Cleaning chain ?

We used nothing but WD-40 in the dirt and Sand dunes on our 520 Orings. Never ever an issue. When I got the Fz I started with WD but went to Motul. Seems to work good, but is getting black and gunky. Good info folks.

Buddy had some road oil or tar on is his tuck, said watch this. Some WD on a rag and woosh is was gone ??

How do you like the DuPont stuff? I've been trying it but it seems to just make nasty buildup everywhere and collect grime

I've been using Dupont lube for all my bikes. I love it. I dont get any buildup. Put it on a warm chain, let it dry. No sling off or anything for me. Dries like a wax almost.

Just throwing this out there since WD has been mentioned a few times in this thread, it works better as a hand cleaner than any other hand cleaner Ive come across and washes off easily.

Simple Green sprayed on and detail brushed, rag to clean residual, then lithium grease as a lube. BTW, Simple Green is a great degreaser, won't harm the o-rings, and is environmentally friendly--non-toxic.

Simple Green sprayed on and detail brushed, rag to clean residual, then lithium grease as a lube. BTW, Simple Green is a great degreaser, won't harm the o-rings, and is environmentally friendly--non-toxic.

I hadn't thought of Simple Green for the chain. I'm going to soak my grill grates in it to get it cleaned up for the season. I might just have to use it on the bike too!

It'll probably pick up tons of crud and accumulate as time goes on. It gets on everything as well. Nasty stuff

I mean when it comes to longevity.

Has anyone done any studies to see if a chain lasts longer if it is cleaned and lubed ever 500-1000 miles vs a chain that is just lubed?

I know a chain that is not lubed at all will dry out and have issues.

I mean when it comes to longevity.

Has anyone done any studies to see if a chain lasts longer if it is cleaned and lubed ever 500-1000 miles vs a chain that is just lubed?

I know a chain that is not lubed at all will dry out and have issues.

Haven't seen any studies about this but I suspect a lubed only chain will last as long as one fastidiously cleaned. I use a grunge brush and WD-40 in the spring and fall to clean the chain, and lube it every 200-300 miles in the meantime. No issues.

Haven't seen any studies about this but I suspect a lubed only chain will last as long as one fastidiously cleaned. I use a grunge brush and WD-40 in the spring and fall to clean the chain, and lube it every 200-300 miles in the meantime. No issues.

I figure all the sand and grit and junk from the roads that collects in the chain lube must play havoc on the moving parts and accelerate wear. For sure there's a big difference in resistance between a clean and dirty chain when you just spin it by hand. Whether that means anything, I don't know

Back