FZ1 Top Saddlery seat installed! (More pics added)

Dood - that looks great! Good find. You're brave going on a long ride like that without breaking it in first. I hope you don't end up with blisters like you would with a new pair of hiking boots :eek:

Thanx my butt screams at me to get off the bike at about 100 miles or so lol. I might just have to take a leap on a seat one day but ill make due for now. I do like the Top Saddlery peice really makes me want to get one of those embrodered seats and it looks comfy

Ok people.... the report is in! I'm not going to be anything other than brutally honest. I did not get to do 1000 miels this weekend, but I did do 565 miles. The longest stretch was a full tank.

I am not as happy with this seat as I was with the TS seat on the FZ6. While it is very comfortable, it isn't the same experience... let me tell you why.

Pros:
  • Looks GREAT
  • No slipping!
  • Very soft and forgiving.
  • No more vibrations
  • Very tightly fitting.
  • high quality construction
  • Price. Cheaper than Corbin or Sargent

Cons:
  • Seating area is too small (crowds you into the tank)
  • Foam used is too soft. Compresses and I think I can feel the pan edges.

Overall, it still is a great improvement and had I not had the FZ6 seat in the past, I think I'd review this a bit more positively. This seat does extend my riding time before my arse complains though so I am grateful for that. I was done in less than an hour on the stock seat. This seat gives me enough comfort to last a tank of fuel, or about 140 miles. I found that shifting a little makes you forget about discomfort for a while.

When I say you feel the pan's edges, it isn't harsh and may be just a perception. The trouble is, the FZ1 seat pan is poorly designed and a bother to work with. I think that I will be unstapling this over the winter and making a few changes to the rear rider area. I want to shave off some of the foam behind the FZ1 Logo and replace it with some memory foam which will compress a great deal more and allow me to move back in the saddle a bit more. I also will check on any possible way to smooth out the top of the pan where the thighs rest to see if I can eliminate the feeling of the ridges there.

I do want to note too that I can feel those ridges with the stock seat as well, but on the stocker, they are less pronounced because the stock foam is less forgiving.

I think this seat is about 80% of what I wanted which is significant. Also of note, I think if I drop about 30 - 35 pounds body weight, I'll not compress the seat as much!

Today's rating? 8 out of a possible 10.

You going to look at changing some of the material out to make it more twisty friendly instead of plant your but and it stays?

Actually after this weekend, no. I found that I was able to slide on it enough that it wasn't a hinderance to my transitions from corner to corner. So, I am sticking with the no-slip material.

One more thing... it seems this seat adds a little height as well. I can still flatfoot the bike OK but my knees aren't as bent as with the stock seat.

Thanks for a great write up on the TS seat. I hadnt seen these before, but looks like it might be a better option than the Sargent.

I definitely dont want any nut crunching. Im 5'11, 180 lbs with a 34" waistline. Was wondering how this compares to your build and if you think I would have sufficient room on this seat.

Do you know if they offer their seats with black piping? The white looks fine, but I prefer black because I tend to get everything white dirty!

And last but not least, when you get a chance could you take a few pics of your entire bike with your TS seat installed (like a side profile). Im interested in seeing how the TS seat flows with the lines of the bike.

This seat certainly looks far more comfortable than the stock seat! Thanks again

I am 5' 10", 224 lbs and a 36" waist. So, with my large arse, I'm a bit crowded and you'll have a little more space unless your of the John Holmes stature. :eek: ;)

I ordered a bargain (pre-made) seat but you can order one any way you'd like. As a matter of fact, I'd say spend the extra money with them and get the colors you want (they offer a lot of choices) and order the LONG option, meaning they don't put so much padding behind that logo and you can sit back further. It's more expensive to go with the custom seat but worth every penny!

I might even order a custom seat myself and find a smaller/thinner rider to buy this seat from me. ;)

I'll get some profile shots for you and post up soon. :tup:

Thanks for the info! It looks like I might be changing my $4000.00+ accessory wishlist list to include one of these seats. I really like the raised portion of the back of the driver seat, and having a long option for a bit more room sounds about perfect!

Sorry this took so long bsly... here's the profile shots. Let mek now if these suffice, ok?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Eric, what can I say. Absolutely awesome job! That deep blue is a great color. Everything came together beautifully. Very nice job. Feel proud! As they say in the old movies...."Ya done good buddy boy".

Thanks for the extra pics! I think I'm sold on one of these TS seats over the other seats available. The pricing is pretty similar with options and shipping.

I think I will like the long option for a little more room to shift around from front to back.

Your FZ is looking great, the blue looks kind of like the color of my recently sold 2005 Kaw ZZR 600

Thanks Billy! I'm quite happy with her but still want to do a lot. This winter, I want to take off the pillion pegs and brackets and have them powder coated to match the frame. While I am at it, I may as well have the rearsets done too!

Also on the list (I have to ask for Xmas and B'Day) PC V, a real FE Kit, lower cowl/chin fairing, Puig DB screen, SS braided brake lines, and maybe the shrouds for the sides. :D

I figure by this time next year, it will be where I want her to be. ;) I have a feeling this bike will be around for a long time. I love this machine.

I have a feeling this bike will be around for a long time. I love this machine.

My exact sentiments too. I believe that without hitting the Lottery, this too will be my last bike. And a worthy bike at that! Now if I do hit the "Big One".....All bets are off!:sport12::sport12::sport12::sport12::sport12::sport12::sport12:: One for every day of the week!!!!

Powdercoating the passenger pegs/brackets and rearsets is on my list also! Yamaha should have done this from the get go on the years with blacked out engines.

My FZ1 wish-list easily exceeds 4 grand! Its good to want things... i'll try to get them a little at a time

Powdercoating the passenger pegs/brackets and rearsets is on my list also! Yamaha should have done this from the get go on the years with blacked out engines.

My FZ1 wish-list easily exceeds 4 grand! Its good to want things... i'll try to get them a little at a time

It is sad that with all the blue and black, the stuck two silver parts in the middle of it all. I call it lazy!

So, after looking over Copperdog's stuff? My list just climbed to over $2500 dollars. Over $1200 for just the Copperdog treatment!

Last edited:
How's the new seat working out?

FZ1inNH I just picked up an 07 FZ1 and already want to change the seat. How is your new seat working out? Also how much did this seat set you back cash wise? Looks like a great seat and I am trying to decide between this seat and the Yamaha FZ1 comfort seat. Thanks.

Chad aka CGFZ1

FZ1inNH I just picked up an 07 FZ1 and already want to change the seat. How is your new seat working out? Also how much did this seat set you back cash wise? Looks like a great seat and I am trying to decide between this seat and the Yamaha FZ1 comfort seat. Thanks.

Chad aka CGFZ1

Chad, the seat is awesome! This is the third bike with a TS seat and each time, it is worth the money. With the Euro down around $1.45 right now, it is a great time to buy from France. When I bought, it was higher and cost me nearly $500 USD for that seat! Buy!!!

Back