FZ1 Top Saddlery seat installed! (More pics added)

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
It came in yesterday... record shipping from France! I've waited longer for packages from CA! Let's start with a comparison of the rider seat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow! My butt feels more comfortable just looking at the photos! You gotta let us know your impressions after a couple of long rides. I wonder if they do anything for GenI's? I like the way the rear comes up behind you. It reminds me of a sportbike with a solo seat. It should really keep you on there when you do your 9K RPM launches!!

That looks fantastic! Please let us know your impressions comfort wise. I am seriously looking for a new seat and I really like how these look. Congrats!

Thanks guys!

Billy, they do offer this for the GEN I and it does have the same shape. The GEN I seat is very much like the FZ6 seat and I had this on my FZ6... best seat ever!

My initial impressions are these:

Fit is VERY tight! To unlock this seat, you have to press down on the rear above the latch and turn the key. You cannot turn the key without pressing. The rider seat is also a tight fit. I had to really give it a shove to get it latched. I'm sure that with time and wear, it will "form" to the bike and my arse and fit will be better. Actually, having it tight means zero vibration as well!

The seat came with all the mounting hardware. No swapping. :D

I threw a leg over it and had my first sit.... Mind you, I had this in my office chair for 6 of 9 hours today while at work. :eek: ;) Initially, I am concerned about the rider position. If my arse gets any bigger or the "boys" aren't in the right position, well, let's say it is a bit crowded in the front, ok? All that thick padding at the tailbone? Might be a bit much for a big arse like mine. I'd like to be about another inch back so the "boys" have a bit of room to play. On a side note? Even if I emergency stop, the material isn't going to let me slide forward much which gives me a little peace of mind.

Regardless, this weekend will be the ultimate test as I embark on a tour Friday from Dover, NH to West Dover, VT. Saturday is about a 300 mile day in the twisties of VT and Sunday, the long way home back to Dover, NH. I am hoping to come closer to 1000 miles for the weekend in the new saddle. By Monday, I'll be able to tell you ALL about it. :beer:

not to have two thread going -- but I was looking at shaving seat....and I need to remove anywhere from 1/2-3/4" of an inch to be able to slide back in the saddle.

or is that being too agressive??

not to have two thread going -- but I was looking at shaving seat....and I need to remove anywhere from 1/2-3/4\" of an inch to be able to slide back in the saddle.

or is that being too agressive??

On a GEN I, you can easily squeeze that out of the seat. Even better is to round off where your thighs rest when stopped and both legs down. You can dish out the seat easily... a grinder works great. I can't remeber if I posted it on this site yet but here's a great url for just what you want to do. DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Hey did you have to send your seat in or did you buy the whole base with it?

He posted on another thread that he has to now return his stock seat or they'll charge him a seat core charge. I guess they do this so that there is no downtime for the buyer since they'll get a complete seat and then simply return their stock one.

I like what I see so far, but I am not sure that I want to be stuck in one position since it doesn't seem like you can move back and forth much. I do like how it comes up in the front, which probably keeps you from sliding into the tank. I'll wait to hear Eric's comments after his weekend ride. I already have a Sargent seat on my bike so changing seats is not high on my priority list.

Top Sellerie, sellerie moto is where to buy them. If you choose USA, then your make/model, you can check the bargin bin for the heavily discounted seats which is what this one is.

Buying their base on the FZ1 (GEN II) was too expensive. It was cheaper for me to just ship back my originals. I can buy a complete stock set locally for what they wanted for the base so it just made sense. Now, on the FZ6? It was most practical to buy the base... a lot cheaper. :D

As for position, you can move back and forth... did good this AM diving into my favorite corners on the way to work. I'm hoping that it breaks in and let's me ease backward a bit in time. If not, then I might take it apart this winter and shave just the back, then put back some foam that will compress to almost flat, just to retain the shape of the seat's stitched panels. This will allow me to move back about 1" that I'd like to have.

I was doing some looking and I'll have to do some more since there is a bargin bin and how do you like your sargent seat set? I went to their site and they wanted almost 500 bucks not sure if I want to drop that much in a seat but if you guys have a place to find discounted seats it would be helpful

As for position, you can move back and forth... did good this AM diving into my favorite corners on the way to work. I'm hoping that it breaks in and let's me ease backward a bit in time. If not, then I might take it apart this winter and shave just the back, then put back some foam that will compress to almost flat, just to retain the shape of the seat's stitched panels. This will allow me to move back about 1\\" that I'd like to have.

Oh ok. From the pictures that you had posted it looked like there was not much room to move back and forth. I am sure you'll gain a little more room once it breaks in.

I was doing some looking and I'll have to do some more since there is a bargin bin and how do you like your sargent seat set? I went to their site and they wanted almost 500 bucks not sure if I want to drop that much in a seat but if you guys have a place to find discounted seats it would be helpful

The Sargent seats were on the bike when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the passenger seat since I dont ever ride anyone. And I agree that $500 for the set is a lot of money. Never having experienced the stock seat I can't give a direct comparison, but I have to assume that it's better than stock. How much better I can't really say, but after riding for 1 1/2 to 2 hours I am ready for a break.

It's a beauty Eric. If you don't mind I'd like to try yours out for a short spin. You can ride mine to remember how uncomfortable you used to be.

Back