Former Fz6 rider, looking at getting Fz1, advice/help????

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I wanted to ask a few questions to you that have had experience with the Fz1

I am a 34 year old male who recently started riding motorcycles. I took the MSF BRC at the end of Octorber. I got my first bike an 2008 Fz6 mid-november and crashed it 12-2-2012. The crash was partly my fault, partly not, I had hit a patch a gravel on a twisty and long story short laid the bike down. (long story is here with pictures, The Story of My First Crash 12-2-2012 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum ) They are most likely going to total it because the cosmetic damage alone is at least the value of the bike.

I had logged 1800 miles in 2 weeks with 2 seperate rides of greater than 200 miles in an afternoon. I use the bike as a daily commuter and weekend canyon carver, just like the promotional propaganda suggests for the Fz. I was planning on taking the Total Control advanced riding class next weekend but now looks like I will have to wait till the end of the month.

Ok, now down to the questions. (I'm looking at GenII Fz1's 2006 or 2009). I will post the question and my reason for asking down below.

Are the adjustments available on the Fz1 forks and rear shock going to be enough to accomodate my 6'4" 250 lb body or am I going to still have to do aftermarket mods for the bikes suspension?
I was going to do this on the Fz6 before the crash anyway

Is the difference in the engine displacement (hp/torque) really going to make that huge of a difference that I will get in trouble that much more easily?
I ride more or less responsibly and only really like to open it up on the straights (topped the Fz6 out at 130 no cars, straight clean road, and would hit 80-100 evading cars or passing them if you will on the highway, normally follow the +9 over the speed limit rule), and take corners cautiously (posted speed limit more or less) as I'm still learning. When I tell people I am thinking of getting a liter bike they freak out because I'm a new rider and just crashed but I was also getting to the point of wondering if I had too small of a bike to begin with. I mean the motorcycle still follows the controls as in braking and acceleration right, not just launching on it's own (lol, jk)?

Does the Fz1 have that same inline 4 vibration as the Fz6 in the higher rpms 6000+? With the bigger engine would I be able to keep the rpms down and thus the vibrations on the Fz1?
My little Fz6 when I would wind her up past 6000rpm the vibes were down right annoying. I do take 2 regular trips a month on about a 60 mile chunk of highway that has a posted speed limit of 75 and most cars go 85. I like to stay slightly out and away from them so I am at 85 and 90 and I still get passed on occassion, my rpms are 6500ish in 6th gear and the vibration can kill me.

Is the Fz1 as easy to throw around in the twisty's as the Fz6? If I were to make a mistake is that extra weight in an Fz1 going to make it that much more difficult to recover?

Any other thoughts, comments, concerns, questions you guys may have to help me make a good decision here would be great.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't recommend a FZ1 just yet... It is a huge power difference and could get you into much more trouble. The 1 is a lot heavier than the 6 also. Im 6'5 and I fit fine.however you got about 50lbs on me. Although you are a bit older than a lot of the kids wanting one so its really up to you. I rode smaller bikes for years before I bought my FZ1 and still almost dumped it the first week.

Ssky0078: I can't speak for you but I can tell you that when I had 1800 miles & a couple months of riding experience under my belt (it wasn't that long ago), I was in no way ready or skilled enough for an FZ1. If you've got a crash on your mind prior to getting a new bike, it may prove extra intimidating at first as the memory of crashing lingers in your consciousness for a while! Ask me how I know! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't recommend a FZ1 just yet... It is a huge power difference and could get you into much more trouble. The 1 is a lot heavier than the 6 also. Im 6'5 and I fit fine.however you got about 50lbs on me. Although you are a bit older than a lot of the kids wanting one so its really up to you. I rode smaller bikes for years before I bought my FZ1 and still almost dumped it the first week.

Thanks for the input. I hear ya loud and clear. My concern is that if I get into another 6 and am going to get bored in about 6 months becuase I should have about 10-15k miles (I did 1800 miles in 17 days before crash) in the saddle in that time. Money is not always readily available and I want to plan a long term relationship with my next bike. I guess it will be right before AZ summer and I can get rid of it and get a car again for worse case scenario.

I definitely don't want another down, I still have some concussion symptoms(headache only) and am sore in the spots I hit. I'll have it figured out by next week. Thanks again.

Ssky0078: I can't speak for you but I can tell you that when I had 1800 miles & a couple months of riding experience under my belt (it wasn't that long ago), I was in no way ready or skilled enough for an FZ1. If you've got a crash on your mind prior to getting a new bike, it may prove extra intimidating at first as the memory of crashing lingers in your consciousness for a while! Ask me how I know! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

How do you know?

BTW not for nothing, but I had 1800 miles in a couple weeks. It's like :stunta]:after the first 1000 miles in a week. LOL

From what you describe I would buy another Fz6. I had one for two years back in Germany and later a Fz1. The 6 has more than enough power and in general all Fz have not much vibrations compared to other bikes I owned or drove.

I guess the next step for you is getting better at riding curves and the Fz6 is much easier bike and has superior handling compared to the Fz1. The lesser power of the Fz6 is usually not an issue if you keep it in the sweet spot 10k rpm and up (for the Fz1 that's 8k and up) it is powerfull and challenging. Even the power of the Fz6 easily leads to slides of the rear wheel while at least (usually) the front wheel stays down. In case of the Fz 1 a wrong pull on the right hand can raise the front wheel in the curve. In general the Fz1 is a beast and I often find myself fighting with the power in fast changing curves, it requires much more power to steer compared to the Fz6 mainly due to the broader rear tire and more weight.
I think one should drive a reasonable powered and easy to control bike the first couple of years before changing to a very powerful bike. Commuting will not teach you how to ride twisties so miles per year is difficult to evaluate. Believe me a 600cc bike has more than enough power, most people never ever use the 150 hp (thats anyway a more theoretical number) of the Fz1. To get this power you must have 11500 rpm and this you only do very rarely. Even on my most spirited canyon rides I have usually 8k-9k rpm just because more power I can not control in the curves.

So ask yourself how often did you have the Fz6 at 12-14k rpm? If you were not all the time in this range you do not need more power.

Just some thoughts. If you do not like high rpms the Fzs are the wrong bikes in my opinion.

I'm curious what you think might be boring about the FZ6 after six months?

I was starting to get bored of my Fz6 in 17 days. The first time I got on the bike, helmet, no jacket and went to rocket it off a stop sign 0-62 in first I thought it was a rush. The next day I got all my gear and then went on to methodically practice at every chance MSF techniques, launch, low speed parking lot, stopping distances (front brake, back brake, both brakes, fast/slow), freeway riding, avoiding traffic, safety cushion distances, evasive maneuvers, imaginary obstacles mid-corner, etc. After the first 1000 miles in a week, I found that my launch was pretty good, smooth and quick, not track record or anything. Cornering was getting easier and easier, especially as I got to used to the counter-steer practice.

I found that after 2 really long rides, 200+miles, with a lot of twisties that I found the cornering to be fun, but the balance of the bike was off for me because of the soft suspension and my weight 250#. I found that to really get going I had to often double down shift to 4th to really get moving quick on the freeway and even then the RPMs around 8-14k provided harsh vibration making it fatiguing if not intolerable for long bouts of time. In the twisties (25-45mph) I would find myself upshifting to 3rd gear (4k rpm) because dealing with the vibration in second gear (6k rpm) was terrible. It was more fun in second but I could only take it so long because the vibes. And the few times I did it in first gear at that 10k RPM range it was a thrill but again the vibration bugged the s#@t out of me. I rarely ever really romped on the throttle in the corners but would definitely coming out into a straight. On my list of things to do for the bike along with the suspension was a throttle sync with a carbtune device that an Fz6 forum member suggested because it reduced his vibrations by up to 80%.

On Friday I literally stopped at the dealer and asked if they had any Fz8's or Fz1's, then on Sunday I crashed, gravel to blame but still my fault. I have talked to many people and they say gravel can even take out the most skilled rider. I thought it was an opportunity to look for a new bike but maybe I should just start over on the 6 and really learn how to ride the crap out of it.

I think I could give myself the time to practice on the Fz6 for a little longer and learn how to really wring the gears on her. Probably taking more time to work on the setup and on learning about motorcycle maintenance.

You can get in trouble on a fz6 just as easy as an fz1. If you respect the machine you will be fine. I really don't think you will have any issues with it go for the fz1. It's pretty tame below 6k rpm and 8k is when it really pulls.

From what you describe I would buy another Fz6. I had one for two years back in Germany and later a Fz1. The 6 has more than enough power and in general all Fz have not much vibrations compared to other bikes I owned or drove.

I guess the next step for you is getting better at riding curves and the Fz6 is much easier bike and has superior handling compared to the Fz1. The lesser power of the Fz6 is usually not an issue if you keep it in the sweet spot 10k rpm and up (for the Fz1 that's 8k and up) it is powerfull and challenging. Even the power of the Fz6 easily leads to slides of the rear wheel while at least (usually) the front wheel stays down. In case of the Fz 1 a wrong pull on the right hand can raise the front wheel in the curve. In general the Fz1 is a beast and I often find myself fighting with the power in fast changing curves, it requires much more power to steer compared to the Fz6 mainly due to the broader rear tire and more weight.
I think one should drive a reasonable powered and easy to control bike the first couple of years before changing to a very powerful bike. Commuting will not teach you how to ride twisties so miles per year is difficult to evaluate. Believe me a 600cc bike has more than enough power, most people never ever use the 150 hp (thats anyway a more theoretical number) of the Fz1. To get this power you must have 11500 rpm and this you only do very rarely. Even on my most spirited canyon rides I have usually 8k-9k rpm just because more power I can not control in the curves.

So ask yourself how often did you have the Fz6 at 12-14k rpm? If you were not all the time in this range you do not need more power.

Just some thoughts. If you do not like high rpms the Fzs are the wrong bikes in my opinion.

If the Fz6 has superior handling to the Fz1 then I'll stick with the Fz6 for now. My biggest complaint is the suspension and handling in the Fz6. I could feel on a couple occasions the back tire slipping out behind me if I was pushing it, but no I never did lift up the front tire.

I have the Fz6 at 12-14k every time I get on the freeway and it's starting to feel slow. I mean the thing with the Fz6 at 14k rpm in first gear is about 62 mph, in second gear it's about 85 mph, and at 3rd gear around 100 mph. So not many real opportunities to cruise around and push that extra hp to the max. But part of my logic is that if I can go 85 in 6th gear at 5000 rpm on an Fz1 compared to 6500 rpm on an Fz6 then I will have less vibration fatigue. I did just read that people will put a +1 sprocket on the front sprocket of an Fz6 and it helps drop the rpms at high freeway speed and thus the vibration.

Well the handling of the Fz6 is better, but of course an adjustable suspension is an advantage (Fz1). I am 6'2" but only have 175 lb so for me the Fz6 was the better handling bike. On the other hand you are a new rider, and sorry to say this but 2000 miles is nothing. I would never judge a bike after such a short period of riding. It's up to you what you want but calling the Fz6 after two weeks boring indicates that you overestimate you abilities. I say this because I saw this with me and my friends, especially when you are new to riding.

Concerning the vibes, I guess something must be wrong with you bike. Mine never had any noticeable vibrations even at 10k and up the engine was just like a turbine. The Fz1 has more vibration (so still very little in my opinion) than the Fz6 because it has a larger engine.

Well the handling of the Fz6 is better, but of course an adjustable suspension is an advantage (Fz1). I am 6'2" but only have 175 lb so for me the Fz6 was the better handling bike. On the other hand you are a new rider, and sorry to say this but 2000 miles is nothing. I would never judge a bike after such a short period of riding. It's up to you what you want but calling the Fz6 after two weeks boring indicates that you overestimate you abilities. I say this because I saw this with me and my friends, especially when you are new to riding.

Concerning the vibes, I guess something must be wrong with you bike. Mine never had any noticeable vibrations even at 10k and up the engine was just like a turbine. The Fz1 has more vibration (so still very little in my opinion) than the Fz6 because it has a larger engine.

I will have to investigate the vibration further, I was troubleshooting one item at a time for it. It's amazing to hear you had little to no vibration up to 10k though.

I probably am overestimating my ability. Just smart enough to be dangerous type am I.

I am actually very happy I asked the sage members of this forum community before I jumped on to an Fz1. I think I can get a lot more skill on the Fz6 for now and build up to the Fz1. It's a beautiful bike the Fz1, just looks like meanness on two wheels yet creature comfortable.

:+1: to all responders, thank you

Am I missing something? Is the FZ6 the lightweight of the FZ series? My FZ1 with the fairing removed and the Yosh slip on weighs in about 15lb. LESS than my FZ6R. Is the 6 way lighter than the 6R?

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread. Ultimately, it's up to you. I find the FZ1 to be as manageable as my 6R (less power than the 6) when I'm being sane, but it is stupid powerful if you try. Stupid, stupid powerful. The potential for trouble lies in giving it a little squirt and grabbing an extra 40mph when you meant to grab 15, and then all of a sudden the end of the straight is rushing up on you.

Handling-wise, I've never been on an FZ6, and I understand it to be a LOT better than the 6R, but I can tell you I appreciate the fully adjustable suspension. I find the handling of my FZ1 to be way better than the 6R, but not very different, if you follow.

Vibration-wise, I never found it to be a problem with my 6R, but do find my FZ1 to be smoother. I like to take long rides (my best day so far was 500 or so miles) and always found 70-90mph cruising felt like my 600 was working too hard. My FZ1 feels a lot more natural at that speed.

Good luck with your choice. Learn lots and be safe no matter which you pick, and you'll enjoy riding for years to come.

Wow. Too much to read here but the handling of the FZ1 is night and day from the FZ6. The 6 is a bowl of noodles.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

I had an FZ6 just before I got the FZ1 and to be honest there isn't a lot of difference in the two in day to day riding. The FZ6 is not that much lighter than an FZ1, and the handling is fine unless you are really pushing it. At the OP's skill level he should be learning the basics of control and efficient riding, and not testing the power curves at 12,000 rpm. I would recommend getting another 600cc, honing your riding craft over the next 18 months and then move up to a larger bike IF you need it. Those who say, "Go for it" don't know your skill level or approach to riding, only you you know that. Don't go crazy, any motorcycle can get you into trouble, and all things being equal a more powerfull machine is sometimes too much of a temptation to an inexperienced rider.

I just read your story over at the FZ6 forum. One observation I would make is that you were out riding with a few friends. In my 36 years of riding experience anytime you get a group of guys together the least skilled rider is forced to push himself to keep up with the group. I do not know if this was a factor in your crash but I no longer ride in groups, I ride by myself at my own pace. I do not want to be in a position to watch out for less skilled riders or be in a position myself that I have to keep up with a group whose idea of a leisurely Saturday morning ride is wringing the bikes out at 9/10's effort on a 60 mile romp through the twisties. I find my pleasure in getting out by myself, no radio, no music, no phones; just me, my bike and my skills to keep me entertained. Everyone is different, but be cognizant of the 'group mentality' on your riding.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? Is the FZ6 the lightweight of the FZ series? My FZ1 with the fairing removed and the Yosh slip on weighs in about 15lb. LESS than my FZ6R. Is the 6 way lighter than the 6R?

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread. Ultimately, it's up to you. I find the FZ1 to be as manageable as my 6R (less power than the 6) when I'm being sane, but it is stupid powerful if you try. Stupid, stupid powerful. The potential for trouble lies in giving it a little squirt and grabbing an extra 40mph when you meant to grab 15, and then all of a sudden the end of the straight is rushing up on you.

Handling-wise, I've never been on an FZ6, and I understand it to be a LOT better than the 6R, but I can tell you I appreciate the fully adjustable suspension. I find the handling of my FZ1 to be way better than the 6R, but not very different, if you follow.

Vibration-wise, I never found it to be a problem with my 6R, but do find my FZ1 to be smoother. I like to take long rides (my best day so far was 500 or so miles) and always found 70-90mph cruising felt like my 600 was working too hard. My FZ1 feels a lot more natural at that speed.

Good luck with your choice. Learn lots and be safe no matter which you pick, and you'll enjoy riding for years to come.

Thanks for the feedback. The Fz6r is I think 20 pounds heavier, 20 few HP, and 10 fewer lbs-ft torque. Yamaha has actually started marketing it toward women beginning riders.

I think if I stay with the Fz6 I will have to do front and rear suspension. I have no significant issue controlling the power. I've driven manual transmissions my whole life starting with my first car a 5.0L V8 in an '82 mercury capri. It seems to be the same on a bike, matching RPM to speed to how fast you actually want to be going. If you are going too fast hopefully in a lower gear and hope the engine decels a little for you.

I appreciate your point about shooting for an increase in 15 mph and hitting 40 mph, that was a thing I was concerned about.

Also braking if I were to be going to fast, if I could get a quick stop without the huge front end dive my Fz6 takes. That should probably be fixed with the suspension.

Someone at your weight will need to do suspension on basically any stock bike. Japanese bikes are especially notorious for being sprung for much lighter people. When you're too heavy for the suspension, you'll never get it in its 'sweet spot' in the stroke and the bike will never feel good underneath you. You will experience the same issue with the FZ1 as you would with the FZ6.

Re-spring the front & rear and get your sag/preload set and see how much difference it makes. Suspension is the only performance modification I do to my bikes & it's well worth the money.

I've only ridden an FZ6 briefly so I can't speak for it but I did own an SV650 after selling my FZ1. With some suspension upgrades, the bike was fantastic to handle. I should think your FZ6 will be just the same as it comes with much better suspension from the factory.

Last edited:
Back