as the newer ones and is $6,150 a good price? What about the seat, is it better than the FZ6's and will I have to replace it with an aftermarket one?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Ruggybuggy! :D
I gotta tell ya that's there isn't anything I don't like about the FZ1. It's has more power and less vibration.
As far as the seat, I didn't think the stock on the 1 was horrible, but I did switch mine out to a TS seat...it just looks better.
Good luck with your decision.....keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply. So what was the issue with the fuel programing on the older bikes. Good to know there's a cheap fix for it.

Abrupt throttle response especially when going from closed to open throttle ( on and off the gas )

The price is good for the bike your looking at but you may be able to find a used bike with a bunch of modifications for the same price. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the responses. Its good to know it will be as reliable as my FZ6. Maybe I'll hold off for a while and see what happens to prices this winter. The salesmen told me that the bike hasn't even been started. Six years of sitting can't be a good thing. Sure bothers me that know I have to sell the FZ6 after all the modes I've done to the bike but on to bigger and better things.

Sitting for a year is sure worse than a week, but I really don't think sitting 6 years is much worse than one. If it was me, I would try to have all fluids drained and replaced ASAP, and look carefully at the tires. In my tire shop, we advise people not to use tires more than 5 years old. Some tires will stand up, but others will dry out and break down. This is especially true if the tires have been exposed to light, even through a showroom window. I'm super-fussy, but I might go so far as to heat the oil with a magnetic block heater and change it instead of running the engine to heat it. I am pretty fussy, though. It's probably not necessary. Look carefully at the tires, though. You're looking for tiny cracks on the sidewalks and along the treads on the face of the tire. If it's been on the showroom floor they will probably be flat spotted, too.

Maybe you could get them to install new Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires. The stock tires are crap!

Is it silver or red? They re-did red in '08 and silver in '11.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with an FZ1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bike wasn't ever started, so it shouldn't be a holding point. It is worse if a bike gets ran, and then sits for a while. This one, being at a dealership will have never had any fluids in it, or anything like that. It'll still be considered "new", so it will have a warranty. Before buying, and a final sale point would be to get her all filled with antifreeze, and fuel, and they WILL put a new battery in it...then we'll see if she turns right over.

My guess is that it will start right up. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

i'd try to get them to throw in a set of tires and be happy with that. i switched from fz6 to fz1 about 2 months ago, 5k miles later, love the upgrade, only issue for my fat ass is needing more padding on the seat, besides that, its awesome. i picked up my 09 for $6k and its worth trying to get a newer year than 07 as they did make some important tweaks that make the bike more enjoyable

:hellno:That's price is too much IMHO. These bikes handle mileage well. I bought my 2007 in late 2008 for $6500 with 12K miles on it in California. As soon as you sign the paperwork, your new 2006 will be a 6 year old used bike.

Great bike. The fueling is much better than the FZ6.

Overall there is no comparison between the two, I've owned both.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Sitting for a year is sure worse than a week, but I really don't think sitting 6 years is much worse than one. If it was me, I would try to have all fluids drained and replaced ASAP, and look carefully at the tires. In my tire shop, we advise people not to use tires more than 5 years old. Some tires will stand up, but others will dry out and break down. This is especially true if the tires have been exposed to light, even through a showroom window. I'm super-fussy, but I might go so far as to heat the oil with a magnetic block heater and change it instead of running the engine to heat it. I am pretty fussy, though. It's probably not necessary. Look carefully at the tires, though. You're looking for tiny cracks on the sidewalks and along the treads on the face of the tire. If it's been on the showroom floor they will probably be flat spotted, too.

Huh, I own a tire shop/service centre and know all two well about tires over 5 years old. "yes sir your tires do have lots of tread but they are over 10 years old and you should replace them" then they give you the "deer in the beadlights look".

The price is good for the bike your looking at but you may be able to find a used bike with a bunch of modifications for the same price. Something to think about.

This is great advice. I, too, moved from my '06 FZ6 to a '09 FZ6 this past spring and haven't regretted it a bit. I paid $6k (private sale) and the bike had 6k miles on it when I bought it. Here's where I scored big...the bike already had every performance mod imaginable done to it, including a Yosh exhaust and all the mods that come along with that. It also came with a full compliment of Givi hard luggage and mounts (top case and side cases).

I would definitely recommend looking around for a late model used bike. You're also coming into the best time of year to buy, so the prices should be reasonable. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back