extreme ripoff or is the dealer right???

I have an "08" in every bit as good a condition as the "07" you have listed with about 6000 fewer miles. I also have it equipped with a PCIII because I used to have a MIVV on it. I had mine listed for a couple months for $4500 and not even a bite, except for some guy from Moscow who I wasn't crazy about dealing with. In the end I said screw it, I'lll keep the damed thing, which I am. I also have a pristine XS1100 that I have listed for $1999 and again not a bite. The dealers may be high, in some cases, but after all they do have overhead costs that individuals don't, plus the money to buy has to come from somewhere and they have to pay interest on that. From my experience, a lot of "lookers" think they should get the good stuff for the same price as the stuff ready for the bone yard. It takes two to tango and if both parties are willing to work on it, they can both be happy.

Just a heads up, in CA, I purchased an 07 FZ1 for 5,500 out the door from a BMW dealer. It had the gel seat, a vstream windshield, a $500 Scorpio alarm system, and only 1300 miles on the odometer. Essentially a brand new motorcycle. Some doof traded it in on a BMW 1000 cc sportbike.

I hate all of you guys finding these good deals:frown:

Here in New England, dealers know that the riding season is only 4-6 months so they're not dropping prices quickly

I paid $4000.00 for my 06 with 11K miles, Then I put another $1500.00 in it. Here in Utah I probably could sell it for $4500-$5000 if I sat on it for awhile. I think the dealer brings a sense of security to the deal, People probably think it's been gone through and passed all the checks. I am not sure if that is what happens at all dealerships or not.

Keep looking, deals are out there. In '10 I bought a '09 new from a dealer for $7500, and it was April.

Check out the other board fz1oa, a few bikes there for sale at a good price.

I think the dealer brings a sense of security to the deal, People probably think it's been gone through and passed all the checks.

I was thinking that when I was looking at an 06 last week at a dealer. While I was waiting for a plate for the test ride, I was looking over everything that needed to be done: new tires front and back (4+ years old), full fluids flush, suspension refresh. Then they were asking $6k + all the other fees.

Just writing this out makes me feel better about not putting down a deposit (it was a good test ride).

To the OP - I think that price is way too high and that dealer is trying to get as much mula as he can. Unfortunately - you are buying during the peak season. People are buying bikes right now and dealers can charge more.
If there is any way possible - I would wait until October. That has been my lucky month.
I would stay away from the dealerships if you can and buy from the forums. Buy from someone with a good reputation. We are a pretty close little community and if someone posts something fishy for sale - you can count on one of us calling them on it.
Another advantage of buying on the forums is that you can get a bike with upgrades already installed and SAVE HUGE amounts of doe!!!! I mean I have seen some real steals on these forums but the down side is you have to be patient.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search.

This is a great thread. Especially for guys like me who are in the process of searching for a great deal on a FZ1.

I finally found an FZ1 in NY with 8k miles for $6k and judging from your input that's just too much. :tdown:

This is a great thread. Especially for guys like me who are in the process of searching for a great deal on a FZ1.

I finally found an FZ1 in NY with 8k miles for $6k and judging from your input that's just too much. :tdown:

Depends.......what year is it? Maybe you could make an offer? Test ride it?

It's an 08 with 8k miles. The dealer says its in perfect condition.. Maybe for $6k it isnt such a bad deal after all.

That's not a bad deal. Think of it in terms of a 05 Gen l. Most likely that would be in the $4500 neighborhood. So your price is only 1500 over that -but, up a Gen and 3 years newer with likely less miles.
There's kind of a lower limit to these bikes - prices.
Seems like you are getting close - for the year and miles.

I hope you don't mess around trying to shave a few pennies and miss out on the ridding that you want to do.

I think I posted this in another thread when I was looking, but I just bought a '09, 6500 miles, all stock cosmetically but with all of Ivan's mods already done, full Yoshi exhaust, and a full set of Givi hard bags and quick release racks for $6000 from a local guy near me.

If you're willing to travel a little and are patient, you can find killer deals, even in April. :tup:

Lindy, I agree the deal doesn't seem too bad and I'm in no rush to buy. I just want to find the right bike for the right price.

As far as local deals, I've found a few Gen IIs on Craigslist with relatively low miles for around $5k, which I think are great deals. I just need to find time to drive out and look at them.

Back