Colorado 2014

I wish things would have worked out to where John & I could have ridden west to meet you somewhere :(
But you'll enjoy Colorado just the same ;)

and I would like to Welcome your Dad (?) to the forum......least I hope he is.......but who else would join under "Oldschool's Dad?" LOL!

We are in Buena Vista a day early. We were just dumped on yesterday near the Colorado, Wyoming Border, and it came down HARD. When we arrived at Hahn's Peak campground it started up again and rained all night and this morning until we finally got south of Steamboat Springs. My mood was as dark as the sky and we decided to skip the section of the COBDR that ran to Gypsum, since it was not advised when wet. We jumped back on around Leadville, CO and it started out dry and fairly easy. It turned wet and ugly and very technical after about an hour and I had a hard crash and hurt my hip. I am not sure what the damage is to me but I don't think despite the pain that it is any more than a deep bone bruise. We are carrying on tomorrow after some minor bike repairs.

A few teaser shots;

After My Crash.

Rough news. I really hope that you're OK and nothing serious comes about from the crash. Thanks for posting this update! I was getting worried

Thanks for the report, you guys looked a bit whooped. That technical stuff can get real exhausting and the elevation doesn't help. As my good dualsport friend always says about back country riding "it all good, even when it's bad- it's good"

Take care, Motrin can be your friend for a few days.

Lake City Colorado

Rough news. I really hope that you're OK and nothing serious comes about from the crash. Thanks for posting this update! I was getting worried

I'll live to ride another day. We just finished section 3 of the COBDR. There was one crazy technical section, but it was mostly dry so we all made it through with no drama today.

Ouch.

Was it an on road or off road crash Lee?

Years ago I low sided my Yamaha Vision on Rabbit Ears pass at about 10pm. Be careful.

It was up beside the dirt road on the scrub. I hit a big rock that tossed me to the right and down onto the road. My hip landed on the dislodged rock. I have a nasty red and purple spot on my right hip from a little internal bleeding.

Thanks for the report, you guys looked a bit whooped. That technical stuff can get real exhausting and the elevation doesn't help. As my good dualsport friend always says about back country riding "it all good, even when it's bad- it's good"

Take care, Motrin can be your friend for a few days.

The good Excedrin down here is taking the edge off, Oh and some nice gold Tequila.;)

Day One “Into The Great Wide Open”

“Under them skies so blue”

And so it begins, another adventure, another day of discovery, freedom from the mundane, and release from the daily routine. I will never tire of the exhilaration and elation that comes with the departure day of a bike trip. The destination really doesn’t matter; it is simply the setting out that does. The process of planning and preparing completed and all that remains is the journey itself. Doing something for the pure, unadulterated joy and pleasure of it, (which sums up how I feel about riding, and about traveling). I don’t expect anything from it, and don’t expect to leave my mark on the world, so I do this for me, and for the experience.

The day started clear and cool, with a touch of dew on the deck as I departed early am. I had to stop at the gas station before heading to our (now) traditional starting point for bike trips, Cora's. I was, as always, early and so I went inside to stake out a table and get my first coffee of the day. My wife, Julie had gotten up much earlier than she likes to see me off and I was surprised, but gad she did.

A few coffees after I arrived at Cora's, Paul rolled up, proud to show off his new decal work, having made his own "Pablo X" artwork, with a crossed chili as the "X". Ian wasn't interested in Breakfast so he rolled in just before we had agreed to leave.

The drive south to Waterton and the Chief Mountain Border Crossing was well worn road for all of us and the crossing was easy and straight forward. The road south to Babb was narrow, fairly smooth and entertaining with the usual delinquent cows to dodge.

We stopped in Babb, Montana to take a break and hydrate. I led the crew across highway 49 into East Glacier, a wonderful twisting section of pavement that sport bikers would love. We jumped off pavement onto Heart Butte Cutoff that eventually led us to Highway 89 and on to Choteou, MT, where we fueled and bought firewood before heading out to the Pishkun Reserviour for the night. I played Wood hauler and it was a bit ungainly but I still managed to enjoy the loose gravel, with a very planted front end, a result of me being very forward on the seat.

The Campground was very much in a state of disrepair, a result of government cutbacks, I suspect. That detail aside the Piskun Reservoir is a beautiful spot, and the remoteness was great, and the water crystal clear. We relaxed having put the first 550 plus kilometers behind us. We cooked dinner on an open fire and enjoyed a good single malt as the sun set on day one of the adventure.

Last edited:
really enjoying your tripreport Lee...one day I hope to ride along.
Hope the hip is getting better and not hindering you to enjoy the rest of your trip.
Stay safe, have fun even when it hurts and keep those beautiful picturec coming...

Rain

I hope today will be drier for you all......it's supposed to be anyway.
Did the Tequila do the job on that hip? ;)

Bloody Rain every day! Mornings are mostly dry, except today while packing up to leave Telluride (Sunshine Campground). I brought a huge tarp and guy lines so we at least had out table covered.

The Tequila, like most analgesics worked for a time. It is tender, and I am sure I broke a bone but it isn't stopping me riding. I had a fist sized blood spot appear around my appendix scar, but it isn't spreading and I feel fine.

really enjoying your tripreport Lee...one day I hope to ride along.
Hope the hip is getting better and not hindering you to enjoy the rest of your trip.
Stay safe, have fun even when it hurts and keep those beautiful pictures coming...

Thanks, I will.

Last edited:
Non Sequiter Teaser

Imogene Pass, from the Telluride side up past Tomboy Mines. The hardest 7 miles I have ever ridden going up to the summit. The ride down was a real challenge as well. Both Paul and Ian Crashed (Paul twice) but both low speed and no one was hurt. Actually, Ian only stalled and had to turn around, go down a bit and take another run at the bad part.

Ian at the Summit of California Pass.

Last edited:
I just saw the forecast for today, and I do hope you are not wet already :(
But at least Imogene and California Passes are still pretty, even in sucky weather.

Last edited:
I just saw the forecast for today, and I do hope you are not wet already :(
But at least Imogene and California Passes are still pretty, even in sucky weather.

OH, we got wet alright. Not a day has passed in Colorado's Monsoon season without rain. I type this from Rawlins, Wyoming KOA. Rawlins, a desolate wasteland, but the sun is shiny for now as the wind howls through. We had a beautiful day to finish Colorado, and she let us stay dry as we departed. Wyoming gave us a taste of rain and wind as we rolled in.

Despite the daily rain, when it mattered Colorado showed us her colors, and beauty. I hope to return to complete some unfinished business with a few of her passes!

Ahh, Rawlins...such a wonderful place... From I80 is the turn toward Yellowstone and home of Travel Centers of American. Buy gas there...then pin it!

Last edited:
Day Two “Meet Me Under That Big Montana Sky”

Not a Dental Floss Farmer to be seen.

In case you are wondering, it is an obscure Frank Zappa reference to Montana from one of his songs. Google is not always your friend.......

Morning came early as it always does for me with the first rays of light, long before the official sunrise peaked above the low hills to the east. I used the clear water of the reservoir to wash up, caveman-style, balancing on racks a foot from shore. A breakfast of instant oatmeal and coffee produced with the handy Jetboil. The mosquitoes welcomed the foreign blood supply as we finished breaking camp and set off along the canal road toward Augusta, MT. The 2-track was extremely overgrown and very coarse and rocky in spots, good practice for what lay ahead on our journey. The cows ranging along its path looked confused by our passing. We saw the occasional deer along the irrigation Canal as well.

[video=youtube;gCnM7nuyfX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnM7nuyfX8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;pidNCH-EDpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidNCH-EDpA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

We discovered thatjust 6 miles north of Augusta the bridge on Hwy 89 was out, so we had a 40 mile detour to get back on track. They tell me it is only when things don't go as planned that the "adventure" really starts. The Adventure was on!

The countryside was vast and breathtaking, and as we headed south through Wyoming toward Ashton Idaho, it wasa feast for the senses. We stopped in Ennis, MT for lunch before taking the Final stretch to Riverside campground just north of Ashton Idaho. In Ennis, we decided on the"Grizzly Bar" for sustenance.I though it was an original name until I saw 3 others as we continued on.

[video=youtube;S-3wJjUsa24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3wJjUsa24&feature=youtu.be[/video]

More to come.....

Last edited:
Day 3 “To A Better State than This”

“Living in Our own Private Idaho”

After having used the cold, raging river as bathtub, and laundry facility the day before, we broke camp early as always, foregoing camp coffee for the same restaurant in Ashton Idaho that Ian & I had enjoyed last year. The republican lady that gave us a grilling the previous year was no where to be seen this time. It was still taxidermy-hell inside with all the local fossils inside having breakfast as well. The coffee was horrible but the food edible and judging by later in the day, not poisonous.

After filling up we carried on across Ashton-Flagg Ranch road at Yellowstone's southern border. A few miles on the highway south, and we once again found ourselves on another great, scenic two-track. A quick fill up at a remote fuel stop, slash cabin place and another short but spectacular bit of pavement that would connect us to the next great gravel pass.

[video=youtube;wND1JlLUJOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wND1JlLUJOE&list=UURQ_SJd_yIHl-omeno392ew[/video]

It was rutted and in poor shape in places and one mistake and the results would be dire.

On one section of road I passed a little nothing-town before climbing a steep but easy twisty pass. I saw a group of quads and a bike but paid little attention to them other than to wave hi. I was ahead of them the whole time, but Paul and Ian had the group pass them after a photo stop. Apparently the bike-guy was wearing cowboy boots, shorts and a sidearm, and nothing else. Well at least he had protection from something, if not a crash.....

We enjoyed back roads right into Pinedale Wyoming, and because I had not had access to internet, was still hoping to meet up with Dustin at Wind River Pizza. Alas it was not to be, learned once connected to their WI-Fi while enjoying GREAT Pizza.

[video=youtube;o1RPVQTm_-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1RPVQTm_-A&list=UURQ_SJd_yIHl-omeno392ew[/video]

I'm sorry we could not meet up. Then we headed up to Half-Moon Lake north of town, only to find the campground full, and "Upper" Half-moon Campground closed due to weather damage. I stopped at the Half Moon Lake Resort to ask for alternatives and was fully prepared to "wild camp" and was discussing this outside of the resort with my comrades when a guest of the resort overheard us. He had purchased the last spot at the campground and decided to stay at the resort instead. He had paid and gave us the receipt and would not take the money for it. We thanked him and rode back to the empty site that now belong to us. The campground was a bit rough and without host, but would do for the night. The lake was clear and had a nice sandy beach, suitable for bathing and laundry.

We had to chase abandoned dogs out of our campsite (the marine air-horn worked great for that) and listen to those same bark incessantly until well finally put in ear plugs to get some shut eye. The dusty (we hoped) roads of Wyoming awaited.

Last edited:
Back