ECU Flash + Airbox Mod, Slip-on, gutted Cat what to expect?

Hi Guys,

My first post. I owned my FZ 2007 for 5 years now. It's a brilliant bike but after an earlier upgrade with Leovince GP PRO and 16 and 46T sprocket it's time for more.
I have the following two scenario's in mind:

Above setup +
Dynorun and ECU Flash @ local dealership + Airbox Mod, BMC Airfilter , gutted Cat

Or Above setup +
IVAN ECU + Powercommander + Dyno + Airbox Mod,BMC Airfilter , gutted Cat

The first setup will cost me around 350 euro the ivan setup will cost me arround 800 euro.
At this moment if have no issues with throtle response or something. The main reson for the ECU flash is the limiter in the 3rd gears and a little bit more midrange power.

I couldn't find any dyno chart on the first scenario. What to expect?

Thanks!

Hi Redline RIder,
Welcome.

Good to see one more from the Netherlands.
Can you please share some more (location) about the option made by the local dealership?
Not every dealer is willing to do it.

Cheers,

Just my opinion but the best thing to invest in is a Yoshimura full system. Gives a big boost to the mid range. Then get Ivan's Flash to release all sorts of goodies, with a BMC filter (Not K&N they don't fit). Don't do the airbox mod. As I said just my opinion.

I agree with what Blanchy said,

Full system
Ivan Flash & PCV
BMC airfilter (I would add in AIS block off here)
Dynotune

no airbox mod

just my $0.02

Why not do the airbox mod ?
At worst, it adds nothing. I haven't read anything about performing less or troubles.
Or can you point some things out ? I'm still doubting to do it myself

The airbox mod is very noisy ( i liked mine ) i also liked the Graves full exhaust not the most powerful but it is the lightest and beautiful since you loose the passenger peg /exhaust hanger . Oh the airbox mod is a bad idea if you ride alot in the rain .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go to your local dealer. he's local. and you'll need fueling done with ivans flash anyway so you'll be seeing him for the custom fueling you need to get done with that setup. you'll have such an improvement you won't need a full exhaust system unless you really feel like wasting money. the majority of the improvements are in the throttle response and smoothness

go to your local dealer. he's local. and you'll need fueling done with ivans flash anyway so you'll be seeing him for the custom fueling you need to get done with that setup. you'll have such an improvement you won't need a full exhaust system unless you really feel like wasting money. the majority of the improvements are in the throttle response and smoothness

Ivan's map will need a dynotune doesn't matter who does it, his map did not suite my bike for Aussie conditions, I hazard a guess it will also not suite European either. Any ECU flash will require a new map for fuelling no matter who does it.

Ivan has a great rep for his flash and I love mine with the tune I had custom made for it. I don't know what a Yamaha dealer would do in the way of a flash. I know the dealer I deal with will not do any ECU flashes as they are opening up a can of legal worms if they do. However all the guys there have had their bikes flashed elsewhere (most ride MT09, R1 or R6).

If you did a Full System before anything else, you would not say that. I did and the instant boost in mid range was stunning.

Ivan's map will need a dynotune doesn't matter who does it, his map did not suite my bike for Aussie conditions, I hazard a guess it will also not suite European either. Any ECU flash will require a new map for fuelling no matter who does it.

Ivan has a great rep for his flash and I love mine with the tune I had custom made for it. I don't know what a Yamaha dealer would do in the way of a flash. I know the dealer I deal with will not do any ECU flashes as they are opening up a can of legal worms if they do. However all the guys there have had their bikes flashed elsewhere (most ride MT09, R1 or R6).

As I understood, the fuelling is not altered in the flash, so why does it need dynotune ?
For example If the bike were to run fine with open airfilter / gutted cat and an open slipon.
Why would it need a Powercommander and map after the flash ?

Ivan's map will need a dynotune doesn't matter who does it, his map did not suite my bike for Aussie conditions, I hazard a guess it will also not suite European either. Any ECU flash will require a new map for fueling no matter who does it.

i may have misread and then miss-posted because of it. i'm assuming when he said local dealer he meant local dyno/flashtune dealer and i just mirrored his terminology. you are correct, if its a Yamaha dealership, they won't do a performance flash on an ecu, only factory permitted fixes.

If you did a Full System before anything else, you would not say that. I did and the instant boost in mid range was stunning.

to me, it's not worth $1,500 on a street bike. the changes made by the flash make the bike so much more enjoyable on it's own, the little bump you get from a full system over a slip on isn't worth it. with the timing and fueling changes, change in engine breaking and way the throttle is truly connected to the rear tire so smoothly, makes the bike a perfect street ride as is. i'd highly recommend going with the flash first. with ftecu (flashtune), re-flashes for upgrades are free(they lock their codes to the ecu, once unlocked it's good to go for re-flashes), so if i find a killer deal maybe i'll pick one up and re-flash it but not new.

As I understood, the fueling is not altered in the flash, so why does it need dynotune ?
For example If the bike were to run fine with open air filter / gutted cat and an open slip-on.
Why would it need a Powercommander and map after the flash ?

you understand incorrectly. the bike is not fine to run open filter/gutted cat/slip-on. it's not running optimally, your air fuel ratios will be off quite a bit. the fueling is not altered in the flash, that is correct. however, with the changes made to the timing maps and whatnot, the fueling needs to be corrected even more so, otherwise you risk damaging your engine. if you advance or retard your timing and shove a bunch of extra air in there and then create a bunch of exhaust flow, but are using the same fueling as stock (which is by itself off by almost a whole 1 point as is), you are not getting the benefits of the mods you make and potentially running dangerous levels of lean or so rich it won't make any power. the bike doesn't adjust the fueling for you.

with the modifications you're suggesting, your fueling can be so far off, it can be harmful to the engine and damage it or shorten it's lifetime. on the dyno, they'll (supposedly) create a fuel map to get you to an optimal air fuel ratio that will give you the best efficiency and performance. this is, usually, around a 13.4:1 air fuel ratio. i say usually because it can vary slightly on different bikes or applications.

[

to me, it's not worth $1,500 on a street bike. the changes made by the flash make the bike so much more enjoyable on it's own, the little bump you get from a full system over a slip on isn't worth it. with the timing and fueling changes, change in engine breaking and way the throttle is truly connected to the rear tire so smoothly, makes the bike a perfect street ride as is. i'd highly recommend going with the flash first. with ftecu (flashtune), re-flashes for upgrades are free(they lock their codes to the ecu, once unlocked it's good to go for re-flashes), so if i find a killer deal maybe i'll pick one up and re-flash it but not new.

I reiterate. If you were to have tried JUST the Full Yoshi system you would not be so offhanded in your opinion. It may look like a small bump on a dyno but it is a huge difference on the road. Had my bike lifting the front wheel in 1st and 2nd off the throttle under the 8k power surge with a stock front sprocket. It also cost me less than Australian $900 delivered.

A $400 SLIP ON IS THE BEST PERFORMANCE MOD YOU CAN DO !!!
Hearing those 20 valves cracking like a whip is priceless !! Its the only MUST DO PERFORMANCE MOD [emoji457]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reiterate. If you were to have tried JUST the Full Yoshi system you would not be so offhanded in your opinion. It may look like a small bump on a dyno but it is a huge difference on the road. Had my bike lifting the front wheel in 1st and 2nd off the throttle under the 8k power surge with a stock front sprocket. It also cost me less than Australian $900 delivered.

you have some good prices on new exhausts down there! ive ridden fz1s with full systems. i understand what you're talking about. i really do. with the flash it does that too, which costs much less and gives even more in return. i'm just about the most for the least, if that makes sense. up here the yosh is about a grand and graves is about 1400 and akro is 1550. you're right, it's the full package, which who doesn't want? i just have a price limit. every full system i've ever bought i find a deal on a used one for whatever bike it is, track, street etc so until i find it for less than half, my personal fz won't get one. hence i said, to me, it's not worth it, especially for a street bike where i'm not wanting wheelies and every last hp, thats why i have track bikes

Thanks for the information. I will go for the Ivan ECU flash with airbox mod / gutted cat.
I don't want a full Yoshi system because i love my Leovinci GPPRO ;)

Did understood correctly that Ivan can provide a map for the PC3 / PCV?
It will save some money at this stage and next year i can tune it on the dyno with a custom map.

Cheers!

i made some progress. i installed the pcv, made the airbox mod en and my ECU is currently shipped back from Ivan.
One question, I always ride with a db killer in my gppro is there any approvement or need the gutting the cat?

i made some progress. i installed the pcv, made the airbox mod en and my ECU is currently shipped back from Ivan.
One question, I always ride with a db killer in my gppro is there any approvement or need the gutting the cat?

gut the cat. helps de-restrict airflow. and you still need a dyno tune to get your fueling dialed in.

Back