FDB Levers Installed on 2 FZ1s

How long have you had them?, and do you park your bike outside? I'm just curious cause my Black FDB's have been on the bike since last August and they still look brand new with no fading at all.

I think it's probably being caused by the UV radiation...parking the bike indoors is always a good thing for all components, including tires.

I think it's probably being caused by the UV radiation...parking the bike indoors is always a good thing for all components, including tires.

Thats what I was thinking. UV will do a number on most things in time. I bet even Pazzo's, left outside for their lifespan, would change color as well. I have to say that even though the saying, "you get what you pay for" usually holds true in most cases, hasn't been the case with the FDB Levers.........So far that is.

Guys, you're thinking wrong. Not only are my levers less than a month old and my bike stored inside always, I also live in Newfoundland. We have so much rain and fog we have to take Vitamin D suppliments. UV is not the issue.

Guys, you're thinking wrong. Not only are my levers less than a month old and my bike stored inside always, I also live in Newfoundland. We have so much rain and fog we have to take Vitamin D suppliments. UV is not the issue.

Then I would definitely give FDB's an email and let them know just that. Garage kept and less than a month old?! I'd say that an exchange is in order. You just got a bad set buddy.

I think we've said it before.... they are cheap enough... if they fade? Get 'em powder coated and you're STILL ahead of the Pazzo game and with higher tensile strength alloy too. :D :tup:

Well in that case I guess it's just bad quality control and the old saying, "you get what you paid for" holds true...hopefully they are willing to replace them, but based on other stories I've heard don't count on it.

An update on my FDB levers. The mounting block that the lever attaches to (which then attached to the bike) has started fading from the sun. The actual lever is still black but the other part is fading quite badly.

Not a huge deal though

Guys, you can't expect this cheaply produced Chinese stuff to be as good as a Pazzo or ASV lever. A well anodized part will not fade under normal usage. I use ASV levers and they stand behind their product.....if they break they replace them, if you are unhappy for any reason they will make it right. In these tough times we all are trying to save money, but cheaping out on levers is the wrong place to cut costs. These items are critical for control of the bike, so why cut costs there?? Cut back on other bling and get yourself a good lever.

I just put a set of red ASV's on my FZ1 today; precision fit and they look great and I know they will not be turning my gloves red or be fading in the sun in a few months.

Last edited:
So if someone produced levers that were $300 each, would you buy them because they are the most expensive?

How do you determine when a price of a product is too much or too little?

In these tough times we all are trying to save money, but cheaping out on levers is the wrong place to cut costs. These items are critical for control of the bike, so why cut costs there?? Cut back on other bling and get yourself a good lever.

Just so that you're aware... the Pazzo and ASV use 6061-T6 alloy and the cheap FDB knock-offs use 7075-T6 alloy. Based on the data sheets for both alloys, the cheap knock-offs appear to have the better strength of them all. What they don't have is the product guarantee though. If I was to ever buy a good set of levers, it would be the "unbreakable" ASV ones over the Pazzo. ASV has the ultimate guarantee. :tup: And I think they have the best design on WHY they are unbreakable.

7075-T6
7075 tech sheet T6 temper 7075 has an ultimate tensile strength of 74 - 78,000 psi (510 - 538 MPa) and yield strength of at least 63 - 69,000 psi (434-476 MPa). It has failure elongation of 5-8%.

6061-T6
T6 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (290 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa). More typical values are 45,000 psi (310 MPa) and 40,000 psi (275 MPa), respectively.

I agree. I want the ASVs but I don't have the money for them. Well a better way to put it is I don't want to spend that much money for them. Are they worth it? Yes. When the knockoffs came out, I watched them closely and what others had to say before deciding to bite the bullet just to see if I really needed adjustable levers.

Once I got them I realized for me they are a necessary piece of equipment so I'll always have them. I bent up and scraped up my first pair (the FDBs I first posted about) and am now on my second pair (this time from Shinetrust). The FDBs bent where they mount but not on the tips like some OEMs will do and I only noticed it because of the change in the feel of the lever. I bled my brakes before I replaced the lever thinking that was the cause (they needed it). Once I changed the levers I got the old feel back.

I probably wouldn't have changed them if I hadn't gotten tired of looking at the rashed ends or wanted a different color other than black. I'm very pleased with my knockoffs because of their value and quality. My black ones never faded and the paint never bled onto my gloves. The blue ones are beautiful and I'm getting used to them changing colors with the lighting conditions. I think of them as chameleon blue and the changing colors as an added feature of the levers.

I took a pic the other day and the blue actually matched the bike! I couldn't be happier and am probably one of the few who have adjustable levers that would not if it were not for the knockoffs.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the build quality. The feel, machining, fit, etc. are fine. It's just the color is fading slightly. If it gets bad enough I may get them powdercoated like someone suggested. As it is now, I don't think the color issue would even show on a pic if I posted it. I'm not disappointed and I'm leaving them on the bike.

Just so that you're aware... the Pazzo and ASV use 6061-T6 alloy and the cheap FDB knock-offs use 7075-T6 alloy. Based on the data sheets for both alloys, the cheap knock-offs appear to have the better strength of them all. What they don't have is the product guarantee though. If I was to ever buy a good set of levers, it would be the "unbreakable" ASV ones over the Pazzo. ASV has the ultimate guarantee. :tup: And I think they have the best design on WHY they are unbreakable.

7075-T6
7075 tech sheet T6 temper 7075 has an ultimate tensile strength of 74 - 78,000 psi (510 - 538 MPa) and yield strength of at least 63 - 69,000 psi (434-476 MPa). It has failure elongation of 5-8%.

6061-T6
T6 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (290 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa). More typical values are 45,000 psi (310 MPa) and 40,000 psi (275 MPa), respectively.

Well Eric not to disagree with you, but I have to...lol. First of all you can't really believe what FDB tells you since you don't know if that is truly the aluminum alloy that they use. I would think a reputable company such as ASV or Pazzo would be more likely to state the correct type of alloy they use. Also a stiffer alloy is not necessarily a good thing in this case. Would you want the lever to break or bend? The answer is bend because you could always bend it back to get you home. The stronger alloy is stiffer so more likely to break as opposed to bending.

I agree. I want the ASVs but I don't have the money for them. Well a better way to put it is I don't want to spend that much money for them. Are they worth it? Yes. When the knockoffs came out, I watched them closely and what others had to say before deciding to bite the bullet just to see if I really needed adjustable levers.

Once I got them I realized for me they are a necessary piece of equipment so I'll always have them. I bent up and scraped up my first pair (the FDBs I first posted about) and am now on my second pair (this time from Shinetrust). The FDBs bent where they mount but not on the tips like some OEMs will do and I only noticed it because of the change in the feel of the lever. I bled my brakes before I replaced the lever thinking that was the cause (they needed it). Once I changed the levers I got the old feel back.

I probably wouldn't have changed them if I hadn't gotten tired of looking at the rashed ends or wanted a different color other than black. I'm very pleased with my knockoffs because of their value and quality. My black ones never faded and the paint never bled onto my gloves. The blue ones are beautiful and I'm getting used to them changing colors with the lighting conditions. I think of them as chameleon blue and the changing colors as an added feature of the levers.

I took a pic the other day and the blue actually matched the bike! I couldn't be happier and am probably one of the few who have adjustable levers that would not if it were not for the knockoffs.

You kind of made my point about wanting a "softer" allow that would give instead of breaking or bending in the "wrong" place. The OEM levers are designed so that the tip breaks off first, but the rest of the lever remains functional. This way you're able to get back home (if the bike is still functional otherwise after the crash).

Well Eric not to disagree with you, but I have to...lol. First of all you can't really believe what FDB tells you since you don't know if that is truly the aluminum alloy that they use. I would think a reputable company such as ASV or Pazzo would be more likely to state the correct type of alloy they use. Also a stiffer alloy is not necessarily a good thing in this case. Would you want the lever to break or bend? The answer is bend because you could always bend it back to get you home. The stronger alloy is stiffer so more likely to break as opposed to bending.

You kind of made my point about wanting a "softer" allow that would give instead of breaking or bending in the "wrong" place. The OEM levers are designed so that the tip breaks off first, but the rest of the lever remains functional. This way you're able to get back home (if the bike is still functional otherwise after the crash).

As with ASV, Pazzo or any other, I am taking them at face value. Actually, ASV doesn't come right out and specify the alloy they use. That took a lot of digging to discover their product make-up.

I don't want them to bend or break, but the design of the long levers for both Pazzo and FDB are the same, where the cut-out for the break-point is the same leaving a shorter lever that is still of use. The ASV, as we know, will not bend or break in a typical crash as they rotate completely around so that the lever end can almost touch the center of the handle bars, then snap right back.

I agree and see your point that the softer alloy will bend first but with both designed with the same break point, the end result *should* remain the same... a usable shorty. :D

As with ASV, Pazzo or any other, I am taking them at face value. Actually, ASV doesn't come right out and specify the alloy they use. That took a lot of digging to discover their product make-up.

I don't want them to bend or break, but the design of the long levers for both Pazzo and FDB are the same, where the cut-out for the break-point is the same leaving a shorter lever that is still of use. The ASV, as we know, will not bend or break in a typical crash as they rotate completely around so that the lever end can almost touch the center of the handle bars, then snap right back.

I agree and see your point that the softer alloy will bend first but with both designed with the same break point, the end result *should* remain the same... a usable shorty. :D

Well I know that we're taking what the companies are stating at face value, but I just would trust Pazzo and ASV more...that's all I'm saying.

Well based of what WolfTamer experienced with her levers I'm not sure that they did what they were supposed to do, but maybe that was a fluke based on the type of impact that it sustained. Still it makes me suspect of their (FDB) claim...

I think mine took a good wallop. The handlebar was snatched out of my hand and smashed into the tank leaving a sizable dent then the bike went down on the brake side where the tip got rashed. I suppose the lever got bent downward some. The only result showed where the thinnest parts were. The change in the feel of the lever was very slight but I did notice it.

Frankly, I could care less what they are made of. They are about 70% less than the branded ones and do basically the same job. They haven't come apart in my hands or left me without a lever when I needed one. IMO they are not made to really compete with the brands because those who can afford the brands will buy the brands. I can not afford the brands so these gave me a good way to have adjustable levers that seem like they will last a good long while. Maybe during their life I'll save up for the ASVs but it's unlikely.

When i bought my first set, the FDBs, I realized there is probably only one or two manufacturers and several sellers. I went with FDB because they offered black levers with black adjusters and were the only ones doing so at the time.

Levers took about 2 weeks to arrive to Memphis. I really like them. Nice inexpensive upgrade from the stock levers.

Nice!! I did find that mine are fading in the sun but at this price, as I've mentioned before, if it bothers me too much, I'll take them in for powder coating. ;) I was considering a matte-satin coating.

Cannot beat the price!!

For the price they are pretty good. I was happy with my FDB levers but, as others have stated, they have started to fade a little.
I just bought a set of ASV F3 levers and they are much better than the FDB levers and are even better than Pazzos.
There is no play in them what-so-ever and the fine tuning ability of the ASV's is awesome.
The ASV F3's have a 3 year warranty if they break, even if you crash your bike.
They cost around $150 USD and are an excellent product.

Back