extreme ripoff or is the dealer right???

This is at the dealer a few miles from my house. KBB says $5200, they want $7200. I asked why they are listing it for over $2K more than KBB, especially with high miles and they said KBB isn't accurate, and this reflects true market price. I gave them some hell and they said they would knock it down to $6200, then take $250 more off if I finance it. Still seems like a lot for a high mile bike?????

2007 Yamaha FZ1 STAR CITY MOTOR SPORTS, INC. LINCOLN, NE 1-800-439-2453

I went through the same exact thing last year. Dealers were severely overcharging, along with private sales too, and refused to come down. Tis the season and they must actually get fools who come in and overpay. For that money you could probably find a new leftover.

25K isn't a "high mileage" FZ1 for starters...

But... get away from that dealer. Look around on a few forums and you'll find a much better deal... You might have to travel a little bit to go pick one up... but if you're saving 2k, you can drive a few miles.

KBB is used by car dealers. NADAGuides is the consumer copy of it. Average retail on NADAGuides is $5905 but I'd not give more than $5500 for it, maybe $6k OTD. Anything more than this and you've cheated yourself. ;)

I paid $1300 more for a brand new 2011. Just missed a New 2009 for $6799 at a dealer last year.......sold the day before I called.

Your dealer sounds like a crook to me........find another dealer.

Last edited:
Keep looking.
They are giving them away in Florida. So funny that the gen2s prices down here(used) keep dropping......And the gen1's are too high IMO.

Mar 3 - Yamaha 2006 v-Star 650 Classic for Sale - $3500 (Kendall) motorcycles/scooters - by owner pic
Feb 25 - 09 Yamaha FZ1 - $6300 (Kendall) motorcycles/scooters - by owner pic
Feb 25 - 2007 Yamaha FZ1-S, EASY FINANCYNG, LAYAWAY PLAN! TRADES? - $6395 (Hollywood, Florida) motorcycles/scooters - by dealer img

Presently there are Yamaha incentives knocking $1250 off 2011 FZ-1 models without haggling.

When I bought my FZ1 I researched dealer prices within 150-miles, took the low and the high prices, with four prices in between then averaged. Gave me a realistic idea of a buying price.

Many dealers will list a very low price, but tack on a number of unadvertised *fees* when you show.

I paid $1300 more for a brand new 2011. Just missed a New 2009 for $6799 at a dealer last year.......sold the day before I called.

Your dealer sounds like a crook to me........find another dealer.

the problem is dealers advetise bikes with good startup price just to get u in, and then slap u with few different fees that rise price 1k more, so u need to know how to nego...time of purchase is important also i bought mine 2011 leftover for 8500$ +tax otd is that good????? im happy

Damn I should not look at the prices you guys pay.

I wish you could post a warning for us Aussies not to look at the prices you pay! We pay 2x plus. And our Dollar is now worth more (apparently).

One thing to consider is the instant loss of value with a left over model. You own a used 2,3,4 year old bike the second you pull out of the parking lot.

KBB in my zip code currently has a $1850 dollar difference listed between a used 2011 and a used 2009 with the same mileage.

So if you tend to get a new bike every few years whatever you save on the initial purchase may be lost on resale.

If your keeping it 7-10 years it wont make much or any difference.

Last edited:
Back