Five Canyon Tour

Part 6
Day 13 August 18/15

Today was a cold ride. We headed north on WY # 191 all the way up to Yellowstone Nat Park. Lots of prairie to ride through and we never saw any antelope until we were close to Jackson.
I had been to Yellowstone on a few occasions but had never gone south to the Tetons. I was looking forward to this because of all the great pictures I have seen.
Here is a shot of the Great Smokey Mountains………….I mean the Teton Mountains.

All the forest fires in ID made the scenery somewhat less spectacular.
We had a campsite booked at Bridge Bay and set up camp. That evening there was a bike pulled in to the site across the road. I walked over, introduced myself and invited Scott over to our fire. Scott is a DJ at a radio station in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He was on a solo tour and our invite came at a perfect time. He welcomed some company and said he had been unable to make a fire, so our fire was a treat. Scott was trying to decide which way to leave the park and I strongly suggested he go out the NE corner and ride Beartooth Pass. I left him my business card and he sent me a picture from the pass.

It was a lot smokier when we got there the next day.

Two nights earlier I was sleeping at Moab with the tent open and laying on top of my sleeping bag. Now the temperature at night dropped down to 31*F! The sleeping bag hood was pulled tight and just my nose and eyes were peeking out. I had gotten a new bag for Christmas and it was up to the task. I wasn’t cold but neither was I hot.

Mileage 475 kms

Day 14

Yellowstone was sunny and nice. Gerry had never been there so we started out at Old Faithful.

We did a loop through the park and took in…………………...
Canyon #5 Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

When we got back to camp, this bull elk was shredding this poor little tree.

Mileage 193 kms

Day 15

We left the next morning and went out the Beartooth Pass. It was so smoky that we never did see Beartooth Mtn. There was no construction on the pass so the ride was smooth and fun.

We got back on Hwy #191, rode through Billings MT, and all the way up to Malta. There is some nice scenery north of Billings and through the Missouri River valley. We grabbed another hotel room for the night.

Mileage 714 kms

Day 16
As we left Malta there was a sign suggesting motorcycles take an alternate route due to construction. Problem being that there IS NO OTHER ROUTE to where we need to go! It really wasn’t too bad, nothing that anyone I know wouldn’t ride through. The smoke was thick again today.

We passed through Canadian Customs and rode up to Swift Current, SK. We stopped for lunch at the golf course and from there we parted ways. Gerry headed north for home in Saskatoon and I spent the night visiting family and friends.

Mileage 238 kms

Day 17, August 22/15

It rained through the night and most of the morning. When things cleared up after lunch I headed north. It was a cool ride all the way back to Lloydminster. I got home about 5:30 PM. Just in time for supper and Birthday cake. It was my 55th birthday!

My chain is about shot but the bike ran perfectly. Fantastic memories, amazing scenery and good company. Pretty much sums up why I ride!

Mileage 440 kms
Trip total 8,265.6 kms (5,136 miles)

The End

What a great trip. I'm jealous.

I did Beartooth Pass about 12 years ago travelling from Montana to Yellowstone. Unfortunately I was in a rental V6 Mustang that really didn't like that altitude. That road is right near the top of my all-time favourite roads. Great surface, beautiful scenery and the weather put on a great show for me - sunshine, a storm in the valley beside me, some hail, more sunshine. I even got to spend some time up close to some marmots and mountain goats.
Marmot.jpg

I'd love to go back and do that road again either in a proper sports car or on a decent bike like the FZ.
RockiesRoad.jpg

Back